Sign in to follow this  
Graeme Miles

Midfield Crisis Looming?

I''ve been thinking about this, and wondered if anyone else has noticed the potential ''falling apart'' of our midfield unit?

Looking at the midfielders we have (or had) and then then listening to peoples opinion, the news, and rumours,There only seems to be about 4 players definately staying,  I know you shouldn''t take too much notice of rumours, but is this still a worry? Take a look:

Gary Holt - suffered in Prem, will he still cut it back in Fizzy pop league?

Phil Mulryne - Gone

David Bentley - Gone, Probably not coming back!

Francis - Love him to stay, but rumours suggest he''s off to charlton

Saffri - Will be staying

Huckerby - No worries

M. Jonson - think he''d be good enough for Fizzy league.

Graham Stuart - Gone? might stay?!

McVeigh - Staying or leaving?

Brennan? Also, how come no midfielders seem to break through the ranks, or would you class henderson as a midfielder now?

Solent Canary

We do potentially have a solid midfield of Hux Francis Safri Jonson but what is missing is any sort of cover.  Obviously signing Bentley would give us options and there is a risk that Francis will leave.  However Damo needs some competition for his place and we need cover, better than Holt, for when Youssef is injured or suspended.

Hux wideleft works in the first div but does leave the defence exposed and that needs addressing too.  Hux - too good to leave out but how do we use him!??!

OTBC 

McVeigh must be given another chance I feel - we know he can do it at Championship level and our squads small enough as it is.

I can''t honestly believe that people still think that Francis will stay after his last few performances. Come to think of it would we WANT him to stay. He strolled around while we got relegated. He wants away, let''s get the money and reinvest in someone who will make the effort.

After Francis'' perfomances of late I would be happy to get £1million for him... That will leave a space in the centre of the midfield next to Safri next season. I think every effort has to be made to buy a class player who is already in the Fizzy league, who is capable of performing in the premiership. We know there will be a little cash to spend next year with parachute payments and possible sale of a few players, so the likes of Sidwell off Reading? Huddlestone off Derby (if they miss out on the Prem)? Seth Johnson off Leeds?

I think we also need to address the centre defence with Darren Ward or Gabbidon good prospects...

What do you think? Any other players come to mind?

[quote]After Francis'' perfomances of late I would be happy to get £1million for him... That will leave a space in the centre of the midfield next to Safri next season. I think every effort has to be made to ...[/quote]

Huddlestone has already agreed to sign for Spurs but Sidwell would be good as would Gabbidon at centre half.

...and now I have picked up the Sun to read that Birmingham and Everton are fighting over Sidwell.

Anyone else who would fit in centre of midfield with Safri? Reo-Coker? Koumas? Dickson Etuhu?