Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Live from Bloomfield Road

On 01/10/2022 at 15:18, PockthorpePete said:

OK with VPN

Anyone else been okay watching Saturday games via a VPN?

I have up until Saturday (Stoke home) and have watched all norwich games during October without any issues. 

For some reason when I logged into canaries TV via VPN on Saturday it somehow recognised my location as wouldn't let me watch.  I did later find a stream via ESPN so not all bad.

I've queried it with canaries TV today and they responded saying below so they must be able to determine it I guess🤦

it appears there may be the possibility of a VPN in use.

We can see access attempted in the US.

When a VPN is in use, we cannot guarantee the compatibility and cannot support its usage.

When the system logs shows a VPN is in use, we cannot process a refund as this is strictly prohibited

16 minutes ago, greggp27 said:

I have up until Saturday (Stoke home) and have watched all norwich games during October without any issues. 

For some reason when I logged into canaries TV via VPN on Saturday it somehow recognised my location as wouldn't let me watch.  I did later find a stream via ESPN so not all bad.

I've queried it with canaries TV today and they responded saying below so they must be able to determine it I guess🤦

When a VPN is in use, we cannot guarantee the compatibility and cannot support its usage.

When the system logs shows a VPN is in use, we cannot process a refund as this is strictly prohibited

We can't give you your money back because its illegal but we took it in the first place.

When Ifollow first started, I watched City games via a VPN. It was only a fiver. It didn't work once so I got in contact with them. They then maintained I shouldn't be using it as I was in the UK. So I said fine, give me my fiver back for today and they said No it wasn't their fault I couldn't see the game as I was using a VPN. I explained VPN's were not illegal and encouraged when using the internet for security reasons. They hung up.

I continued using it during that first season it was available and they still continued to take my money, knowing I was using a VPN.

So as long as they get their money, they don't care.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, greggp27 said:

The way the majority of the streaming services work is that there is a shared blacklist of known ip addresses used by VPN providers, you could try a different location (another city in the us or another country altogether) and that might work...until that one gets blacklisted

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We can't give you your money back because its illegal but we took it in the first place.

When Ifollow first started, I watched City games via a VPN. It was only a fiver. It didn't work once so I got in contact with them. They then maintained I shouldn't be using it as I was in the UK. So I said fine, give me my fiver back for today and they said No it wasn't their fault I couldn't see the game as I was using a VPN. I explained VPN's were not illegal and encouraged when using the internet for security reasons. They hung up.

I continued using it during that first season it was available and they still continued to take my money, knowing I was using a VPN.

So as long as they get their money, they don't care.

Exactly that!  It's clearly a flawed system but doesn't surprise me in this current economic climate 🤦

30 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

The way the majority of the streaming services work is that there is a shared blacklist of known ip addresses used by VPN providers, you could try a different location (another city in the us or another country altogether) and that might work...until that one gets blacklisted

I used opera browser and had worked without fail all of October.    I know there are some paid VPN you can also get but not sure I want to use another and pay for another match subscription without guarantee it'll work.

Sky game tomorrow night so at least I'll be able to watch that one on my living room TV ☺️

The legal position of all these practices must be vexing the authorities.  Our games are genuinely streamed in platforms for free in different place around the world.  The VPN allows you to view the content on a computer in that country.  Very difficult to prove any particular action is illegal, unless someone watches you doing it.

I blame the FA entirely, technology should be designed to suit the customer, and promote the sport.  The income from streaming is tiny compared to the sponsorship revenue, and the focus should be on quality of the product and growing the viewing figures.