Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Our Away Form

Needs to improve markedly if we are to reach the playoffs.

So far this season we've picked up 16 points from 16 away games. Continue at the same rate and we get another 7 away points meaning we need to get 17 points from our remaining 6 home games to reach 75.

On to Blackburn then............

(Our remaining away games are at Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston and Birmingham).

I've come to the conclusion that we have to adopt the Lambert approach. There is no such thing as an away game, there are just games. We are one of the top 4 teams in the division at the moment. Ignore the opposition, stick to our formation and just go for it. 

I do accept tactics have a huge part to play but so does attitude. I remember a story Kevin Keegan told about a Friday team meeting at Liverpool. The assistant manager had a flip chart and presented the opposition team and system. Shankly knocked it over, turned to the players and said "4 4 2, they're sh*t. Just play. And by the way, Moore's legs have gone". Keegan said it was a narrow win and the first time he'd played Bobby Moore who didn't give him a kick. 

Lambert was similar (some think he was a bully) but the players always thought they were going to win. If you think you're going to win you're more likely to. 

I've accepted the likelihood that we will need to beat Birmingham away last game of the season, probably by a certain number of goals unless other results go our way.

Trouble is there is little margin for error but that applies to every other club as well. On paper our run in is a bit easier, so definitely not impossible.