Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Don't say it's over.. ICF's Villa Match Report

It was the best of times....yep, that's it pretty much :classic_biggrin:

I've not done many reports this season - life has got in the way and I've quite a few half-finished ones that I never had time to post.  But a bank holiday weekend means I actually have time for a report today.

So, an unchanged team was no surprise.  Tom Trybull's injury has given us McClean and Vrancic in front of the familiar back 4 of Aarons, Godfrey, Zimm and Lewis, with Buendia and Hernandez roaming from the flanks, Stiepermann behind Pukki.  Krul played every game in the end.

A bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking 12.30 as the game kicked off - well, actually it was pretty overcast and kick off was a minute or two late... City were on the front foot from the off.  I'd been delayed setting off (by our new cat - don't ask) so arrived just in time to see the kick off on the TV in the incredibly tiny bar area at Villa park, and watched the first couple of attacks which showed City meant business.  Fortunately in a break in play I was able to find an empty seat and very soon afterwards McLean played an exquisite through ball for Hernandez who got to the byline and zipped it across the 6-yard box, no surprise Pukki was there first to flick it on into the net.  Villa Park hasn't been a great place for us to visit over the years, and I"ve never seen us win here, but City were playing with the freedom you'd hope for after guaranteeing promotion last week so maybe that would change.

City were now rampant and for the next few minutes threatened to overrun Villa.  But on a foray downfield, probably their second attack of the game, Buendia put in a rash challenge out on the byline and Villa had a set piece which they put into the box and their striker was a yard quicker off the blocks than Zimm and flicked the header into the net.  It was reminiscent of goals conceded against Preston and Millwall among others, and a reminder (not needed I'm sure) to messrs Farke and Webber that Defending Set Pieces needs to be high on the agenda for next season.

City were still looking the better side, creating chances fluently, while Villa were relying on being more direct.  Both sides created chances - one City attack was cleared as far as Hernandez who curled a stunning shot onto the bar.  At the far end, Villa got the ball through to the by-line in the box, but Krul was there to put the ball behind.  

At one point Villa seemed to be trying to target high balls into our right back position, an interesting choice of tactic I have to say; after it failed to  get them anything at all, they wisely seemed to give up on it.

We had one long delay when McLean went down on the far side of the field and resumed play after lengthy treatment but it wasn't particularly surprising when he was replaced by Tettey shortly before half-time.

So at half time with Sheffield United losing to Stoke it was looking very comfortable.  Amusingly, Leeds were failing to beat L1pswich.

Play resumed and I felt it was a more even game, both sides creating chances.  At the City end we had one Villa cross which flashed across the 6-yard box with no one particularly close and one wild back pass from our left which beat Krul and fortunately was wide of the right hand post when Zimm slid in to clear it into touch.  At the other end in front of us away fans, City were looking back in control as the half wore on, creating quite a few good chances which frustratingly wouldn't quite fall right for the finish, Hernandez much involved although all our front players were combining fluently, it's great to have Vrancic and Buendia back.  Leitner was brought on for Stiepermann around 70 mins and City were looking very composed in possession.

We heard that Sheffield had fallen behind and then equalised, so it was beginning to look like a draw would be enough, but as always that can change in an instant so it was looking like it would shape up for nervy last few minutes.  But happily a super run by Jamal Lewis from the left and cutting inside let him square the ball to Vrancic who hit a perfectly placed shot from the edge of the box with his weaker right foot for 2-1 City.  The players went as crazy as the away fans, the entire team coming over to celebrate in front of us including Krul running the entire length of the pitch.  These guys care - I noticed Aarons was really annoyed with some steward who stopped him going right up to the away fans to celebrate with them.

After the goal City still looked more likely to score and there were just 3 minutes added time.  Farke made his trademark CB substitution in injury time, although it was Hanley brought on for Hernandez this time rather than Klose - a nice touch to give him the chance to be on the pitch at the end.

My match clock was showing 93 minutes were exactly up when Villa won a corner and City just had time to clear it safely before the final whistle blew, cue wild celebrations, then we had to wait while the Villa players went around the pitch - no end to the season for them - and they put up the presentation stand for the trophy while the City players went back to the dressing room.  It was great to see them come out and all get on the podium before the trophy was finally lifted.  We've definitely been the best team in the division, but you have to prove it by results and we've more than done that, 94 points, 5 points clear of Sheffield Utd and 11 points clear of the imploding Leeds in 3rd 😉 which is a fair reflection over the season IMO.

The players each took it in turns to raise the trophy in front of the fans - I'll try to post some pics when I have time.  Lots of nice moments - Max Aarons filming the crowd singing "There's a starman playing on the right..." Emi Buendia draping the trophy in the Argentine flag - applause from a fair number of Villa fans who'd stayed for the presentation (credit to them), Zimm and Klose lifting the trophy together., inevitably Rhodes being asked to start a song ( you can guess which one he started), a nice good by to Ivo Pinto by the fans.. so many.  It was great when Farke lifted the trophy (after all the players) and then Klose insisting that Delia and MWJ had their chance to lift it.

So a perfect end to a perfect season, it had to end eventually !.  For me, I had a feeling this team was something special after demolishing Sheff Wed 4-0 away, but the night I thought we'd win promotion was when we lost 3-1 at Preston.  Why ?  Because after going in at half-time 2-0 down (a set piece and a dodgy penalty) and going 3-0 down when they were able to score after a wonder shot from far out had hit the bar while we were pushing on to get one back, our team still wouldn't give up. And Max Aarons wanted it so much that he pushed over their keeper to try to get the ball back when Pukki finally scored at the very end.  Despite winning 3-1, Preston's MOTM was their keeper Declan Rudd and he played a blinder.  I thought then, if that's what it takes to beat us - (the last defeat we suffered this season as it turned out) - we're going to go up.  And now we are.

Next season can look after itself.  This has been the most amazing season, and what a time to be a City fan !!

Edited by It's Character Forming
typos & missing words
  • Like 11

Agree about the Preston game. Was the epitome of the never say die attitude that is so often used to describe this team.

Amazing season. I didn’t think the championship season under a certain Scotsman would be beaten for entertainment. It just has. What a time to be a city fan.

• Like 1

Thanks for that ICF, a great read, stayed up to follow the game but there's nothing like being there. Enjoy the party everyone, it's gonna be a great weekend. 

• Thanks 1