Sign in to follow this  
Luke O Donoughoe

Snakepit Vs The Barclay

[quote]Well in the "City (morgue/retirement home) Stand", we mumble classics (after carefully removing our dentures) such as: "We use the loo''s more than YOOSE! doo dah doo dah!" "We''d come an'' have a go- ...[/quote]

mello

you are obviously far too noisy and young to be in there - why not the snakepit or barclay, or if you are feeling in a bit of a transition phase the south stand

btw, how many different styled tartan rugs are in there these days?  How many hip flasks?

[quote]Did you and Zipper take grumpy pills yesterday? The ''infighting'' songs always sound like friendly banter to me, usually cropping up when the away fans are particularly quiet/we have total control o...[/quote]

"(Always nice to hear something a bit more original though - give it some thought song-starters!)"

Spot on

I guess I could tolerate it more if the whole in-fighting wasnt the same songs in the same order everytime. God knows what new songs could be done though?! "Your just some blokes in a corner..blokes in a corner.." etc etc

V.Funny, Trent, on a similar vein:
Snakepit - "Bored in the corner, We''re getting bored in the corner..."
Barclay - "We''ve got more spots than you, we''ve got more spots than you..."
Mello & the zimmer-framers - "Who are we? Who are we?"
Norwich & Peterborough - "You hear, Our moans, All over Carrow Road, River End, River End..."
Barclay & River End Uppers - "Come on up up up, Come on up up up "
Everybody to the Jarrold Stand - "Are you South Stand in disguise?"

OTBC

I have sat everywhere in the ground at some time or another and I have no doubt where us City fans are at our most vocal. 

Away from home. 

[quote]mello you are obviously far too noisy and young to be in there - why not the snakepit or barclay, or if you are feeling in a bit of a transition phase the south stand btw, how many different styled ...[/quote]

Well Gazza, I like the view from where I sit, and I feel far superior to the more seasoned support that envelopes me. If they annoy me , I turn their hearing aids up on full - and then scream abuse into them; or maybe kick their walking sticks away from underneath them cos'' I''m a bully- and have to let these folk know "Who is the Daddy!......

South''s too cold, snakepits too bold, Barclay''s full of mould, so I prefer it with the old......

I was nomadic and used to sit all over the shop, but then I found a little semi near to where Micky Wynn and Delia relax (I reside on the outside of where the demi-gods sit I may add) no intimidating thugs near to me, so I nestled down, laid my hat- and now thats my home. Tartan rugs are few and far between these days, as waterproof thermal underwear is the new ''pink!''

Haven''t seen many hip flasks, but there''s quite a few hip replacements! "On the pigs bladder City!" ;~)

Mello

Thanks for these posts it''s made me feel all misty eye''d and homesick for the comforts of the mad scrum for the coffee and biscuits at half-time...

I''ve spent many a happy game in the Main Stand/City Stand courtesy of my Dad''s ticket or his friends - before retiring to Barclay for my teenage kicks!   Mind you, in the 70''s it was a dangerous place to be - what with getting your feet trampled as those without the hip problems used to make their feelings felt by stamping on the wooden floors and if the game was going particularly badly, remember the rain of cushions that they used to let fly with at dodgy refs or visiting managers - I remember Ron Saunders coming back with Villa I think and getting a few well aimed cushions thrown his way!

Did anyone take a milk crate to the games to stand on so that they could see the game - what on earth would they make of that today?!!!

[quote]Mello Thanks for these posts it''s made me feel all misty eye''d and homesick for the comforts of the mad scrum for the coffee and biscuits at half-time... I''ve spent many a happy game in the Ma...[/quote]

hi plastic

yeah, i remember the cushions, those were the days, everything was more colourful then, including the clothes and hair  he he

i had my most terrifying experience in the city stand, was beaten up by some Orient fans (a cup match) was only about 12 at the time!  Such things would never happen now

shame when it burnt down (the city stand that is) all the character seemed to leave, wonder if mello is now trying to liven the stand up again!

wat you all on about the snakepit better than the barcley!!!!u must be having a laugh. im a season ticket holder in block d and we are as loud as ever we outsing u every week u jus see next game. and wat you goin on bout the lower n and p making noise the only noice cumming from there is the noice of ppl eating there crisps lol. u dont make no noice the directors box is noisier than you lol. well jus see at sheffield weds game i spose peace out

Hi Sam

You must stand near my son then at the back of D block then (he is responsible for a lot of the singing) so I have been told

Recently he sat near me in C block and was too loud for some of the more fragile supporters near me.

So, should I send him to the River End?

"Did anyone take a milk crate to the games to stand on so that they could see the game - what on earth would they make of that today?!!!"

Happy memories Plastic Scouser. I started off sitting on a crush barrier (with Dad stood behind me) as not even a milk crate would''ve given me a view!
When I got bigger, Dad made a stool out of chipboard (v.posh, I know) covered in vinyl to waterproof it.

Having graduated to a 6''4" lump, seeing the game was never more a problem (apart from for those people behind me!). Of course we all have to sit now, IT''S NOT THE SAME!

Anyone know how the campaign to reintroduce standing areas has fared lately? I really fancy getting up some local noise (perhaps they could give us a gentle slope in front of the hotel?). Any other takers?

[quote]"Did anyone take a milk crate to the games to stand on so that they could see the game - what on earth would they make of that today?!!!" Happy memories Plastic Scouser. I started off sitting on a cr...[/quote]

Re the standing areas, count me in on that one FBM - would love to stand with you on that gentle slope!

I doubt though, due to legislation it will ever happen, i guess us old un''s just have to content ourselves with happy memories, although i think Cardiff away is still standing terrace, was the last time we went there, although not a trip for the faint hearted  

Used to stand on a milk crate myself, but usually in the good old days, the old boys in the River End would let kids down the front, but you had to get there early and suffer the weather, ah we have it far too easy these days.  Also, do you remember the souvenir huts behind the stand?  Only sold rostettes and scarves in those days.  Toilets were pretty basic too.  Graduating to the Barclay in early teens it was an amazing atmosphere and today''s crowd noise or atmosphere has never come close.

[quote]"Did anyone take a milk crate to the games to stand on so that they could see the game - what on earth would they make of that today?!!!" Happy memories Plastic Scouser. I started off sitting on a cr...[/quote]

Re the standing areas, count me in on that one FBM - would love to stand with you on that gentle slope!

I doubt though, due to legislation it will ever happen, i guess us old un''s just have to content ourselves with happy memories, although i think Cardiff away is still standing terrace, was the last time we went there, although not a trip for the faint hearted  

Used to stand on a milk crate myself, but usually in the good old days, the old boys in the River End would let kids down the front, but you had to get there early and suffer the weather, ah we have it far too easy these days.  Also, do you remember the souvenir huts behind the stand?  Only sold rostettes and scarves in those days.  Toilets were pretty basic too.  Graduating to the Barclay in early teens it was an amazing atmosphere and today''s crowd noise or atmosphere has never come close.

Fat Barman - a man after my own heart - you must have problems with those seats, I know I do - or I should say the people sitting in front do when they get a couple of kneecaps in their head.   I mean, we must be freaks you and me, you at 6ft4 and me at 6ft3...unfortunately I don''t think we''ll ever see standing areas again - hence the misty eyed recollection of milk crates and crush barriers...