Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Pretty boy Steven Whittaker

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Turner - seems to be part of the absence makes him better glasses; he was part of some poor defensive early season games; Yobo brought more since he has been here but the latter better with seb than bennett.

Howson - good but inconsistent; some great games but as with yesterday has long periods where you forget he is on the pitch and he is not contributing as he should - pretty much like our team actually; you cant be anonymous as a cm.  [/quote]

Turner hasn''t got better through absence. He''s just good. That''s why he was PPOTS last season because his fellow pros know what a big presence he is for us.

Is Howson any more inconsistent than anyone else? I''d argue that he plays consistently well more than most. Before injury he was quite clearly the best player in the team. But then yesterday was his first start after a lengthy injury lay off so it is only fair to use that as an example of him not being at his best.

Turner was a big presence for us last season and he had good games this too;   but had already been dropped 2/3(?) times before his injury at Selhurt Park.   The whole back 4 has been inconsistent (olsson apart) turner included and we have conceeded fewer goals per game since his injury than before,  esp with Yobo / Bassong in partnership.

Turner is a good squad player,  just right now you go with the fit form partnerships.

JH is clearly not yet fully fit,  so saturday was not representative but it was a game he should have had a greater influence on than he did,  and that is a recurring theme (for fer too, so he is not alone),  I agree he was having his best season for us pre injury.

If Bassong has just been dropped again then how is he part of the "form" partnership?

Having said that, he''d be in my team. As would Turner. Get back to what has worked well for us in the past.

(Of course I would only bring Turner back if he was fit but from what I''ve seen of Yobo so far Turner defends better)