Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Webber today

I freely admit to not being a fan of the so called ''project'' or Webber and Farke themselves for that matter. That said I did warm to some of the Webber comments. There was a veiled hint that the boy Farke now needs to step up to the plate having underestimated the Championship last season.

It is almost certainly the hardest second tier in the world with some seriously big clubs with great histories, stadiums and crowds. In fact a number of Championship clubs positively dwarf the likes of Watford, Bournemouth and Huddersfield in the media obsessed and overhyped Premiership. The football is unrelenting and unforgiving in nature.

I am encouraged by the positive noises from Farke in respect of Godfrey and Thompson but remain to be convinced that he will ultimately trust them in the first team. Ditto Aarons and Cantwell.

The squad looks ''ok'' at the back and has a number of options in midfield. In terms of creativity and goalscoring, though, serious doubts remain unless Pukki, Rhodes, Hernandez and Buendia can step up to the plate in some significant capacity. JR must have a striking partner to work off. He is a penalty box finisher. End of. No relentless ''working the channels'' (like Jerome), no ''Vardy style'' pace to scorch past the last defender, no dropping back to some 30 yards out to piledrive one into the top corner (Oliveria). Failure to create chances for him and to provide real and meaningful support will potentially determine our season either way.

Maddison and Murphy aside, last season was dreadful for creativity and goalscoring. Forget the rubbish from ''online stats forums'' which (apparently) showed us ''creating'' a whole stack of chances''. Those of us who went to matches and watched without blinding yellow spectacles were brutally aware of our impotence in the ''final third''. If we don''t improve on that then a bottom half existence awaits us and any significant absence of JR could well lead to a relegation struggle.

It could (we all hope) work the other way of course and in addition to the players mentioned above we have the ''absolute class act'' of Leitner as well! He now needs to start justifying the hysteria. Beginning at 15.00 today.

Unfortunately I don''t think Webber will ever be able to do or say anything right in the eyes of some. I''ve never seen anything particularly wrong in what he has said since he has been here, he comes across as a confident fellow and why should he not? Didn''t realise Norfolk folk had become so sensitive.

[quote user="yellowrider120"] ...... I am encouraged by the positive noises from Farke in respect of Godfrey and Thompson but remain to be convinced that he will ultimately trust them in the first team. Ditto Aarons and Cantwell.......[/quote] So remind me who "trusted" Maddison and Lewis? 

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]Unfortunately I don''t think Webber will ever be able to do or say anything right in the eyes of some. I''ve never seen anything particularly wrong in what he has said since he has been here, he comes across as a confident fellow and why should he not? Didn''t realise Norfolk folk had become so sensitive.[/quote]

If you come out with the utter sh*te he did after the Bolton game, whilst spouting the usual community club cliches, then you deserve it back... Not sensitive in the slightest. Give as I get... Stop being so sensitve to criticism of our club employees

I wouldn''t be surprised if Aarons started today and good on him if he does.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="yellowrider120"] ...... I am encouraged by the positive noises from Farke in respect of Godfrey and Thompson but remain to be convinced that he will ultimately trust them in the first team. Ditto Aarons and Cantwell.......[/quote] So remind me who "trusted" Maddison and Lewis? [/quote]

Agreed - Lewis was solely the work of Farke in as much as he realised his potential early doors and included him as soon as he could. Maddison is slightly different in that the clamour had been there for him to be included since January but he was ignored by Neil and pretty much by Irvine also. The four month injury to Pritchard and the sale of Howson created the opening for Maddison. Sure Farke could have carried on ignoring him but the vacancy was there and only a stubborn fool would have turned it down.

I didn''t say Farke WON''T trust the ''youngsters'' I listed just that I''m ''unconvinced''. Have to wait and see.

[quote user="yellowrider120"] ...... The four month injury to Pritchard and the sale of Howson created the opening for Maddison. Sure Farke could have carried on ignoring him but the vacancy was there and only a stubborn fool would have turned it down........[/quote] Farke didn''t just fill a vacant hole when he selected Maddison; he shaped the team round him from the start in a way that absolutely nobody expected and stuck to it right through the season, even to the extent of under-playing Hoolahan, and asking a player of Leitner''s experience and ability to play second fiddle. You telling me Farke just went with the flow of Prichard''s injury and Howson''s sale? 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="yellowrider120"] ...... The four month injury to Pritchard and the sale of Howson created the opening for Maddison. Sure Farke could have carried on ignoring him but the vacancy was there and only a stubborn fool would have turned it down........[/quote] Farke didn''t just fill a vacant hole when he selected Maddison; he shaped the team round him from the start in a way that absolutely nobody expected and stuck to it right through the season, even to the extent of under-playing Hoolahan, and asking a player of Leitner''s experience and ability to play second fiddle. You telling me Farke just went with the flow of Prichard''s injury and Howson''s sale? [/quote]

He did ''shape'' the team around Maddison - I agree with you.

Don''t see what your point is. Hoolahan was only ever going to be used on a ''bit part'' basis whoever the manager was.

As for Leitner - he didn''t arrive until January when the boy Maddison was well and truly established as the key player.

Surely Leitner with all this hyped ''experience'' and ''ability'' should have been the main man in todays team. Not so it seems!

Truth is that a convenient set of circumstances conspired to create an opportunity for Maddison and Farke would have been nuts not to see that.

No sensitivity here Mike, just don''t understand why people get their knickers in a twist over everything he says. Seems like a waste of energy to me.