Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Things that have to happen if we want to survive

We are a pretty united bunch on here and rarely do we disagree.

Here is what I think AN needs to consider going into the final stretch;

Central defence; Bassong is obviously too risky. We need someone who wont throw in a goal costing mistake every game. Sadly we are horribly short of CB''s - Why we have so many midfielders and so few CB''s is a massive failure by the club, but it''s too late to rectify that now. So my best shout would be to bring Martin back in and pray he has the fight in him.

Naismith and Jarvis; Not up for the fight and mostly ineffective. Two very disappointing signings. If we bring Wes and Redmond back for the remaining games they will surely be more effective.

Goal keeper; Got to stick with Ruddy as despite his 3 shots three goal ratio today he has done fairly well since his return.

Goals; By far our problem area. But I honestly believe MBok is our best option. He has had few poor games despite his lack of service and remains in my eyes one of our strongest players. If all else fails Bamford might deliver something, but Jerome must surely now be out of the running.

Wide defenders; Olsson at LB looks up for the fight and has done well of late so an easy one there. Wisdom was terrible today at RB. Given that Martin may and should take the BC role, I personally think Pinto is our best bet.

I think we are all agreed on the rest of the team, bar perhaps Howson. One thing is for sure, win or lose, we need to stick with the the team for the remaining games. No more tinkering.

Our opponents must have little to play for and we find a goalscorer from somewhere in the club.Play Redmond up front, hools just behind, pints as winger job done.

Agree with much of that but we need goals, and Wes doesn''t score enough. I would move Howson forward and bring in another midfielder such as Ofoe.

Agree with Jarvis and Naismith though.

This just shows how desperate our situation is. Are we really talking about Martin back in at CB, after all the cries of derision that led to his removal. With the exception of a few, that looks remarkably similar to the side that got us relegated last time.

Thecanaryfan wrote "Why we have so many midfielders and so few CB''s is a massive failure by the club, but it''s too late to rectify that now."

You''re right - we don''t really have any options for the back or the front. Too many midfielders - even the youngsters (some on loan) are predominantly midfielders.

All largely wishful thinking now. We had it in our hands but we''ve blown it, time to think about next season.

I don''t think Wisdom was bad yesterday, barring a penalty which looked fair enough on replay but harsh in real-time.
Time for Pinto to step up.

Oh, and while we''re at it, Bennett was just as bad as Bassong yesterday.  All he did was clip it back to Ruddy or hoof it long to nobody.  I thought he went missing for a fair bit of the game, something a CB cannot afford to do.
Bassong f*cked up royally but didn''t hide.