Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Farke vs Smith

58 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I wouldn't say Smith is creating some sort of facsimile of Farkeball, the latter was an ultra-high discipline purpose built siege machine hell bent on dominating possession. Super effective and great to watch UNLESS! you're playing sides who are good enough to break the system (which most PL sides are unfortunately). For example, see Farkes record without Buendia- a very specific approach.

I feel like Smith is trying to rebuild us into a side that is more adaptable. This may be more 'generic' in approach and not feel quite as saucy but might stand us in better stead in the long run.

We've made clear moves to try and sort out our weaknesses at both ends for set pieces, for example. Or we have the curious situation that Pukki is the only striker at the club yet to score this season, unthinkable for the past few years.

It's not perfect yet but I see the moving parts. I think Smith deserves time to try and get them working in sequence.

This is exactly what I'm hoping. I think what people see as a 'lack of identity' is an attempt to make us less predictable. Even if I'm right, it's clearly a work in progress. But it's worth trying. We simply didn't compete on our last two visits to the PL. We need to try something different.

21 hours ago, hogesar said:

Can we just please stop with this fallacy that in the championship all we done was destroy teams in the championship and these sort of scrappy away wins never existed?

Our last championship title winning campaign under farke started with

1-0 win vs Huddersfield thanks to them playing a backpass to Pukki

2-2 draw against Preston at home,  with Placheta rescuing a point for us in the 85th minute.

- 0-1 loss to Bournemouth. They scored in the 35th minute. 

0-1 loss at home to Derby. Cries from fans that Farkeball has been sussed and Ipswich would finish above us.

2-1 win against Rotherham. Same scoreline as tonight, apart from we needed an own goal, red card and last minute penalty to take the points.

1-0 win at home to Birmingham. We needed a red card and an 87th minute Vrancic winner, for the record.

- 2-1 win against newly promoted Wycombe Wanderers.

Farke was an absolutely fantastic manager for us and always comparing Smith to him seems unnecessary anyway. But if you're determined to compare them, at least compare it against the reality rather than a figment of your imagination.

Great post, Vrancic scored a very late winner against Wycombe too.

I was going to post something very similar as a correction to something I posted at night.....I thought we had made a worse start two years ago but we are actually on the same points after seven games albeit three places higher. 

It takes time to get used to a division again and shake off the relegation hangover, as last time and your analysis of those first few games proves.