Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Is broadcasting making it worse?

Once again another weekend is blighted with players suffering racist abuse from people in the crowd. But the numbers being reported are increasing each time.

Knife crime has reached epidemic proportions and the randomness of some of them are hard to explain.

Or is the increase in both, the same as anti semitism,  just copy cat by the lunatic fringe out there or are there individuals or groups of individuals who are using the devisiveness prevalent today at the highest level, to carry out wha tthey have always wanted to do.

And is the broadcasting and analysis of the problem only making matters worse. Or as has been discussed before, are the punitive responses to these crimes not enough to prevent someone graphically illustrating their nasty feelings.

Has there been any incidents at Carrow Road or in Norwich? Down here in Cornwall, there is violence certainly but very little of the sort that is happening elsewhere. And the only racism is "if you don't like the way we live down 'ere, Fcuk off back to where you came from".

Maybe to illustrate my concern, Six soldiers have been arrested over an alleged **** assault on a female soldier.

The chief of the general staff, General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, said inappropriate behaviour was "downright unacceptable"

What planet is this guy on? What will he do? Stop their subscription to Playboy?

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Once again another weekend is blighted with players suffering racist abuse from people in the crowd. But the numbers being reported are increasing each time.

Knife crime has reached epidemic proportions and the randomness of some of them are hard to explain.

Or is the increase in both, the same as anti semitism,  just copy cat by the lunatic fringe out there or are there individuals or groups of individuals who are using the devisiveness prevalent today at the highest level, to carry out wha tthey have always wanted to do.

And is the broadcasting and analysis of the problem only making matters worse. Or as has been discussed before, are the punitive responses to these crimes not enough to prevent someone graphically illustrating their nasty feelings.

Has there been any incidents at Carrow Road or in Norwich? Down here in Cornwall, there is violence certainly but very little of the sort that is happening elsewhere. And the only racism is "if you don't like the way we live down 'ere, Fcuk off back to where you came from".

Much of the knie crime is realted to the price of 'charlie' - that has dropped and it is now the 'drug of choice' So more sellers and more 'turf war's where knives have been used

I don't think the words used by certain politicians have helped as far as racist abuse goes, tough the overall levels of violence are probably not higher. merely they are being dealt with more frequently

I well remember the stuff that is now shown on youtube often being prt and parcel of football matches and Saturday nights

with cctv cameras the police are aware much quicker and can respond faster - likewise cameras on phones allow stuff to be posted that previously went 'unrecorded'

so i think we are a long way off from Minnie Bannister' s warning 'that we'll all be murdered in our beds"

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Much of the knie crime is realted to the price of 'charlie' - that has dropped and it is now the 'drug of choice' So more sellers and more 'turf war's where knives have been used

I don't think the words used by certain politicians have helped as far as racist abuse goes, tough the overall levels of violence are probably not higher. merely they are being dealt with more frequently

I well remember the stuff that is now shown on youtube often being prt and parcel of football matches and Saturday nights

with cctv cameras the police are aware much quicker and can respond faster - likewise cameras on phones allow stuff to be posted that previously went 'unrecorded'

so i think we are a long way off from Minnie Bannister' s warning 'that we'll all be murdered in our beds"

"Minnie Bannister, the world-famous poker player – give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like."

7 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe to illustrate my concern, Six soldiers have been arrested over an alleged **** assault on a female soldier.

The chief of the general staff, General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, said inappropriate behaviour was "downright unacceptable"

What planet is this guy on? What will he do? Stop their subscription to Playboy?

I imagine they’ll all be court martialled but until then, as with everyone else accused of a crime, they’re innocent until proven guilty, so just what exactly do you expect the Chief of the General Staff to say at this stage?

As for racism in football, this mirrors racism in society in general.  People are far more aware of it now and, quite rightly, it gets flagged up whenever and wherever it happens, but let’s not pretend for even one second that it’s anything like it was in the 1970s or that it’s somehow suddenly getting worse.

• Like 1

so just what exactly do you expect the Chief of the General Staff to say at this stage?

Maybe he could have said something like

"If the charges are found to be justified then I will seek the harshest penalty i can for those found guilty"

"...... they’re innocent until proven guilty, so just what exactly do you expect the Chief of the General Staff to say at this stage? "

on that basis, nothing.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

"...... they’re innocent until proven guilty, so just what exactly do you expect the Chief of the General Staff to say at this stage? "

on that basis, nothing.

Yes, but then he'd have been absolutely roasted for not saying anything. 

Anyway, have we a full transcript of what the CoGS actually said? That brief quote looks to me like a typical bit of media selective, out of context, editing.