Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Too many substitions

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

But you can only make them in 3 drops and halftime so I am not not quite sure what the issue is. Hernandez did well but the other subs didn't really show for us tbh. Gibbs was blowing out his **** towards the end. I'd have brought Gibson on, Rashica was not what we needed.

It's just a bit disruptive. Happens at every level of football, anything more than 2 changes in quick succession seems to throw things off.

There will be times that as a bigger side our cavalry saves us this year, but IMO the game really changed against us with our 2x2 changes in 7 minutes. Think coaches are still working out how to balance this many changes in play.

Couple of things from me...

Pros...as @king canary mentioned earlier, it was good to give more game time/rest some legs ready for Friday. Millwall showed tonight, they play to the final whistle - and bagged a point at Swansea by forcing 2 ogs after having just one shot on target - sound familiar?

Cons...the number of subs unnecessarily increased the added minutes. We were already nervous and Hudds nearly forced an equaliser in that time. Making attacking switches was puzzling and seriously disrespected/underestimated their threat too.

Did they really look like scoring? Maybe not - but it doesn't take much against us at the moment, does it? 

The difficulty of substitutions just got tougher... I hope Smith learns from tonight.

In fairness we had a lot of players looking very tired. Dowell, Sinani. Sargent all looked knackered.

im also not sure we had as much “control” as is claimed. Yes we were on top and probably could have gone up a gear had we needed to but even with 11 men they were getting to run at our defence far too often for my liking. Desperately need Hayden fit.

Hugill’s control was also awful when he came in which meant we had no ball retention up front and didn’t help.