Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

EFL/Carabao Cup 4th round draw

"What sort of team do you want put out Broadstairs - the Under 15’s?"

A bit silly that and I suggested nothing of the sort, merely that I would not wish for any of the first choice players included.

Taking into account that the fixture will not take place until the end of this month it difficult to assess the readiness of or need for some of the recently injured to need match sharpness.

Rather easier to say who should be left out, or even may be on the bench, and mine would start with Krul, Tettey, Klose, the two young full backs, Leitner, Stieppermann, Vrancic, Rhodes and Pukki.

I would include Cantwell and Buendia because I feel that both these promising youngsters are likely to be out of the firing line when McClean and Hernadez are up and running.

Of course players can be injured in any game, even in training as well as a league encounter, but that''s no reason to take unnecessary risks with the squad.

My point, which I assumed was made clearly, was that due to our sudden prominent and promising league position it is vital that we save our best for league games rather than risk any of them in an unimportant cup fixture.

Bournemouth 1971/72
John Bond, Mel Machin, John Benson, David Jones, Fred Davies,Tony Powell, Ken Brown, Phil Boyer and Ted MacDougall. MacDougall came via Man U & West Ham.
Later I remember Kevin Reeves, Mark Nightingale and Roger Brown.
And of course later still Efan Ekoku.