Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Quality Street

1 minute ago, Herman said:

What is she upser about BTW? 

Quality street replaced all the old shiny plastic wrappers with these rather bland and boring paper ones. I mean, they are pretty awful in comparison but it's not exactly worth her reaction

63092163-0-image-a-2_1664884278018.jpg

• Haha 1

I think she should be kicking off about the shrinkflation to be honest.

f05c6fff14a2aa1496e5a03a43e35913.png.f990337a397c2b4fd68d51635c6b72cb.png

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Liz Truss has let herself go. 

I played the video without reading your comment and started giggling immediately because of the likeness to the cheese speech 😂

Posted (edited)

Jeez, and to think this is actually a UK voter.

Not poverty (edit: Inequality Street), or local services that have been hammered, hell, not even potholes.

Pathetic -  that word doesn't even start to describe this outrage.

Wonder if a wind up really?

Edited by sonyc

On 07/01/2024 at 13:10, sonyc said:

Not poverty (edit: Inequality Street), or local services that have been hammered, hell, not even potholes.

Well, you probably didn't think it could get as pathetic as the initial video. It sure did.

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

Well, you probably didn't think it could get as pathetic as the initial video. It sure did.

Ah yes, the 'rare as hen's teeth' Welsh Tory.

He is a little bit of a wind up merchant. I watch the stuff that is argued in the Senedd (like the Scottish Assembly the debates are decent, respectful.....and in Mark Drakeford, I find that he speaks very slowly and clearly if he ever speaks in Welsh and as a student I like that very much). 

Maybe you've seen this video clip before (in this article below)?. Drakeford put Davies in his place.

That said, Davies is probably not even half as bad as some Tories in Westminster!

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-10-18/mark-drakeford-attacks-opposition-leader-andrew-rt-davies-in-angry-exchange

• Thanks 1

Cheers Sonyc. I remembered that as it was the first and last time I had seen Mr Drakeford, the most passive and calmest man on these isles, get the hump.👍

Good luck with the Welsh language. How on earth do you pronounce this word?

"The Llywydd was then forced to intervene urging for them to calm down."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Cheers Sonyc. I remembered that as it was the first and last time I had seen Mr Drakeford, the most passive and calmest man on these isles, get the hump.👍

Good luck with the Welsh language. How on earth do you pronounce this word?

"The Llywydd was then forced to intervene urging for them to calm down."

The LL is pronounced softly - a bit like a sssh sound but place your tongue on your top teeth (a softish th sound in effect is produced) and the DD at the end is also soft - in this case a 'th' sound. So, it would be....

Th loo with 

Llywydd is the president and Drakeford is still the outgoing Prif Weinidog (literally First Minister). Not the Big Dog Johnson we used to hear about!

• Thanks 1

On 07/01/2024 at 13:10, sonyc said:

I have to take issue with you here sonyc. That could have been my wife - not because she resembles Liz Truss, thank god - but because she was upset about the loss of a traditional Christmas experience from childhood of opening a tin of jewel-like chocolates. Nostalgia matters to most of us in some form, especially at Christmas, and that is what this is about.

It’s not poverty, or war, or famine, but if we take a look in the mirror a moment, we all spend far more time posting on this forum about 22 blokes kicking a football around a field than this woman will ever devote to Quality Street wrappers. Shouldn’t we be out helping the homeless, or blocking motorways or patrolling beaches to send the passengers of small boats back, or whatever it is that “really” matters to us and others?

It’s an interesting philosophical debate. I would call it moral relativism but I think I’d be using the term wrongly. For instance, shouldn’t the NHS devote all its resources to the worst diseases, those that threaten life, and not spend time on relatively trivial things like cosmetic reconstruction or ingorowing toenails (probably not the best examples, but you hopefully get what I’m suggesting)? 

25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to take issue with you here sonyc. That could have been my wife - not because she resembles Liz Truss, thank god - but because she was upset about the loss of a traditional Christmas experience from childhood of opening a tin of jewel-like chocolates. Nostalgia matters to most of us in some form, especially at Christmas, and that is what this is about.

It’s not poverty, or war, or famine, but if we take a look in the mirror a moment, we all spend far more time posting on this forum about 22 blokes kicking a football around a field than this woman will ever devote to Quality Street wrappers. Shouldn’t we be out helping the homeless, or blocking motorways or patrolling beaches to send the passengers of small boats back, or whatever it is that “really” matters to us and others?

It’s an interesting philosophical debate. I would call it moral relativism but I think I’d be using the term wrongly. For instance, shouldn’t the NHS devote all its resources to the worst diseases, those that threaten life, and not spend time on relatively trivial things like cosmetic reconstruction or ingorowing toenails (probably not the best examples, but you hopefully get what I’m suggesting)? 

Moral relativism sounds about right. We are all (well, maybe most of us) hypocrites aren't we? For instance, I often think of myself like that whenever I buy something as an expensive treat for myself believe it or not. And that is a rare thing.  Can I justify it? 

In fact Mrs S and I often talk about first world problems if we are annoyed about something and compare it to all the troubles in the world. It is all relative and so I take your point. 

We noticed the QS too. But we had a laugh about it. It's the only time we buy QS in the whole year. They are there for the family. It is no big deal for me but others obviously get extremely upset.

I just wish folk might be really angry about unfairness etc.

I was responding to the original post (by the person who likes to set up debate....a nice way of putting it....sh*t stirring would be an unkind and less generous way of calling it) otherwise I just wouldn't have bothered (if I had seen it independently for example). 

I'm watching the Mr Bates TV programme now and it is as shocking as I had expected. That is proper injustice. I recall being close to tears when it first erupted years ago because I watched the local news and accounts plus the initial exoneration. 

Apologies both to you and your wife if you've been annoyed. As stated I'm a hypocrite - in so many ways. I never need reminding about it because contradictions (for a leftie especially) are part of everyday life. When I worked on the moors decades ago I used to look down on the town below when having my lunch and just remind myself that many people there were doing great things. Perspective is a challenge always.

No annoyance at all on my part sonyc.

My wife is still chuntering about Quality Street though, but as you say, it’s absolutely a first world problem. A common phrase in our house too.

Taking a small tangent, I often think that Delia and Michael as committed Christians (I’m assuming he shares her faith?) could have done a lot of good with the money they put into Norwich City, so a slightly odd decision on their part, especially as she seems to have given a fair bit of thought about what is a “good life”. But ultimately it’s their money, their choice.

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

No annoyance at all on my part sonyc.

My wife is still chuntering about Quality Street though, but as you say, it’s absolutely a first world problem. A common phrase in our house too.

Taking a small tangent, I often think that Delia and Michael as committed Christians (I’m assuming he shares her faith?) could have done a lot of good with the money they put into Norwich City, so a slightly odd decision on their part, especially as she seems to have given a fair bit of thought about what is a “good life”. But ultimately it’s their money, their choice.

I've always felt that Norwich City are (is) the children they've never had, if you get my meaning. And that's why it's a wrench to give them up! But as all good parents know, you have to let them make their way in the world at some point.😉

It's why the club is so dear to her. It's family, and she enjoys the matriarch role. I feel sure too, she is a regular giver of charity. But I'm only guessing there.

We're nearly through the Quality Street. One a day. 

• Like 1