Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Glenn Middleton

Thoughts were that we had lost out when he headed back over the border in 2018. Spent the next three years out on loan. The giddy heights of Bradford City at one point. Now at Dundee Utd, where he appears to be a bit player. Followers a long line of promising youngsters who never made it. DU v Hibs tonight.

5 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Thoughts were that we had lost out when he headed back over the border in 2018. Spent the next three years out on loan. The giddy heights of Bradford City at one point. Now at Dundee Utd, where he appears to be a bit player. Followers a long line of promising youngsters who never made it. DU v Hibs tonight.

I remember FONCY used to keep a list of players who came through our academy and got a professional contract in football. That would be viewed as a success for our academy. I still feel that way although with the investment now we do need more of a return.

But a professional contract in football is still making it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I remember FONCY used to keep a list of players who came through our academy and got a professional contract in football. That would be viewed as a success for our academy. I still feel that way although with the investment now we do need more of a return.

But a professional contract in football is still making it.

Yes, very worthy and all that but the aim must have been to produce talent that would progress to the first team - something we have been fairly good at recently. Mostly those signed when they are in they have began a professional career elsewhere. Godfrey, Lewis ,Maddison.,Aarons, Gibbs though that has meant a fair few 'passing through'. Though how much is down to more money being available for scouting and how much more available for  coaching is a moot point.

The coaching is much like the GB olympic team. More money, more medals. However some of that has been in getting athletes to change sports, and concentrate on ones that can return medals. And mostly events that involve sitting down...cycling, rowing, shooting. One thing City have been good at is producing goalkeepers with the majority being local. Well done us, says I 🥰

If I remember correctly though his gripe was that we signed Simon Power and told him that Power was the better player and Middleton might not get much football for the u23s as a result.

Power is 24 and comparing their respective footballing CVs, it doesn't look like Power was a better player!