Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Neil Doncasters Replies to Safety Issues at Carrow Road caused by Worthy Out Banners

IT''S A BIT OF A READ BUT WELL WORTH IT.
you will find firstly my email then Mr D''s reply''s within my email.

Mr...., i have now spoken to our Safety Officer and can clarify the situation below.

If you have any further queries, please do come back to me.

best wishes
Neil

-----
Sent: 15 February 2006 16:30
To: neil.Doncaster@ncfc-canaries.co.uk
Subject: PROTEST

Mr Doncaster,
Last night I attended the city game against Brighton and because of the issues regarding our present manager (which I am sure I don''t need to expand upon) I felt the time was right to express my opinion on his managerialship of my club. So I produced a banner which read.....

WORTHY OUT
www.yourchoices.org.uk

My intention was to hold it up after the warm up so as not to obstruct anyone''s view of this and to take it down before the players came on the pitch.
When I put the banner up it was about 5/7 minutes before a safety steward told me to take it down. When I ask why, he said it was because it was classed as incitement. I asked who by? He gave me the name of the head safety officer, (who''s name escapes me).
I have since been inform by James in your media dept. that it was because of obstruction. He said that the banner was obstructing someone''s view. I find this hard to believe on two counts firstly there was nothing to see and secondly it was made clear to me what the reason was.

[Neil Doncaster] There are a number of issues with banners which have ''Worthy Out'' on them. There is the safety issue to do with having a certificate of flame retardency (as we ask for in relation to flags). There is also the fact that banners that are held up will inevitably obstruct the views of those behind them. But the main reason why we are not happy to have banners with ''Worthy Out'' on them is that people around you may feel very differently from you. They may feel that by you holding such a banner up, in your area, you are suggesting that it represents the views of those around you - and that may be far from the case.

I have every sympathy with individuals being allowed to express their private opinions - there is certainly no intention to limit free speech - but holding up banners which are controversial in nature is likely to lead to confrontations with supporters around you. And for the sake of your safety and that of those around you, for safety reasons we will not allow such banners to be held up in the ground. If you wish to use such a banner to advertise your opinions, please do so out of the ground. I do not believe that demonstrations against the Manager help the Club whatsoever - but i respect your right to protest peacefully should you wish.
I also asked about tee shirts with the slogan on and I was told that they would have to be covered up or taken off. Failure to do this would lead to expulsion from the ground.

[Neil Doncaster] I can confirm that as long as T-shirts do not have offensive material on them, we are happy for you to wear them in the ground. ''Worthy Out'' is not an offensive slogan and we will respect your right to wear such a T-shirt if you wish. If however, the wearing of such T-shirts results in a safety issue (because, for example, a number of people around you take offence about the nature of your views and challenge you), then we must reserve the right to look again at our stance on this issue.

Now Mr Doncaster can you confirm that I have the right to protest inside the ground by holding a banner as long as it does not obstruct any one''s view? Or am I inciting a riot by doing so? I might add that I was with my two sons aged 11 and 12 years old, hardly the recipe for incitement?
The words above are what actually happened and witnessed by those around me.
I would be grateful for clarification on this matter.

Regards

R ......

Mr Doncaster,
Than you for your swift attendance to this matter. However your replies to my specific points have, ofcourse, raised others. If as you say you are concerned about the safety of others when a banner is held up, Then why is it that of several occasions, both this season and last, have the safety stewards allowed opposition fans to not only remain in the home ends but to continue to ''bait'' the home supporters by chants and scarf waving? I can refer you specifically to the Spurs home game last season and the Ipswich home game this season.
I take it from your point on the banners, that even though the intention is to protest peacefully and when nothing is happening on the pitch i.e. warm up, etc., I am at risk from aggressive ''pro Worthy'' fans if I put up anything that they might disagree with? That being the case should not action be taken against the aggressors? Why am I being penalised for peaceful actions and they are being rewarded for aggressive actions.
Lastly your comments on ''the protests against the manager are not helping the club'' I could and equally argue that the boards and your actions are harmful to my club, by retaining the services of a manager and his coaching staff that have clearly lost their way over the last 18 months not only have you brought the club back to where it was 5 years ago you have managed to spilt the most loyal and peaceful fans in the country.
Most supporters as you know, won''t protest they will just not come and before long not only will we have a mid to lower table team we will have a half empty stadium to go with it.
I have no doubt that both you and the board feel that your approach is right, but the Mr Doncaster have you ever thought you might br WRONG?
You and your fellow board members can move on when and if things go wrong, We, the fans, can''t. This is our ONLY club, we are fans for life and have much more than just a career tied up in this.
I look forward to reply to my points in this e mail.

