Sign in to follow this  
Satriales

Delia on Five Live this afternoon

14 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm sure there are many who know of her interest in City, but the vast majority of those will be football fans.

Most people have little interest in football and wouldn't even dream of watching it on TV. 

There’s a fair few football fans outside of Norfolk. Her celebrity status in another industry would also widespread her name, or an appearance on an EE advert!

18 hours ago, Badger said:

Millions of people know her outside Norfolk as a cook, not a football fan. 

Oh dear.

Every single match shown on TV pans to her in the crowd.

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Oh dear.

Every single match shown on TV pans to her in the crowd.

And why do they pan to her - because she is a well known celebrity chef and cultural icon according to some. When they pan to the owners of other teams, do you remember all of their names? I don't know the viewing figures for MOTD but why she should be better known for the occasional fleeting glimpse on there when most people don't even watch football, when she has made several popular TV series in her own name watched by millions. She has a big enough name to sell about 25 million books: they don't just know her name but spend money on the strength of it!

None of this makes her a better or worse owner but I find this really interesting. Several people, some of whom I generally agree with have also suggested that most people know that she is our owner - I just don't think that as many people as you believe follow football - it was desperately untrendy in the 80ss and early 90s and I think that I was viewed as a bit of an "oik" for professing interest . I had lunch with friends today (non Norfolk) and raised the matter and they agreed with me - perhaps we underestimate how the Premier league has made football more socially acceptable in middle class circles.

Perhaps its an age/socio-economic thing - in the 80s and 90s everybody (in my "then" type of social circle - London-based professional graduate) had a copy of one of Delia's books on their bookshelf and everyone would know what was meant if you said "it's one of Delia's." 

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

There’s a fair few football fans outside of Norfolk. Her celebrity status in another industry would also widespread her name, or an appearance on an EE advert!

If I understand what you mean correctly, I think the marketing term is "crossover?"