Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

New season, different league, same rubbish

Christ, it''s doom & gloom round here. I only popped on to see how Marney got on and it looks like the sky must be caving in.

OK as a Spurs fan I will get my tuppence worth in. Doherty was one of the more limited footballers I''ve seen at Spurs - but if his confidence recovers I reckon he could do a job in the lower divisions. I''m just worried that his confidence will never recover.

So.....how did Marney get on? He had a good pre-season and I''d rate him as a versatile RM but we''re still expecting a lot of development from him.

This is all a bit overdone.  I''d rather look at the positives:

1. Marney looked the business, skillful and wasn''t afraid of the physical side of the game.

2. Ashton is off the mark and could have bagged a brace. Strikers rely on confidence and his is up and running

3. Leon and Hucks had decent games and again will be feeling confident.

4. A makeshift central midfield coped for 2/3 of the game. With players to come in we will be a lot stronger and will hold more possession - on Saturday we had less possession than Coventry.

5. We came close to winning (a crossbar away and we could have been two up before they scored with a bit of luck) despite a bad performance against an alright midtable team.

6. Our debutants all had reasonable or good games.

7. We have healthy competition in the squad for places and players will need to play for their places. We have one of the best young center backs in the country to come back in once he''s recovered fully from his mumps (I don''t buy into any other explainations), two gifted central midfielders to beef things up and extra firepower on the bench.

8. Even the crowd was showing a bit of early season sluggishness. It takes all of us a wee while to get up to speed!

I realistically expected 5 point or so from the first three games. Lets get to mid September, say after the Reading game, before we all get too excited.

4. A makeshift central midfield coped for 2/3 of the game. With players to come in we will be a lot stronger and will hold more possession - on Saturday we had less possession than Coventry.

I think that is an optimistic claim - all the stats that I have seen said we had only 40% possession, and that was borne out by what I saw at the match. The midfield we played on Saturday just wasn''t good enough and will not be good enough in the future. Despite having Jarrett and Safri to come it clearly highlights the need for Worthington to sign a quality central midfielder now. 

[quote]4. A makeshift central midfield coped for 2/3 of the game. With players to come in we will be a lot stronger and will hold more possession - on Saturday we had less possession than Coventry. I think...[/quote]

37% possession according to the official site. Thats a shocking statistic for a home side that is supposedly stronger than Coventry.

[quote]4. A makeshift central midfield coped for 2/3 of the game. With players to come in we will be a lot stronger and will hold more possession - on Saturday we had less possession than Coventry. I think...[/quote]

Of course we could do with an additional body for central midfield, the fact we had to start with Charlton on Saturday speaks for itself on that matter. That does not get away from the fact that with Jarret or Safri in there we will have more of the ball and with our attacking outlets that will translate into more goal threats.

I''d love to see another signing to provide injury cover as we''re a bit thin but if we can''t get anyone who would improve the squad then we go with what we''ve got. On another day we could have won by a couple and all this doom and gloom wouldn''t have materialised.

Sign Sidell then.  After the transfers out we have the money and we have the available wages. There is little doubt that he is probably the outstanding midfielder in this division so we should make an offer that cannot be refused