Regards
my further replies below. Please do come back to me if you have any further points you would like to raise, or for me to answer. Or please call me on 01603 218 707.

best wishes
Neil
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 February 2006 11:40
To: NeilD@ncfc-canaries.co.uk
Subject: Re: PROTEST

Mr Doncaster,
Than you for your swift attendance to this matter. However your replies to my specific points have, ofcourse, raised others. If as you say you are concerned about the safety of others when a banner is held up, Then why is it that of several occasions, both this season and last, have the safety stewards allowed opposition fans to not only remain in the home ends but to continue to ''bait'' the home supporters by chants and scarf waving? I can refer you specifically to the Spurs home game last season and the Ipswich home game this season.
[Neil Doncaster] If opposition fans sit in home areas, our policy is to eject them if they are behaving in an inappropriate way. If however, they are simply supporting their team and a safety concern arises because of the interaction with home supporters around them, then we look to relocate such supporters into vacant seats in the away end (assuming there are some available).
I take it from your point on the banners, that even though the intention is to protest peacefully and when nothing is happening on the pitch i.e. warm up, etc., I am at risk from aggressive ''pro Worthy'' fans if I put up anything that they might disagree with? That being the case should not action be taken against the aggressors? Why am I being penalised for peaceful actions and they are being rewarded for aggressive actions.
[Neil Doncaster] It is not a question of penalising you - we are responsible for your safety and that of those around you while you are in the stadium. A ''Worthy Out'' banner causes us a safety concern and we are not prepared to allow you to put yourself or others around you at risk. It is surely better to prevent confrontation arising than to deal with it after it has arisen, whoever the ''aggressors'' may be. However, as i have said previously, i respect your right to protest outside the ground should you wish.

Lastly your comments on ''the protests against the manager are not helping the club'' I could and equally argue that the boards and your actions are harmful to my club, by retaining the services of a manager and his coaching staff that have clearly lost their way over the last 18 months not only have you brought the club back to where it was 5 years ago you have managed to spilt the most loyal and peaceful fans in the country.
[Neil Doncaster] I respect your views. But you seem to think of sacking the manager as a panacea for the issues that have affected the team this year. And, with respect, the situation is just not that simple. Do you not think that having to field a different team, because of the huge number of injuries that we have suffered this season, is part of the problem? Do you not think that all of the conjecture about Dean Ashton throughout January cannot have helped the players? Isn''t it right to give so many new players an opportunity to settle in before judging them?

You would have expected that the players who came into the dressing room having scored 3 goals and taken 3 points against Brighton would feel uplifted. But the mood amongst them was extremely subdued given the booing during the game and the protests after it. Is this what you want? Whatever your views about the Manager, aren''t we all here to achieve the best results possible? After a difficult run, surely the best chance of obtaining such results and motivating the players is loud support of them, rather than demonstrations right outside the changing rooms?
Most supporters as you know, won''t protest they will just not come and before long not only will we have a mid to lower table team we will have a half empty stadium to go with it.
I have no doubt that both you and the board feel that your approach is right, but the Mr Doncaster have you ever thought you might br WRONG?
[Neil Doncaster] Nothing in football is certain. And we cannot claim to have certain knowledge of the right way forward. But, with the benefit of all the information about what is going on behind the scenes (which is clearly not available to all supporters), I am sure you recognise that the Board is well placed to make an informed decision about what really is in the best interests of the Club for the long term. They are not making their decisions based on some sort of misplaced loyalty - but purely on the basis of what they think is in the long-term best interests of the Club.
You and your fellow board members can move on when and if things go wrong, We, the fans, can''t. This is our ONLY club, we are fans for life and have much more than just a career tied up in this.
[Neil Doncaster] why do you not think that the Board are fans? the only member of the Board who takes a salary from the Club is the Chairman, and this is not his career. He has his own business, which takes up the vast majority of his time. Do you think that there are any supporters who care more deeply about their club than Delia and Michael?

