Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Fulham - Your Starting XI

[quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"]C) Name a better defensive mid who has played this role for us since Gary Holt back in the day.David Fox, Andrew Surman, Graham Dorrans, Andrew Crofts..... all played as CDM anchors at times and IMO much better than Tettey currently is. [/quote]And NONE of them play the same ROLE that Tettey does or Holt did!Are you being deliberately obtuse, or can you not understand the simple premise here???We are NOT talking about deep lying playmakers with an eye for a pass, which is exactly what Fox, Surman and Dorrans very clearly are, whereas Crofts was more of an all-round box-to-box type player rather than a great passer.We ARE talking about a hardworking, industrious, sometimes destructive midfielder, who doesn''t shy away from tackles, will constantly harass and dispossess the opponents midfielders, and then having done so, will give the ball to a more technically gifted and forward thinking teammate to look for a more progressive pass or opportunity.This really isn''t rocket science Lincoln FFS.[quote]And before you bang on about how much of a better tackler Tettey is than Fox etc etc.... My point their all round games were better than Tettey''s, and had a more positive effect on the teams performance.[/quote]Based on what???[quote]And please don''t forget, I''m judging this on Tettey''s current abillity,

which has diminished from the player we first signed a few years back[/quote]Another goalpost moved again...sigh....

Moving Goal posts again... your being silly Indy. All my opinion of Tettey are based on what he brings to the team now.

Yes Tettey is a different type of player (I didn''t say he wasn''t) to the ones mentioned, but the point you missed (deliberately) is that they often played in the same position. That position is better suited to a player than can make quick passes and can control a ball with a sharp first touch. Fox, Dorrans and Surman in particular could all do this well.

If Tettey is asked to play as a CDM in a 4-4-2 then his attributes come into play well. But if he''s played as a deep lying CDM then attributes mentioned above are important or you risk being closed down easily or giving the ball away in dangerous positions.

IMO (yes people have different opinions to you) Reed would be a better option in the deep lying CDM role.

No please Indy, you are starting to get boring.