Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

Two Keepers in the Bench

DW, post match, explained the two goalies on bench. Duffy was supposed to travel and Ansen was meant to be the spare in the squad. Then just before they set off for the plane Duffy had to pull out. They could have called in one of the u21s who played at Old Trafford, it was discussed,  but Wagner explained all those u21s in and around first team training had played 90 min against Man U and so the consensus was to put Ansen on the bench. 

No need for conspiracy theories; no need for gripes.

10 hours ago, RobJames said:

The U21 squad, who were playing a game less than 24 hours before ? So, then hang about Manchester so you can sit on the bench at Anfield the next day ? Gosh, that is going to help the player's development immensely. How many games did Rowe sit on the first team bench, and what part did it play in his development ? And why was Ansen not gaining this development experience ?

When would this lucky chappie be told he is to sit on the bench the day after the U21 game ? Before or after that U21 game ? When was it known that Duffy was being pulled out of the FA Cup squad ?

Yes, that U21 squad. He could have chosen to promote one of those youngsters to the first-team bench in lieu of playing for the U21s the previous day, but he elected not to.

Thanks for the characteristically condenscending reply, by the way. Are you @Bill, by any chance? Your demeanour and style of writing is remarkably similar.

This is the second time Wagner has done this now I’d say he is sending a message.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, that U21 squad. He could have chosen to promote one of those youngsters to the first-team bench in lieu of playing for the U21s the previous day, but he elected not to.

Thanks for the characteristically condenscending reply, by the way. Are you @Bill, by any chance? Your demeanour and style of writing is remarkably similar.

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Would you rather play 90 minutes for the under 21's or get on a plane & sit on the bench for 90 minutes? Playing is preferable. 

Personally I don’t think we should be doing anything to appease Adoh or his agents. The guy has never played first team football but seems to think he is more capable than the current first team. Sure his agent might strike a decent deal elsewhere or the guy might be an out of contract 19 year old in the summer without a club.

47 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Would you rather play 90 minutes for the under 21's or get on a plane & sit on the bench for 90 minutes? Playing is preferable. 

Have to disagree with you on this one. If I was a teenager on my first pro contract who was playing regularly for the U21s, would I rather play 90 minutes behind closed doors or in front of a couple of hundred fans, or be on the bench at Anfield in front of 50,000-odd fans in the most iconic cup competition in world football? It'd be a real 'pinch me' moment, as well as a sign that the club recognises my talent and wants to help give me a pathway to the first team.

21 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Have to disagree with you on this one. If I was a teenager on my first pro contract who was playing regularly for the U21s, would I rather play 90 minutes behind closed doors or in front of a couple of hundred fans, or be on the bench at Anfield in front of 50,000-odd fans in the most iconic cup competition in world football? It'd be a real 'pinch me' moment, as well as a sign that the club recognises my talent and wants to help give me a pathway to the first team.

Sitting down at Anfield is better than playing at Old Trafford?

Strange choice.

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Sitting down at Anfield is better than playing at Old Trafford?

Strange choice.

Well not really, if you consider the full reasoning behind my post. The whole point of the youth team is to get people ready for the first team, so why would you rather play for the youth team than be on the bench for the first team? A chance to play in the FA Cup, even if just for a few minutes, against some of the best players in the world? Or a game against other youth players in a nearly empty stadium?

To be fair, I hadn't actually realised the U21s game was at Old Trafford, which does add a little more weight to your argument. Would still rather have a chance to share a pitch with Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Alisson in front of 50,000 though!

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well not really, if you consider the full reasoning behind my post. The whole point of the youth team is to get people ready for the first team, so why would you rather play for the youth team than be on the bench for the first team? A chance to play in the FA Cup, even if just for a few minutes, against some of the best players in the world? Or a game against other youth players in a nearly empty stadium?

To be fair, I hadn't actually realised the U21s game was at Old Trafford, which does add a little more weight to your argument. Would still rather have a chance to share a pitch with Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Alisson in front of 50,000 though!

'share'. 🤣

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

'share'. 🤣

Don't understand what's funny about that.