Regards

[Neil Doncaster] If opposition fans sit in home areas, our policy is to eject them if they are behaving in an inappropriate way. If however, they are simply supporting their team and a safety concern arises because of the interaction with home supporters around them, then we look to relocate such supporters into vacant seats in the away end (assuming there are some available).

[Neil Doncaster] It is not a question of penalising you - we are responsible for your safety and that of those around you while you are in the stadium. A ''Worthy Out'' banner causes us a safety concern and we are not prepared to allow you to put yourself or others around you at risk. It is surely better to prevent confrontation arising than to deal with it after it has arisen, whoever the ''aggressors'' may be. However, as i have said previously, i respect your right to protest outside the ground should you wish.

[Neil Doncaster] I respect your views. But you seem to think of sacking the manager as a panacea for the issues that have affected the team this year. And, with respect, the situation is just not that simple. Do you not think that having to field a different team, because of the huge number of injuries that we have suffered this season, is part of the problem? Do you not think that all of the conjecture about Dean Ashton throughout January cannot have helped the players? Isn''t it right to give so many new players an opportunity to settle in before judging them?

You would have expected that the players who came into the dressing room having scored 3 goals and taken 3 points against Brighton would feel uplifted. But the mood amongst them was extremely subdued given the booing during the game and the protests after it. Is this what you want? Whatever your views about the Manager, aren''t we all here to achieve the best results possible? After a difficult run, surely the best chance of obtaining such results and motivating the players is loud support of them, rather than demonstrations right outside the changing rooms?

[Neil Doncaster] Nothing in football is certain. And we cannot claim to have certain knowledge of the right way forward. But, with the benefit of all the information about what is going on behind the scenes (which is clearly not available to all supporters), I am sure you recognise that the Board is well placed to make an informed decision about what really is in the best interests of the Club for the long term. They are not making their decisions based on some sort of misplaced loyalty - but purely on the basis of what they think is in the long-term best interests of the Club.

[Neil Doncaster] why do you not think that the Board are fans? the only member of the Board who takes a salary from the Club is the Chairman, and this is not his career. He has his own business, which takes up the vast majority of his time. Do you think that there are any supporters who care more deeply about their club than Delia and Michael?

Regards

Mr Doncaster,

Regards

Mr Doncaster,
Rightly or wrongly the discussion has veered from the rights of peaceful protest to the rights and wrongs of sacking the manager, which I am quiet happy to engage you with. But to your points on the away supporters in the home end, I must take you to task on this matter having pointed out two specific games to you, these fans where not only allow to continue ''baiting'' home supporters but also staying in their seats, in fact at the latest home game against Ipswich some away fans where waving ''items'' from the box above the N&P stand. How does that square with what you are saying?
As for the banners, what will the club do if there are hundreds around the ground? Can I also ask that if I start chanting ''WE WANT WORTHY OUT'' and a fan objects will I be asked to stop or ejected?
Now to the rights and wrong of sacking the Manager. You seem to be saying that it''s outside influences that are affecting our Championship chances this season. Well, then is must have been good luck when we won the Title two seasons ago. It seems to me that when things go well then The manager and his team are the reason But if they go wrong then ''other things come into play.'' The Manager said at the start of the season he was happy with the size of his squad, even though it was the smallest in the league. This situation was obvious to everyone except him it seems.
His purchase in recent years have left a lot to be desired except for the obvious as in Earnshaw, but I am sure with our record of ''attacking play'' his goal record will diminish.
Mark Edworthy returns on Saturday and how we could use him right now. The managers petulance saw Mark leave our club and now we are playing an ageing centre half at right back. It reminds me of the start to our Premiership where we played a centre half at centre forward! In the strongest league in Europe!
I think your comment on the fans protest out side the ground is quite frankly unforgivable. To try and lay the blame at the door of the fans has tones like Worthington''s statement that ''he does not care what the fans think.'' The players should be gutted they had just played a stinker against one of the poorest teams who only had ten men. If it took the fans chanting to make them feel bad it shows just how bad our club has got.
As for sacking the manager being the panacea, well We as fans may be fickle but you have to understand us rather than we understanding you. We pay your wages and that of the players and coaching staff and to brush us of as ''not understanding'' is very dangerous.All the good work done at the club can be lost very quickly by delaying the inevitable. Regardless of you belief that its all down to outside circumstances It is plain for all to see, with his signings, his tactics, his disregard of the fans that his time has come. I am sure there is a club some where that would appreciate his ''direct'' way of playing and I would be the first to wish him luck.
I agree with you that the board may well be fans but I was watching Norwich 45 years ago, I was watching Norwich when Delia was wearing her Ipswich shirt (allegedly) and god willing I will be watching Norwich in 40 years time Will you?

