Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The Games I Fear !.

First things first, well done to everyone for the great win over the Dons yesterday (especially the stunning supporters) unlike some of the more insane predictions which surprised me as they came from very respected pundits on here, I always knew it would be too close for comfort. Although I really should learn to trust City Angel more, as she always seems to get it right!, ie. Hucks.

As I''ve also watched a lot of other live games this season, abeit via Sky TV, the 3 teams I''ve been really impressed with this season have been West Ham, Crystal Palace and Wigan. It is these games which worry the life out of me, all of whom have pacy forwards and play with real flair.

Now as we have Malky and Flem in the heart of the defence, and although they have done superbly well this season. they are both I feel, suspect against real pace, does anyone else share my concern, or can pick their own 3 danger games, or indeed offer solutions?.

Yes I know there all hard games now, but I''d love to hear your thoughts on this, we''re so close to P (whisper it!) that I can''t stand the thought of it now all going down the toilet at this late stage.

I couldn''t agree more Wiz. I was sayin a similar thing on the way home from the most souless place in the world: Milton Kynes. Iain Dowie has really turned around Palace. they are playing really well and I would be very suprised if they didn''t make top six. As for West Ham they seem to be going from strength to strengh. The sales of James and Defoe have really allowed them to bring in some quality. Most notably Zamora and Reo-Koker i think.

What we have to bear in mind though is that we don''t have to worry about Palace, West Ham or anyone else. If we keep playing the way we are, and keep winning (especially against the top sides) nobody will catch us. Let''s just play our game, and let the likes of ipswich worry about everyone else.

Ps I love the fact that they are now outside the play-off spots! Life is sweet

It''s good, for the sake of the board, Wizard to generate a thread and keep the interest rolling. However, to suggest that any team in this division of under-achievers could worry the life out of you is lowering my opinion of your manly make-up. Most are having a hard time demonstrating any consistency. It''s so bad that you have to believe that even teams like Coventry and Stoke have to be eyeing the possibility of a playoff spot. If it weren''t for the sad demise of Leeds it clearly looks like the three teams that went to the Premier last season would be promptly coming back down. Goodness knows how this seasons complement will fare. And, as for city angel, while she came close to getting it right yesterday, her blinders will have her picking Huckerby to score in every match. Of course, this will probably mean she will be right some of the time. I think you and I should join the scoring prediction race next week and let that worry the life out of us.

Wow! the fact that you even think that I may have manly attributes is high praise indeed YC, however I do believe you are being a trifle unfair to the standard''s in the 1st Division though. City are worthy (excuse the pun) leaders and not because of the others low standard.

City can only play whats in front of them, good or bad they still have to win, and thats not as easy as it always seems. As for the dear City Angel, you know I''ll never change my views that I believe her to be a brilliant poster.

As for the prediction league, I''m sorry but I don''t approve of it, I believe its silly and tempting the fates too much for me. Although I''m sure you''d do well though, as you do talk a good game. 15 love to me I think. Your serve!.

Yes us supporters did well yesterday,it was cold and really windy,no roof to shield us but we sung our hearts out and got right behind the boys as usual.Not a great game but another 3 pts which is the important bit.I agree West Ham will be up there in the play offs and yes we have some tough games to come,but this team are up for the battle and I have every confidence that this team will get us into the premiership this year. When we get there the club will need to take stock and Nigel will already be thinking about who will cut it and who wont,he knows he will need to strengthen our squad in several positions if we are to survive,midfield and defence would be a priority in my opinion.
If I had to pick 3 danger games they would be gillingham,burnley and watford,we struggle against these bottom clubs and they''re the ones which will make me a bit nervous.Having said all that I''m confident that the boys won''t let us down and with loud vocal support both home and away any battles which come our way will be faced together.
No more talk of it all going down the toilet Wizard be confident and trust me,after all I''m an angel!

Yankee,
How nice to see your post,Ive missed you lately and thats a worry!Guess your babysitting duties must be over and you survived.
Yes I was close with my 2 - 0 prediction yesterday,but picked the 22nd minute so was 6 mins out,but not bad for my 1st try.Yes Hucks will often feature in my scorers prediction but if you were a bit closer and watched him week in and week out you would be as confident as me that he will score most weeks.Still will be tricky to get the correct score and score times, although I enjoy a challenge especially if it will mean beating you boys!
Also have to agree with you that no-one in this division should worry us although I do admit that I get a bit nervous when we play the clubs in the bottom 6 and we have gillingham,watford and burnley to play yet.
Look forward to seeing your Coventry prediction I havent quite decided on mine yet.
P.S.Is blinders an american word or did you mean blinkers?

Saturday was the best result this season it answered a number of questions.

I am never the most confident and am pessimistic in the extreme, couldn''t sit and watch the scores unfold against Sheff U and Wimbledon, but stayed with BBc 2 and teletext. Couldn''t get to Sheff U as Xmas tooks it toll on finances.

But after Saturday we have nothing to fear from our remaining fixtures, might conceivably drop only one or two points between now and end of season.

Why banana skin games against Burnley and Watford are away, we have good record against Gills. Coventry not the happiest hunting ground but expect a draw at the least.

Most home games are against the fancied sides who will come looking for a result and now we are fairly solid away from the fortress.

Obviously not all over but the rest have it all to do, fingers crossed confidence is not misplaced, but if I''m confident we all should be.

We''re in the groove now, the team have proved to others and more importantly themselves, that they are where they are on merit and that they can take on whatever this league has to throw at them.

I agree that Wigan and Palace look class acts now. And i think everyone has thought that, regardless of their troubles up to now, come the end of the season W Ham will be pushing hard, and their new signings only reinforce that. I also think Preston are looking dangerous and I hope that we have everything wrapped up when they come calling to Carrow Road on the last day of the season.

But two things win this league - the ability not to lose when playing rubbish, and consistency. That''s why i still think WBA will be close to the auto promotion spot despite the Preston result. Between them and West Ham.

We have never had either of those two things in div 1.
But now we do have consistency and occasionally we pull a draw or even a win out when we''re playing rubbish (Derby at home, Forest at home, Sunderland at home, Wigan away...)

I don''t think the likes of Wigan, Palace, Sunderland, Preston and perhaps the most unpredictable team in the league down the road, will have the consistency to trouble the auto spots. We will lose games between now and the end of the season. But if the players can ''just'' keep the frame of mind they''re in now, that of knowing they have nothing to fear, then they can do it.

KEEP THE FAITH EVERYONE - it''s gonna be a nervous few months, starting from last weekend!
(Well, that was the point for me when i, very carefully, started to believe...!)

Wizard agree with you regard teams to fear. Think preston are going to be a handfull also but hopefully we will be promoted by the time we play them.With regards to malky flem any defender will struggle against real pace. just hope are pacy forwards keep fit specially hucks he is the key to the prem he makes everyone perform including the fans.