Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

Tenuous link to Jens Berthel Askou

Just saying, the Faroe Islands are gorgeous. Imagine a much wilder, windswept, coastal version of the Lake District, and you get the rough idea of the scenery.

They've turned out some decent players over the years as well, considering the population is only around 50,000. Not to mention KI Klaksvik got to the playoffs in the Europa League this season, the furthest a Faroese side has ever been, before Dundalk beat them 3-1. They crapped on Dinamo Tbilisi 6-1 in the previous round.

Askou  stated a few weeks ago that his ambition is to manage Norwich City at some point. We obviously made a good impression on him when he was with us.

On 15/11/2020 at 11:31, TheGunnShow said:

Just saying, the Faroe Islands are gorgeous. 

Definitely on my list of places I'd love to visit. 

Not when they are butchering whales though, shame about that aspect of their culture. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Definitely on my list of places I'd love to visit. 

Not when they are butchering whales though, shame about that aspect of their culture. 

Well, what's really different between their butchering whales and our butchering cows, chickens, pigs, etc?

Don't know if this'll work, but this photo gallery of shots should be for public viewing on my FB...

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10156115179104457&set=a.10156115178844457

Edited by TheGunnShow

I have visited, as part of a cruise in 2013. Very picturesque landscape and not like anything you’d see in the UK. 
nice place and I saw the Astro where presumably the national team play?

17 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, what's really different between their butchering whales and our butchering cows, chickens, pigs, etc?

You really need the difference between killing domesticated farmed animals and killing wild endagered species explained to you. .?  Sure, each involves the death of a sentient being, but thats where any similarities cease. 

If this paricular debate goes beyond 1post in each direction, then it should be taken to the non football section.

26 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You really need the difference between killing domesticated farmed animals and killing wild endagered species explained to you. .?  Sure, each involves the death of a sentient being, but thats where any similarities cease. 

If this paricular debate goes beyond 1post in each direction, then it should be taken to the non football section.

Pilot whales are not endangered. That's the species the Faroese tend to kill. And if they don't kill whales, they'll have to take other kinds of meat. 

Furthermore, whale meat is still a useful source of nourishment on the islands simply as the Faroes otherwise has to import most of its food. They certainly can't grow much there. You'll find it's nearly all sheep farming (or catching puffins).

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Pilot whales are not endangered. That's the species the Faroese tend to kill. And if they don't kill whales, they'll have to take other kinds of meat. 

Furthermore, whale meat is still a useful source of nourishment on the islands simply as the Faroes otherwise has to import most of its food. They certainly can't grow much there. You'll find it's nearly all sheep farming (or catching puffins).

I stand corrected then ref  the pilot whales.  I think I may have misunderstood your post, for which I apologise.  I personally try to eat as much wild meat and fish as I can, if not wild, then organic and free range. Though am partial to the odd dirty burger if I venture into a town large enough to have a hostelry  that serves them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I stand corrected then ref  the pilot whales.  I think I may have misunderstood your post, for which I apologise.  I personally try to eat as much wild meat and fish as I can, if not wild, then organic and free range. Though am partial to the odd dirty burger if I venture into a town large enough to have a hostelry  that serves them.  

I think the Faroese whale hunt gets misunderstood a bit to be honest - and never worry if the post was misunderstood, not a problem.

What I find odd is that a lot of people get irritated at the whale hunt on the lines of animal cruelty, which is an argument I understand and accept on its own merits - but happily eat meat from intensively farmed animals under far worse conditions as let's face it, you can't get much more free-range than the North Atlantic Ocean, not to mention it's basically fishing. The difference lies in the slaughter method as it looks far more graphic when the sea turns red! I will point out though that studies of chemicals in whale meat show high levels of some toxic substances (mercury and cadmium seem to crop up a bit) and Faroese consumption is falling.

Completely agree with you re. wild meat and fish / organic and free-range though.

It's one field where I can actually respect the more militant vegetarians/vegan set more because at least they are consistent, even if I, a man who is very much a carnivore (and has eaten whale meat up on Svalbard), wouldn't agree with their dietary choices on a personal level. The ones that amuse me are those who complain about whale slaughter, but don't bat an eyelid to factory farming.