Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Too much media attention?.

Now the old wiz has managed to work out just how important this ''ere Fulham game is, all by his little self.

I''m sure you know, Nigel and the squad knows, in fact anyone connected with the club knows also.

Sure as hell, the local media knows, so is a 5 page ''special'' justified in the EDP today?, and the constant coverage on local TV news, is just the same.

My point is this, I believe they are all guilty of making this game too big!. If you don''t think players read or watch local news topics, you are kidding yourself.

Any human being would be nervous going into this game (just think of the enormity here) and players are only human after all. Nerves will play a big part in the result, lets make sure we''re not beaten before a ball is kicked!.

Come on Media, knock it off, don''t you remember the Cardiff result?.  

Totally agree with you Wiz. The media has really gone over the top with the build up to the match, the 5 page special in the EDP is OTT. Like you say, the players will see this and that is what will give them nerves during the match. However, saying that, they will be under no illusions with or without the media as to how important the match is, but the local media certainly doesn''t help. As for the reasoning behind the OTT 5 page special, i suppose the EdP is just reflecting the hype and exictiment behind the match....

Does that mean we should stop posting on Websites this week as well, you can''t just stick your head in the sand.  Quite frankly I cannot read enough info on the game it all adds to the nervous excitement & I am sure that the players & management are fully focused on the job at hand & the media has been banned from Colney anyway.

Very true Wiz.  I think everyone is well aware of what is at stake and we don''t need even more pressure on the players.  There is enough already!

Norwich play loads better against teams that are better than them and when they are considered the underdogs , Cardiff we played really well but just got the wrong side of the coin toss both teams deserved to win .

More hype the better as the players will be strait out of the firing block from the start .

We will win on Sunday !!!!!

Wiz -you''re right it won''t help, but I recall some months ago you telling us all you''d seen the end of season table.

Did it look like it does now with us in 17th?

If so then publicise it - it might help take some of the pressure off some supporters anyway!

the local press always hype the big games to the max. they''re bound to, as it makes for good, easy copy and all helps to shift newspapers off the shelf. i remember rick waghorn of the evening news, bemoaning the fact that he had nothing to write about when city had that long period without a game. when journo''s have a golden opportunity like this massive game at fulham to write about, there''s no holding them back.
they will have no compunction if all their hype has the adverse effect of a nervous reaction in SW 6 and disaster for city. in fact, that''s just another story.

Wiz, would you prefer it if the media hype was all about how there was no way we''d win this match, how we were destined for failure, how all the teams around us will win etc? Play down the importance of the match and then if we nick a victory, then hey, wow! let''s go mental?

I think not. This is a HUGE game for City. The opposition are most definately ''beatable'', and we need to instill belief in the players that we''re behind them, not expecting a win, but knowing that a win is most definately achievable.

As steven says, it makes for easy Journo copy, but remember, these journo''s are all City supporters. They''re writing about the endless opportunities as they''re all as excited as we are. How many threads have we had on here stating the various permutations of results? The only difference between us and them, is that their opinions and permutations are published and read by a wider audience.

The whole fact that we can still stay up is a story in itself. Let''s be thankful that we''re even having this discussion.