Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

World Cup break

I think that Dean Smith has max 5 games to turn this around otherwise it’s time to part ways and get a new manager in who can work with the players during the World Cup break.

Alan Nixon reporting that we will turn to Russell Martin if Deano given the boot https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20193344/norwich-russell-martin-dean-smith-sack/

I think an attractive attacking style of play to improve our play in the final third is clearly what we need but I am not sure about Russ. Seems to go on a decent run of results and then get tonked the week after and therefore fluctuating up and down the table so wouldn’t be in any better position than with Deano at the helm. 

surely some better options out there 

• Like 1

It’s probably worth pointing out that Swansea are one point behind us with a game in hand. 

Is it the case that some managers understand this club but others don't? Lambert and Farke clearly knew how to get the supporters onside but Smith just doesn't seem to get it. 

I'm sure some will say that it's no different from any other club. 

If you want someone who understands what is required then Russell Martin would be a good choice. 

9 minutes ago, Tommo said:

I think an attractive attacking style of play to improve our play in the final third is clearly what we need but I am not sure about Russ. Seems to go on a decent run of results and then get tonked the week after and therefore fluctuating up and down the table so wouldn’t be in any better position than with Deano at the helm. 

First off it's "the Sun"... people might say take with a pinch of salt. I would say it's a shocking paper that will be lucky to exist inside of a decades time, and if you are going for salt, walk to the end of the road and bury it in the grit box. 

If we do take it seriously, what you have described above sounds awfully familiar... Farke wasn't that different, as long as you keep the losses to a minimum, doesn't really matter whether the few losses you take are 1-0 or 4-0. Just as an example, other than a very poor and slow start to the 2018-19 season, we were beaten by Stoke 1-0, in October, after a run of two draws and four wins. We were then beaten 4-3 at home by Derby after a very long unbeaten run in December. The last loss was away to Preston 3-1 in February.

In 2020-21, it was arguably more like that as our start was slightly better and the losses a bit more decisive/clearer? 3-1 away to Luton after our first run of form following a shaky start. Others were 1-0 to Watford, 2-0 to Swansea, 3-1 at home to Bournemouth, 1-0 at home to Watford.

So perhaps worth bearing in mind that good runs split by the odd defeat, even heavy, aren't that big an issue when it comes to hunting for promotion from this level. 

Russell Martin ticks about every box for me. He's got a young and not particularly impressive Swansea squad playing good football and more importantly, getting results. He's a manager who is clearly on the rise, as opposed to Smith who's career probably peaked with Villa. Lastly he feels like the right person to revitalise the connection between the club and fans.