cambridgeshire canary

The table as it stands

Just now, Number9 said:

Placheta has potential but no end product yet. He's jumping up a big level playing in the Championship and has alot to learn. Not there yet.

Josh was playing games for us last season any way, has lots of potential. 

But Josh wasn't improving our first team last season in my opinion. This season he is.

Last season Onel was our only pacey outlet, having placheta who has that pace and then some again, improves the first team for me.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

But Josh wasn't improving our first team last season in my opinion. This season he is.

Last season Onel was our only pacey outlet, having placheta who has that pace and then some again, improves the first team for me.

But surely Josh has hardly played any minutes this season. 

Much like Sorensen, Mumba, Dowell etc  time will tell. 

Farke hadn't played them extensively from the start, he obviously didn't think they were so much better?

They have potential, it's good to see, but we don't know where they will end up and how far they will go.

Placheta is quick, so was Usain Bolt but when he ran with the ball he wasted it at the end of his run too.

Placheta needs end product, he hasn't improved the starting eleven yet.

24 minutes ago, Number9 said:

But surely Josh has hardly played any minutes this season. 

Much like Sorensen, Mumba, Dowell etc  time will tell. 

Farke hadn't played them extensively from the start, he obviously didn't think they were so much better?

They have potential, it's good to see, but we don't know where they will end up and how far they will go.

Placheta is quick, so was Usain Bolt but when he ran with the ball he wasted it at the end of his run too.

Placheta needs end product, he hasn't improved the starting eleven yet.

Let's not try moving the goalposts just to try and be negative. You asked who I thought improved the first team, not starting 11.

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Let's not try moving the goalposts just to try and be negative. You asked who I thought improved the first team, not starting 11.

Apologies,  I wasn't trying to be clever or trip you up Hoggy, ideally transfers coming in should be better players than what's already in the eleven. 

Even if it's only a couple of players each year, if those two players are a step up, it's surely better than buying lots of mediocrity and hoping one of them might make the first team.

We have bought lots of players this year and loans, that all costs and has no guarantee of an improved starting eleven.

I don't understand the lack of end product complaint regarding Placheta. Seems a lazy assessment to me. He puts in numerous dangerous balls into the right area every game, it's just that nobody ever seems to be on the end of them because our forwards don't really like to attack crosses. I haven't seen him paired up with Hugill much yet unfortunately, if they had time to gel together I bet they'd strike up a great partnership. 

With wingers at this level you tend to get one of two problems. Lack of end product and a tendency to drift in and out of games and not take it by the scruff of the neck like they should. Placheta's problem is the latter. He needs to show more throughout 90 minutes for me, to be braver with the ball and to just get his head down and run with it sometimes instead of being too afraid to make a mistake. He's still young though and he's working for the right coach. Farke worked wonders with Hernandez after a slow start so hopefully he can improve this younger player with more potential even more

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Apologies,  I wasn't trying to be clever or trip you up Hoggy, ideally transfers coming in should be better players than what's already in the eleven. 

Even if it's only a couple of players each year, if those two players are a step up, it's surely better than buying lots of mediocrity and hoping one of them might make the first team.

We have bought lots of players this year and loans, that all costs and has no guarantee of an improved starting eleven.

I understand, but with our primary market being younger players they often haven't yet proven themselves at the top level. That doesn't mean they won't be capable, just as mere fans we have no idea when they come into the club. 

For me, Cantwell, Aarons and Buendia all developed last season and will do this, so whilst they're not signings I think they'll be able to perform at the right level next season. Some will say those three did last season anyway.

Defensively I believe Gibson is a better defender than Godfrey was last season. Godfrey I'm sure will become the better player but Gibson is a step up and since we have an option or, apparently, a requirement to buy upon promotion, I think hes an obvious upgrade.

Skipp is a better player than Trybull, and I already have seen enough to believe Sorensen is better than Leitner.

Last season our only pacey outlet was Hernandez which for any manager makes influencing a game using your bench extremely difficult. Hence I think whilst Placheta hasn't yet shown to be a better player than Onel (although he certainly has much better delivery) purely as a bench option he improves our first team.

Then there's the likes of Josh Martin who I think by the end of the season will be a big player for us.

You'll be aware that I stuck up for Rupp quite a bit last season. He clearly struggled adapting to English football but he also clearly had the attributes to be a good player for us. Until he was injured he was our best midfielder this season and I'm not sure how many would have said that so im a little skeptical of believing those who have said he definitely couldn't play at Premier League level 

12 hours ago, Number9 said:

Sorensen may have potential but as of today, mmm not yet.

Gibson possibly but time will tell, we do allow players to wander through and have shots still.

Quintilla, has he improved on our defensive situation? No, no assists or goals yet either?

Skipp, yes but has to go back to Josė.

Rupp? Found his level, not a Premier League player. 

In reply to your interesting subjective topic Number 9, your question was:

17 hours ago, Number9 said:

Who has improved the first team?

I would suggest compared to our last stint in the championship, all of these have improved our first team. We are conceding less and scoring more with a depleted squad to boot.

Sorensen has done very well indeed in another position. Quintilla has not looked out of place on the left, hit the ground running and has already put better balls into the box than Jamal managed. Rupp has blossomed and looks and improvement on one of my favourite players in Tettey. Gibson has been part of a meaner defensive unit and despite the odd issue looks class in most games.

So yes, improved the first team. PL standard? That's another question altogether.