Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Phyllis Latour

Has just died at 102. She was a member of the SOE during WWII and went behind enemy lines to spy and be a conduit.

The UK awarded her an MBE.

Thats an award that Tony Adams has. Not as important as all the Sirs in football though. Or even Des Lynam.

What a load of baldricks our pathetic honours system is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Has just died at 102. She was a member of the SOE during WWII and went behind enemy lines to spy and be a conduit.

Thats an award that Tony Adams has. Not as important as all the Sirs in football though. Or even Des Lynam.

It is now, but wasn’t back then.

17 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

It is now, but wasn’t back then.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, it was over 50 years ago that Savile got an OBE.

Edited by Daz Sparks

7 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, it was over 50 years ago that Savile got an OBE.

At the time, given his crimes weren’t known about and given his huge amount of charity work, it’s understandable that he might have been awarded something.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

At the time, given his crimes weren’t known about and given his huge amount of charity work, it’s understandable that he might have been awarded something.

Maybe, the recent BBC docu drama seems to infer that many in the establishment did know, however, I grant you that it was not by any measure, common knowledge. Getting back to KG's point though, the honours system is BS, and has been for a pretty long time now, that it wasn't once was very long time ago.

18 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't know whether this applied to all, but certainly some of the women mebers of SOE were just cut loose at the end of the war. Apparently the MBE was the standard decoration, although Christina Granville was given the OBE, and the George Cross.

I often wondered why John Major got a Knighthood then latterly Smarmy. But of course, Bliar has now got one so it all makes sense. 
As for Baroness Chakrabhati - just creases me up!! Hopefully once Lucas has shuffled of she’ll be head of the House of Lords.

Lunatics and Asylums springs to mind.

Edited by Foxy2600
Spellings

On 15/10/2023 at 10:24, PurpleCanary said:

I don't know whether this applied to all, but certainly some of the women mebers of SOE were just cut loose at the end of the war. Apparently the MBE was the standard decoration, although Christina Granville was given the OBE, and the George Cross.

As was Bill Hudson, the legendary inspiration for Flemings chraracterisation of James Bond.