Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Jimmy Hill's 3 Point system.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I was curious to see what the table would like like under 2 pts for a win : Man Utd - 25 2 3 =   52 (77)Man City - 18 8 4 =  44 (62)Tottenham - 17 6 8 = 40 (57)Chelsea - 16 7 7 =   39 (55)Arsenal - 15 8 7 =   38 (53)Everton - 13 12 5 =  38 (51)Liverpool - 13 9 9 = 35 (48)W Brom - 13 5 13 =   31 (44)Swansea - 10 10 11 = 30 (40)Fulham - 10 9 11 =   29 (39)W Ham - 10 6 14 =    26 (36)Soton - 8 10 13 =    26 (34)Stoke - 7 13 11 =    27 (34)Norwich - 7 13 11 =  27 (34)Newcastle - 9 6 16 = 24 (33)S''land - 7 10 14 =   24 (31)Wigan - 8 6 16 =     22 (30)Villa - 7 9 15 =     23 (30)QPR - 4 11 16 =      19 (23)Reading 5 8 18 =     18 (23)Norwich and Stoke would be a couple of places higher.  Villa would swap places with Wigan by a point, and Man City would be 4 games behind Man Utd instead of 5.  Otherwise, not much difference.[/quote]

Interesting too see a 2 point table, but you may expect it to be the same, because all teams were actually playing with a 3 points incentive.

If they knew it was 2 points for a win some teams may well have approached the game differently resulting in a different table.

I''ve got it!!!!

Why don''t we start every game 0-1...??

Then we''d have to score to get a point and if we didn''t manage it we''d get doubly punished for being so negative because our opponents would get 3 automatically.

That should get us safely relegated.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well of course we could go back to goal average. Anyone fancy working that one out too?

[/quote]

I can''t remember that Nigel ..how did goal average work?

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well of course we could go back to goal average. Anyone fancy working that one out too?

[/quote]

I can''t remember that Nigel ..how did goal average work?

[/quote]

Goals scored divided by goals conceded. The three teams on 34 points would be in the same order (Southampton, Stoke and then us) as they are now under the goal difference system, although the first two have the same goal difference and Soton are placed ahead only because they have scored more. Under goal average Soton would be clearly ahead.

Thanks Purple. All the systems reward goals and wins...something we are a bit short of lately.

Anyway...All the best to Jimmy Hill, footballing icon, and designer of many things that improved the beautiful game.