Midlands Yellow

Stoke away predictions

22 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I know that and as i've said I can;t argue with the figures but i do find myself wondering precisely how that is the case.

Brentford missed two sitters against us. So did Swansea (who should have had a pen), Boro had a penalty disallowed after scoring. Rotherham missed a pen and some good chances as well and even Wymcombe had some good chances from set pieces. We dominate games and always have way more chances ourselves so i'm not saying we didn;t deserve to win any of these games (or draw at brentford) but I just dont feel, when watching us, that we are truly as "solid" as is being made out but haviong a good goalkeeper and a few slices of luck can help a lot!

I will also accept that we appear to have improved our defending from set peices quite a lot. Having Hanley in the team and Sorensen at left back probably helps with that as I think will having Tettey in the side tonight if he plays.

There's always an element of luck in good defensive records, because opponents will nearly always have a couple chances during a game and you can never rule out the possibility of something undefendable such as a 35-yard pile-driver into the top corner. If every club concedes from every chance against them, every penalty gets awarded and then scored etc. you'll end up with every side conceding five a game. 

Your point is a fair one, as we've conceded fewer than our xG against in each of our last five games, as a result of our opponents' profligacy.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure that's a big factor when you consider population density etc. 

I think it is. The population of Stoke-on-Trent is around 240,000 and it's within an hour-and-a-half of three of the 'big six', as well as having Port Vale in the city. Most of the towns around them have their own professional club or are have a closer Football League club than Stoke. Norwich as a city isn't much smaller than Stoke-on-Trent and has the entire county of Norfolk as a catchment area which has over 800,000 people. We do have a huge catchment area for a club our size.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm just glad Norwich isn't in the Midlands.

Just imagine.....

😱😫🤢🤮

Doesn't bear thinking about.