Sign in to follow this  
Benny

Travel Memories (politic free zone)

I mentioned earlier thread that I was interested in posting on a travel thread only for that thread to disappear. I have travelled a great deal during my earlier years, not so much recently and would enjoy swopping memories and experiences with others about their travels around the world.

What has concerned me lately was the floods in Bangkok, many of the roads I recognise under water, people carrying babies through the water which is infested with snakes and crocodiles. It has reached the Grand Palace which reminded me as something out of the King and I as it was so ornate but the guide said they didnt like ther portrayal of the King and I had been based on their culture. It was an eye opening experience for my wife and I, a culture shock in many ways but I was very glad I had gained from the experience.

I also enjoyed the memories of Venice being discussed on here, perhaps it can be revitalized once more.

I too have done a vast amount of travel in my time, both leisure and work-wise, Venice, Bangkok and the like so will post a few pics if you wish?

Absolutely, thanks Shrimper

Mine were before we had a digital camera and are in an albumn. What I was amazed at was the ride from the airport to the centre of Bangkok and the row after row of diggers lining the road, there must have been thousands of them. Policemen in face masks, but the people couldnt have been more helpful.

Here''s a tough one for you,

What''s your favourite city that you have visited?

(Non-British)

Blimey,no mucking about there!

Berlin probably for me,although not the best holiday.

Rio, Beijing, New York, Paris, Rome, Shanghai and many many more. I have loved them all and would be a hard job to pick a top of the list, but Nha Trang in Vietnam take some beating.

Haven''t been to Vietnam, been to Hong Kong over the years and Singapore, the eastern countries although very beautiful in parts, I prefer the rich history of European Capitals and their buildings.

I think my best memories are of Venice. I like chaos and decay. Dark sottoportegos, where will you end up?I have a book of American Ruins. Ante-Bellum grand houses. B/W quite atmospheric Shrimper.Daughter has just had a spell in Venice and then by train to Rome, I got the large moth eaten map out.It seems they went to all the places I resisted suggesting. (Oh dad shut up) Even found the Canova memorial.It was a marathon event weekend and many areas were incredibly packed. I can imagine the runneres....Not another bruddy bridge!

Talking of chaos,decay but with a large dollop of beauty Istanbul was a revelation.Good food,beer.Top people as well.The Sofia and Blue Mosques are wonders.Yet again apologies for quality of photo,but you get the gist.

[IMG]http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l547/stefanjohn/DSC00075.jpg[/IMG]

One of my youtubes featured Istanbul and traffic chaos. It featured a 3 year old in shorts.I had to take it off wrong music choice etc..And then my edited version went with a hard drive.So I''ll really have to get it going again. I was walking around the courtyard of the Mosque .It was quite interesting with Trams, All types of cars. About 1953.hex

Actually Herman the photo was pretty good. At least you have mastered the posting.I am too lazy to work it out.  Are those SAM 7s at the corners. (OOOPs Non political.)hex

I haven''t been to Istanbul, didnt get that far. Back to Venice, When I boarded the boat to Venice what amazed me the most was it was like looking at a poster of the place and was exactly as I hoped it would look, very beautiful, An October sunny day, no smells and a wonderful memory. Went to Burano for lunch, real Italian risotto, bought the touristy face mask which is still hanging in my lounge and of course the MuranoBurano glass decanter with etchings of Venice.

Ah, Venice. Beautiful but stinks (much like Edinburgh). Despite years of killing my olfactory nerves with smoking I really could not abide the smell for more than a few hours.

I will post a few pics of Venice when I get a spare 5 mins benny. I think I have posted some on her before (old forum) but not sure.

Thanks Shrimper I have many but will have to scan them in and then upload and it never works for me.

[quote user="hexem"]Actually Herman the photo was pretty good. At least you have mastered the posting.
I am too lazy to work it out.  Are those SAM 7s at the corners. (OOOPs Non political.)
hex

[/quote]

Naughty,naughty[:D]

Still have the trams hex.Cheap and easy way to get around.They love their minibuses and coaches and they are the best and really well priced to get further afield.Although i made the mistake of sitting in the front and could see the way they drive all too well.Absolute lunatics!!

