Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Doctor Who

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Dr Who can be discussed in this Dr Who thread.

[/quote]

Funny that, who would have thought it?

Back on topic - has anyome come across the BBC America trailers for the second half of this series? They give much more of the plot away than our trailers, can anyone explain that?

I don''t think it happened as you type . nothing much has happened in the last 5 seconds1,2,3,.........

Hitchcock always talked about macguffins as he always had one in his plots, something to hook the watcher.Not sure but think I read it in the dim and distant passed that he coined the phrase. So I suppose he was.

Well as this is the defiitive Dr Who thread. A sonic screwdriver should solve your problem....Failing that a Golf mk 2 at 90mph makes mincemeat of pheasants. Structural damage to the car. No trace of the bird.hex

[quote user="Herman "]Was Hitler what''s known as a ''MacGuffin''?[/quote]

He certainly didn''t massively important to the plot although his presence did allow Rory the best line of the programme ("Get in the cupboard Hitler"). An interesting first episode of the second half of the season which moved the story arc along nicely and filled in another few points (most importantly why River Song dies in Forest of the Dead rather than regenerating as you would expect from somebody with Time Lord DNA).

I''m really enjoying this series. Especially compared to the latest Torchwood (which RTD still writes for) which has been pretty poor so far.

Although i enjoyed it,a lot was lost on me as i only catch the odd episode.The BBC repeats earlier episodes,doesn''t it?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Especially compared to the latest Torchwood (which RTD still writes for) which has been pretty poor so far.

[/quote]

I have a theory about Torchwood; RTD wrote a snappy three-parter for the Beeb but they farmed off the franchise to Starz. Finding out that Starz pay by the episode (rather than the series), RTD padded the three-parter out with superflous gumpf and unwarranted, overlong sex scenes.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

I have a theory about Torchwood; RTD wrote a snappy three-parter for the Beeb but they farmed off the franchise to Starz. Finding out that Starz pay by the episode (rather than the series), RTD padded the three-parter out with superflous gumpf and unwarranted, overlong sex scenes.

[/quote]You could be right. The disappointing thing is that the overall premise of nobody dying should allow a good writer to produce a really decent script. The last series (which was only five episodes long I think) had a similarly strong theme in an alien race wanting to take the planets children and how the adults (politicians in particular) would deal with it. Nearly all decent sci-fi on TV or film has one of these big oerarching plots which affects a whole species but it is the interaction between individual characters which sets great sci-fi like BSG apart from hoary old nonsense like the recent Torchwood series.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

Please stick to the topic, DW only in this tread

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Any chance of leaving this thread to the people who want to discuss Doctor Who? You both know why the format was changed but you don''t seem to have got the message.[/quote]

[Y]

After a  viewing of Torchwood & Hitler, I don''t think ce would fit in with the action.(He was a married man after all).I watched it too and barely knew where to look, ....Talk about hiding behind the sofa!.Hexem.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

Please stick to the topic, DW only in this tread

[/quote]

Absolutely pathetic, nevermind tried to circumvent the rules by sneaking his political statements into this thread. I was discussing a show that is part of the "Doctor Who" franchise, shares characters and was created by the same team. Not that you would know that of course, the only TV programme you get to watch is "Foster''s Home for Imaginary Friends".

What nevermind do is nothing to do with me fat boy. And you are right, I do not know anything about such programmes as I leave those to the grand-kids, for that is what they are, Children''s hour rubbish.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]What nevermind do is nothing to do with me fat boy. And you are right, I do not know anything about such programmes as I leave those to the grand-kids, for that is what they are, Children''s hour rubbish.[/quote]

You don''t actually have "real" grandchildren do you? And you don''t actually have a TV either, just a cardboard box in the corner of your smelly fishing hut that the little people talk to you from.

Basket Case.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]Ha Ha HA. I will PM you a meeting place where you can tell me face to face if you wish fat boy.[/quote]

Here we go again, thinly veiled threats of violence. Look kiddo, YOU were the one who started insulting me and my views in the first place, YOU were the one who told lie after lie about me. I''m only giving back what you dished out in the first place, and I never back down.

Ha ha ha. Not a threat at all fat boy, just an invite to talk face to face, man to boy you know. And you will see I never turn and walk either. I am always pottering around the Fisher Fleet in Lynn if you want to swing by.  

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]Ha ha ha. Not a threat at all fat boy, just an invite to talk face to face, man to boy you know. And you will see I never turn and walk either. I am always pottering around the Fisher Fleet in Lynn if you want to swing by.  [/quote]

Sorry kiddo, can''t afford the bus fare, the dole money only goes so far [:P] .

OK Morty.CE was a bit of a tit..That whole bunch of angry posts has been deleted for the last 3 days, so I don''t know why they came back.hex.

After watching the last episode on the iplayer can i ask a question of you parents? Do your kids actually understand what''s going on? I know it''s a saturday evening family programme but it is really complex.Or should i have faith in kids intelligence?

[quote user="Herman "]

After watching the last episode on the iplayer can i ask a question of you parents? Do your kids actually understand what''s going on? I know it''s a saturday evening family programme but it is really complex.Or should i have faith in kids intelligence?

[/quote]

Dr. Who is the only thing my son watches on TV and he understands it completely, ha also remembers all the various sub-plots, etc. since new Who started.

My kids are still a bit too young to watch (although my nearly six year old daughter is crazing me to let her) but I was talking to the ten year old son of some friends last week and he understood the various plots perfectly. I suspect it is a little too complicated for a large proportion of the adult viewing public though [;)]

With you there Shack. They talk so quickly now. And I am still trying to keep up with the sonic screwdriver! I watch it for the effects and young girls running around, sorry young actresses.I never have a clue what is going on.   hex

It''s good to know that youngsters can get the intricasies of the plots and sub-plots,and that the TV hasn''t dumbed everything down.It probably is my abused and addled brain that can''t quite understand it[:D]

[quote user="hexem"]With you there Shack. They talk so quickly now. And I am still trying to keep up with
the sonic screwdriver! I watch it for the effects and young girls running around, sorry young actresses.
I never have a clue what is going on.   hex
[/quote]

I wasn''t really referring to myself as I don''t have a problem following the plots. But look at the rest of the output on terrestrial TV between seven and ten o''clock and it''s not really surprising that so many ''grown ups'' find it hard to follow. I think it is a superbly written show that the BBC should be immensly proud of. Unfortunately they already seem to be dicking round with it to pander to the US market so it will probably be ruined within a couple of years.