Mr. Raumdeuter III

Norwich “top attendance” for second tier club.

On 27/03/2023 at 12:38, shefcanary said:

I see this statement a lot on here from the naysayers, so will nail my colours firmly to the mast.

Before Brighton had the Amex, they barely reached an average attendance of 15,000, now they have little change out of 30,000. Same for any club that has expanded their stadia in recent years outside a few that slump back to League 1 or 2 struggle. And as the Binners have proven (Sunderland before them), even in League 1 for an extended stay with a bit of hard work on the marketing front and the giving away of cheap tickets to potential new fans, you can recover the attendances. Look at Bradford in League 2, with average attendances that many a club with an underdeveloped stadium in the Champs envy (well also in the case of B'**** in the EPL too!).

Replace the City Stand, allow a few of the ageing Lower Barclayites to re-capture their excitement through the new development and facilities they bring by allowing them to relocate to the new City Stand to eke out their dotage, heavily market their old seats at a new audience and 32,000 becomes the new norm!  All this pissing about becoming an established club is becoming the ultimate chicken and egg argument, where I strongly believe investing in the stadium will bring the sea change on here in the club's fortunes that we are all craving for.

When Attanasio does finally take over and makes the replacement of the City Stand a priority of the club through the wider access to cheap finance he will bring, within two to three years even the naysayers on here will say why didn't we do it earlier, and will criticise the old regime for not taking advantage of the Colney Bond success and the low interest rates that existed prior to this year, for not doing it sooner.

How many youth STs (£250) do you think you will sell?

And will it be enough to service a £4.8m per-season debt?

2 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

How many youth STs (£250) do you think you will sell?

And will it be enough to service a £4.8m per-season debt?

See other threads. It won't be settled by just ticket income, but also secondary spend including hospitality plus other commercial revenues including naming rights. The trick is getting the design right to provide facilities to generate the income to cover repayment of debt plus loan servicing costs. Attanasio and his team have the experience to do this.

Edited by shefcanary

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

See other threads. It won't be settled by just ticket income, but also secondary spend including hospitality plus other commercial revenues including naming rights. The trick is getting the design right to provide facilities to generate the income to cover repayment of debt plus loan servicing costs. Attanasio and his team have the experience to do this.

See other threads. There is not the demand (or disposable income) otherwise it would have been done already.

Liverpool can count on tourists & daytrippers, happy to pay £350 for hospitality or £50 seat-only. Norwich cannot.

10 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

See other threads. There is not the demand (or disposable income) otherwise it would have been done already.

Liverpool can count on tourists & daytrippers, happy to pay £350 for hospitality or £50 seat-only. Norwich cannot.

Again, the income won't come just from matchday activity! It will come from hosting activity outside football. Liverpool have had to look for such non-football activity as well, as did Milwaukee Brewers.

I'm truly confused why you keep focussing on matchday income - sure it will be a major part, but the trick is to make Carrow Road a 365 a year operation. It is ideally located in the city to achieve this.

23 hours ago, Red Lion Canaries said:

Thanks for the kind words Shef.  We're not abroad, we just own a pub and restaurant in Cambridgeshire which messes up our football attending at weekends, and sees us rolling home midweek at unreasonable a.m. from fun places like the Huddersfields and Newcastles.

To what you have said here though I can add we have had Norwich minded campers stay with us from as far away as Finland for the weekend and all of them felt the need to buy a home membership to make sure they got tickets before travelling.  We've also got some now good friends that we see after they've travelled from various Northern parts to go to a home match and have memberships, and most of them just take their chances on a few away games each year, and generally get tickets.   They shouldn't have to buy home memberships to enjoy one or two games a year.   Surely a few empty seats after an expansion wouldn't be the end of the world.

Kirtling by any chance? 

Well I can't understand why from Bowkett to now nobody has run with these great opportunities to spend money that we haven't got to build a stand that will enable us to borrow the money needed completely risk free.

Shortsighted fools the lot of 'em.

Bring back Tangie and Tom Ovendish...

Edited by nutty nigel

51 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Again, the income won't come just from matchday activity! It will come from hosting activity outside football. Liverpool have had to look for such non-football activity as well, as did Milwaukee Brewers.

I'm truly confused why you keep focussing on matchday income - sure it will be a major part, but the trick is to make Carrow Road a 365 a year operation. It is ideally located in the city to achieve this.

I was replying to your original post, one that was all about matchday income & had not a single word about non-football activities. And which is in a thread about attendances.

3 hours ago, Red Lion Canaries said:

Brinkley.  Lanes Bakery Burwell?

This should probably by a DM (so other posters please excuse me) but of course I meant to say Brinkley.  I'm Just round the corner from Lanes. We have met in the past and compared all things NCFC whilst we had a good evening at your place just coming out of lockdown  (Sutherland family connection)

Will have to catch you again soon

• Like 1