Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Farke’s terrible substitutions 🤣

I definitely felt Rupp coming off was a load management issue as he's a very sprightly player with a good turn of speed who likes going box-to-box, but we'll definitely need him on his game for Swansea away, In fact, I suspect Placheta was taken off for the same reason as Swansea will surely not be as negative as Millwall were, and theoretically there should be more room for him to put his foot down and run into space. Putting Skipp as a wing-back baffled the hell out of me though. A central midfield three of Skipp, Vrancic, and McLean is one I can understand, but then I'd have Buendia behind one striker and not two.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2020 at 23:21, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Strange one today, he usually gets it right. the substitutions today were very uncharacteristic for Farke. It didn't affect the result in the end thankfully, it was highly unlikely we would have scored with the starting 11 on the pitch but there was virtually no chance we would we have conceded, after the subs we looked very likely to concede when Milwall broke on us and our whole set up became disjointed and the players looked visibly confused.

Farke is usually more measured than what we saw tonight. I don't think there's any pressure on him from the fans or the board so I can't really explain it. 

I'm not one who calls for subs for the sake of subs. I like that Farke usually uses subs intelligently, but I was worried as soon as they announced those 3 subs coming on. We had total control of the game, that we couldn't score was down to Milwalls defending, it wasn't a tactical or personal issue. The solution to breaking down an 8 man deep defence who were playing very well was either a few world class players or a Benteke in his prime/Crouch/Mitrovic type player to jump highest and head in a cross or set piece, we don't have any players like that so I'm not sure the manager could have done anything with his option to increase our chances of scoring. 

Millwall approached this game as if they were playing one of the best teams in the world. Ridiculous really when you think about it, just a few years ago this would have been seen as ultra negative anti football. But the game has changed, this tactic is now pretty commonplace. It's very, very hard to break down if every opposition defender is switched on and motivated for the whole game like Millwall were today. Subs were never going to make a difference. I only hope Farke learns from his rashness today because it very nearly cost us in the end. 

Funny old thing hindsight, why would you have kept Placheta and Rupp on when they were injured ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Funny old thing hindsight, why would you have kept Placheta and Rupp on when they were injured ?

Exactly, WBB. Who would have thought Farke was privy to such things? A good example of why he had to make the changes he did, had we have kept them on then we could be facing 2 lengthy lay offs. From Farke’s press conference it doesn’t sound like anything of any real concern and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them fit and ready for our first game after the international break. He made the right decisions there.