Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Monarchist or Republican?

Monarchist or Republican?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a monarchist or republican or not too bothered either way?

• Big M Monarchist
    • Small m monarchist
    • Big R Republican
    • Small r republican

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I found this comment quite intriguing, nothing to do with the monarchy, just the timescales - I feel I've got some idea about how things generally might go in the next 20 or so years, at the absolute max 30 years but beyond that I think that everything will have changed so radically that I have absolutely no idea what anything will look like (which in many ways is a blessing).

Yes I tend to agree. How can any of us predict much at all with accuracy. The 1920s to now as an example.

Some things tend not to change though and I sense that the monarchy is one of those institutions. By 100 years, I simply meant a long time. Though I reckon the challenge to it here will of course rachet up.

A lot depends on William - because he could be around a long time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sonyc said:

A lot depends on William - because he could be around a long time.

Bearing in mind the longevity of his parents I think Charles could well be around for another 25 years. Unfortunately for the Royalists he's not as likeable as his mother and all the family problems his mother had to deal with are still there. There could of course still be more to come. 

If it is still going in 25 years I think it will be hanging by a thread. 

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Bearing in mind the longevity of his parents I think Charles could well be around for another 25 years. Unfortunately for the Royalists he's not as likeable as his mother and all the family problems his mother had to deal with are still there. There could of course still be more to come. 

If it is still going in 25 years I think it will be hanging by a thread. 

Simpy the age of deference has passed. The Queen certainly, but also Charles was brought up in it and it shows. Minor B list celebrity awaits selling red-tops otherwise.

William will be last, unless he radically simplifies the monarchy to something approaching the Dutch or Scandinavians.

• Like 1