Regards

Mr Doncaster,
Rightly or wrongly the discussion has veered from the rights of peaceful protest to the rights and wrongs of sacking the manager, which I am quiet happy to engage you with. But to your points on the away supporters in the home end, I must take you to task on this matter having pointed out two specific games to you, these fans where not only allow to continue ''baiting'' home supporters but also staying in their seats, in fact at the latest home game against Ipswich some away fans where waving ''items'' from the box above the N&P stand. How does that square with what you are saying?
[Neil Doncaster] the baiting of home fans by away support is not something that is endorsed by the Club - if that happens (and is seen by stewards) then those fans should be warned and if necessary ejected.

As for the banners, what will the club do if there are hundreds around the ground? Can I also ask that if I start chanting ''WE WANT WORTHY OUT'' and a fan objects will I be asked to stop or ejected?

[Neil Doncaster] i have explained our policy in relation to banners and T-shirts. i feel that it achieves the right balance between freedom of speech and safety concerns. of course there will be occasions on a matchday when the safety team have to make difficult judgement calls - that is their function. but i do not think it would be helpful to try and pre-judge what stewards should / should not do in hundreds of different circumstances. as for chanting, supporters (as long as they aren''t using offensive language) can chant anti-Nigel views if they wish - although you know that i do not think they help the team at all
Now to the rights and wrong of sacking the Manager. You seem to be saying that it''s outside influences that are affecting our Championship chances this season. Well, then is must have been good luck when we won the Title two seasons ago. It seems to me that when things go well then The manager and his team are the reason But if they go wrong then ''other things come into play.'' The Manager said at the start of the season he was happy with the size of his squad, even though it was the smallest in the league. This situation was obvious to everyone except him it seems.
His purchase in recent years have left a lot to be desired except for the obvious as in Earnshaw, but I am sure with our record of ''attacking play'' his goal record will diminish.
[Neil Doncaster] i stand by what i said earlier - to hold one man up as being solely responsible for our poor performances this season is over-simplistic. as it would also be to hold up Nigel as being solely responsible for our promotion as champions.

Mark Edworthy returns on Saturday and how we could use him right now. The managers petulance saw Mark leave our club and now we are playing an ageing centre half at right back.
[Neil Doncaster] you are forgetting that Marc was offered a 2-year contract by this club, on good money, and chose to turn it down. The fact that Marc is not here is down to him, not the manager. Having said that, Marc left the Club on good terms and we''re looking forward to seeing him again this Saturday

It reminds me of the start to our Premiership where we played a centre half at centre forward! In the strongest league in Europe!
I think your comment on the fans protest out side the ground is quite frankly unforgivable. To try and lay the blame at the door of the fans has tones like Worthington''s statement that ''he does not care what the fans think.''
[Neil Doncaster] i am not blaming the fans for performances this season - and i think you know that. and, as you know, i have already stated that "i respect your right to protest outside the ground should you wish". i am just pointing out the reality of the effect that the booing had on the players. it''s simply a fact.