Right folks I have logged on to Photobucket as well so beware my posts.Not uploaded anything yet.An amusing anecdote. We made many weekend trips on Eurostar to Paris.Sometimes just for lunch on a birthday.On a weekend in November we splashed out on a Bateaux Mouches dinner. It became crazy. we both had a bottle of wine and champagne. BUT the guys behind our table were Dentists on a conference. Possibly from Algeria.They were having an absolute riot of a time. Islamists .Just happy I guess.They kept passing us their wine. We ended up legless. Luckily I left the cameraat the hotel or my silly Gervais moment on the dancefloor would be on youtube.hex

A memory we had in Madeira in Reids, we didnt stay there but at the Savoy further downtown. We like to dine at as many famous restaurants just once, so we dined at Reids. We walked into an Agatha Christie Poirot type venue. Crystal chandeliers, men in white dinner jackets, women in cocktail dresses, waiters immaculate and tables pristine. However, two elderly ladies didnt like the wine they were given to try, their table was beside our table and were severely chastised by the waiter who said if they did it nest time he wouldnt let them try it again. We were aghast at his cheek but the elderly ladies loved it and were glowing in his praise. Really amusing in to see ho these waiters earned their tips.

Madeira has had a male only stance for years. We went to a female run restaurant some years ago.It was quite scary. Funchal. Everything was so correct we didn''t expect it, nor did we enjoy it.

To ride a Dolmus in Turkey is all part of the fun in Turkey herman like you say but you need strong nerves. There is always room for one or two more in a Dolmus. The bus licencing people here would have fit if we crammed as many in. No bus stops just shout out HERE whenever or wherever you want to get out.

Funchal is not for everyone but until you go there, how would you know?. The disco on the top floor of the Savoy was for the older generation, not for anyone wanting younger pastimes. Did you go on the sledging down the hills, not that entertaining with the men holding their hands out for tips demanding payment, sort of spoiled it. However, eating locally caught fish on the Rock seas edge

restaurant was an experience if not exactly to our taste.

I''ve never been as wet as when the clouds descended on us up at the Monte Gardens above Funchal and boy the size of those Koi carp up there. We didn''t fancy the sled ride down as we''d heard of a recent bad accident involving tourists. I''m going back maybe 7 years now.

During this vacation I also had a very dodgy belly just a couple of hours after eating undercooked pork and  I also caused the wife to slip over in the bathroom and bang her head badly after failing to clear up my splashing after a shower.

Oh yes, the rain, the thunder and lightening when we were on the plane, never been so scared. Once there, it seem to rain overnight so we were lucky. The pilot said that it was a short runway and they had to reverse thrust. A local told us they had an near miss the previous week, so we were just pleased to get there.

I have been looking for a picture to scan showing the roads as they were. A 2 way road alongside the mountains.No point you can hardly see it. With EU funding they (Portugal) have gone through the hills and made it a lot easier.One of our best holidays.

Writing about restaurants previously, I wondered if others have visited Raffles in Singapore. We went after the refurbishment several years ago. We went to the famous Long Bar, very nice, polished floors littlered with empty pea nut shells. While we were there two ladies who leant back in their wicker chairs nearly went for a burton when it almost overturned. Had the obligatory Singapore Sling, tasted like sherbert. Didnt care much for Singapore, the humidity did not suit.

Couple from Santorini. Superb place.

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/EWW1/CHANGED%20NAME/SANTOR77.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/EWW1/CHANGED%20NAME/SANTOR88.jpg[/IMG]

One of my favorite cities.

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/EWW1/area%20photos/ny3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/EWW1/area%20photos/ny2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/EWW1/area%20photos/ny1.jpg[/IMG]

One of my favourite memories was looking down on the Statue of Liberty from above, (quite green)then the aeroplane turned and we went almost upside down, hearts in mouth, still a moment to cherish and never forget.