Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

MCVEIGH to be offered new contract

lets be honest here, wly has surprised everybody with the quality of his play up front this season. for me, his best city form before was always playing left wing for me, cutting in and scoring some great goals to boot - probably more than hucks has.  when playing alongside iwan, he never completely convinced me that was his best posi for city, and although ok on the right wing, he looks more at ease on the left.however, this season, he''s been back to his best and possibly proved he can play as a striker - although he may come up short in competiton with earnie for one of  the strikers berths now. he''s easily earned another contract imo, but as dicko says, he always having to tell mcveigh how good he is because he doesn''t believe it himself.  perhaps if he did have more confidence, he''d get out of his city comfort zone and find a different club, which played more to his strengths - he''s never going to be the athlete that perhaps worthy wants him to be. to a certain extent, he''s probably a square peg trying to fit into worthy''s high tempo training round hole. 

I think this is one of the best debates i have seen on the message board for some time with some brilliantly thoughtful answers.  Good arguements on both sides.  In my simple opinion, most of us as fans only see what happens on the pitch and not the training ground and from what i have seen during the games he has played WLY has been one of the standout players. 

Half of me hopes that he stays and continues to get regular games BUT the other half hopes from WLY''s point of view that he gets an offer from a good club and goes on to have a fantastic career.  I will be gutted for us but pleased for him and will smile for every goal he scores elsewhere (unless against us!).  Time will tell how he fits in after all the new signings.  I just hope that if he has another year, it doesnt get wasted on the bench.

WLY Paul Mcveigh!

Matt

Old Boy, just for the sake of discussion, forget the word "like" and forget the word "talent". Now what''s your opinion on whether Worthy "values" McVeigh? If he does, then during Worthington''s tenure you would expect McVeigh to consistently be in the team contributing from a position that suits his ability. If, on the other hand, Worthy does not "value" McVeigh because he thinks he''s lazy, then why has he not moved him from the club in all of this time rather a) than bench him ( which was the case for a long time ), b) play him intermittently in the wrong position or c) the right position when things are desperate?  

You see, it isn''t just beating up on the manager. It''s trying to understand his rationale. Surely if Worthy is right in his point of view it can only be a negative influence to "carry" someone at the club for so long. What message does that give to the rest of the players?

That someone else has an over-riding influence over Worthy''s decisions, considering also the efforts that he went to to in trying to persuade Francis to remain at NCFC.  When I saw Francis play he faded in games for long periods.

YC - as I said earlier, I believe the only credible reason Worthy hasn''t moved McVeigh on is because he knows he''s very talented, and that when he plays like he has been lately, he can be the difference between winning and losing. And I''m afraid I don''t believe he''s ever been played in the "wrong" position - he has 2 good feet, I''ve seen him put good crosses in from left and right, he''s got great positional sense and awareness of other players, and he''s a good tackler - he can perform as left-wing, right-wing or centre-forward. Even sporadic performances make him worth keeping, because he''s the most complete footballer we have at the moment. But he''s selling himself and the club short if he''s prepared to cruise for long spells.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

YC - as I said earlier, I believe the only credible reason Worthy hasn''t moved McVeigh on is because he knows he''s very talented, and that when he plays like he has been lately, he can be the difference between winning and losing. And I''m afraid I don''t believe he''s ever been played in the "wrong" position - he has 2 good feet, I''ve seen him put good crosses in from left and right, he''s got great positional sense and awareness of other players, and he''s a good tackler - he can perform as left-wing, right-wing or centre-forward. Even sporadic performances make him worth keeping, because he''s the most complete footballer we have at the moment. But he''s selling himself and the club short if he''s prepared to cruise for long spells.

[/quote]

the thing is WE dont see him cruise on the pitch.... he is a tryer... whenworthy orders hoofball he may have a quiet game, and no player can be great every week but fron what i have seen throughout his time at norwich (when he actually been played) is a good player... I dont care what he does in training or reserves as long as he is offering something on the pitch when played in the first teamm - which he inevitably does. And can do in at least 2 positions on they park - up front and left wing..

Another difference of opinion here Paul. I don''t believe Worthy "orders hoofball" - but he does allow the team to play this lazy game and has never successfully stamped it out. And we don''t see McVeigh cruising at the moment, I agree. But historically, he has done when the pressure''s off him. You''ll always prefer to interpret the situation in the least favourable way to Worthy, but I''d rather look at the evidence. I will say that McVeigh isn''t as bad as Mulryne was - Mulryne (who many posters thought was our creative midfielder) actually contributed very little over his years here. McVeigh has made a sizeable contribution, but he could have done more.

If we look wider, I agree that other players have got away with murder, and still been selected. I''m thinking of Fleming last year and Huckerby last year and this year. And I don''t understand why he continues to start with Hux week-in and week-out, and I wouldn''t try to justify it. But I think that Worthy expects more of McVeigh because he knows he can produce more.

[quote user="Old Boy"]

Another difference of opinion here Paul. I don''t believe Worthy "orders hoofball" - but he does allow the team to play this lazy game and has never successfully stamped it out. And we don''t see McVeigh cruising at the moment, I agree. But historically, he has done when the pressure''s off him. You''ll always prefer to interpret the situation in the least favourable way to Worthy, but I''d rather look at the evidence. I will say that McVeigh isn''t as bad as Mulryne was - Mulryne (who many posters thought was our creative midfielder) actually contributed very little over his years here. McVeigh has made a sizeable contribution, but he could have done more.

If we look wider, I agree that other players have got away with murder, and still been selected. I''m thinking of Fleming last year and Huckerby last year and this year. And I don''t understand why he continues to start with Hux week-in and week-out, and I wouldn''t try to justify it. But I think that Worthy expects more of McVeigh because he knows he can produce more.

[/quote]

I totally agree with your mulryne comments, he was never that good and is now fat. its just at tye time our midfield was horrendous.

as for hoofball, i dont see worthy doing anything about it. green bowling the ball out would instigate somewhat of a change.

Old Boy - I think that we play ''hoofball'' not because Worthington has failed to stamp it out, but simply because we''re not good enough in midfield to play the passing game. Only Safri is capable of passing well - Hughes, Jarrett and Etuhu are abysmal passers, whilst Robinson can only pass it 15 yards sideways or backwards for most of the game. And, of course, McVeigh is not a favourite of Worthington''s so he rarely gets a look-in, even when we''re short in midfield (no pun intended!).  

I agree that our players are static for great periods of the game, possibly due to laziness, but more probably due to the fact they they forget that ''move'' must be tacked on to ''pass and...''