The players should be gutted they had just played a stinker against one of the poorest teams who only had ten men. If it took the fans chanting to make them feel bad it shows just how bad our club has got.
As for sacking the manager being the panacea, well We as fans may be fickle but you have to understand us rather than we understanding you. We pay your wages and that of the players and coaching staff and to brush us of as ''not understanding'' is very dangerous.
[Neil Doncaster] i think we do understand the range of different views on the manager. by holding 6-weekly Supporter Consultative Group meetings, regular Meet the Board roadshows (most recently in Hull and Sheringham over the past 2 weeks), and by correspondence such as this, i think we are as well briefed about what supporters think as any club in the country. while understanding those views, that does not mean that we should simply do what a number of vocal supporters want done - the Board have a duty to all supporters to do what they consider to be in the long-term best interests of the Club. i agree that we should all understand you - equally you need to understand and recognise the full range of challenges that we as a club face in an increasingly competitive business
All the good work done at the club can be lost very quickly by delaying the inevitable. Regardless of you belief that its all down to outside circumstances It is plain for all to see, with his signings, his tactics, his disregard of the fans that his time has come. I am sure there is a club some where that would appreciate his ''direct'' way of playing and I would be the first to wish him luck.
I agree with you that the board may well be fans but I was watching Norwich 45 years ago, I was watching Norwich when Delia was wearing her Ipswich shirt (allegedly) and god willing I will be watching Norwich in 40 years time Will you?
[Neil Doncaster] i assume by your comments that you are implying that me, any of the staff here, or any of the Board members who give up their time somehow care less about this club than the vast majority of supporters. i am sure you do not really think that. if you doubt me, i hope that you turn up to the social evening for bulletin board users tomorrow. we can discuss our differing views in a friendly and constructive way over a beer.
I totally respect your passion and your views - i hope you realise that i, the staff and everyone at Carrow Road want the same thing - success for this club
On The Ball, City!

Regards

No you are right mate I hope Ive made it quite plain that my/our gripe is with the coaching staff and thats it.
He has been responsive and to the point.

OK - look forward to seeing you then

Neil
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 February 2006 14:46
To: NeilD@ncfc-canaries.co.uk
Subject: Re: PROTEST

Mr Doncaster,
As you probably now I have been sharing your responses with others on the official site and others namely www.carrowroad.net and the Home of the Worthington out campaign www.yourchoices.org.uk So it has been a useful exercise to email to and fro so our words are not misrepresented by anyone.
I would like to take opportunity to thank you for your pointed if not misled views. I guess at this point we have to agree to disagree.
I will most certainly try and attend tomorrow evening, work and kids allowing. I think it would be more useful to talk face to face than on the phone but thank you for the offer.

Regards

Roger.

THE END

Visit WWW.CARROWROAD.NET for reasoned debate and no web police.

And www.yourchoices.org.uk to join the WORTHY OUT campaign.

so if for example A Derby fan had a banner that said "i love the rams!" and i complained to a steward that i found it offensive would said Derby fan be asked  to remove their banner???? i think not...

Also, look at the number of flags and banners Brighton bought down with them.. were they all checked to see if they were "fire proof"... no....

When we went to the playoff final and the run up to it.. the club wanted us to take banners and flags with us.. funny how they didnt want to check for being "fireproof" back then wasnt it????

Some of that email was Spin! some were good points from Doncaster.. and extremely valid.. but i do feel that teh club has a "when it suits them" policy for certain things.. such as flags etc...

jas :)

Very interesting exchange of emails, but from that I think the following paragraph sums up the whole situation:

"You would have expected that the players who came into the dressing room having scored 3 goals and taken 3 points against Brighton would feel uplifted. But the mood amongst them was extremely subdued given the booing during the game and the protests after it. Is this what you want? Whatever your views about the Manager, aren''t we all here to achieve the best results possible? After a difficult run, surely the best chance of obtaining such results and motivating the players is loud support of them, rather than demonstrations right outside the changing rooms?"

Basically, you''re not allowed to protest in the stadium with "riot inciting" banners, especially if they are flammable.

They don''t want you to shout "Worthy Out" or boo in the stadium as this will have a negative affect on the players performance.

They don''t want you hold a protest outside the front of the ground as it upsets the players in the changing rooms.

So where the hell are people so supposed to protest? Round the back of the Jarrold Stand out of earshot of those who the protests are aimed at? In the Morrisons car park? Castle Mall shopping centre?

We all know that the board don''t want to sack Worthy, but how long will they put up with the discontentment of the fans and the negative effect it''s having on the players?

It sounds to me that the protests are working.

Also, no matter what you think of the board at this present moment, I love the fact that you can get this sort of contact with a board member so easily. I doubt there is another club like it.

Nice to see the club taking a pragmatic approach to the democratic process with its customers in much the same way as the last AGM.

Or there again maybe not!

As I said elsewhere Doncaster deserves huge credit for continuig to be an accessible face of norwich city football club for all fans alike - and the offer to pick up a phone is genuine...