Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

REMINISCING THE 70'S 80'S 90'S ETC

any idea of the attendance ?

you can see it''s really busy with the crowd ''swaying about'' in the opening bit, kids sat on the pitch side and most importantly the bit of the Barclay next to the Main Stand, that never filled up unless it was really busy

except when a few used to congrgate there just before the game finished - or a few cheapskates who came in for free when they opened the gates, which were ofet a good 15 mins before the end of the game

where were you nutty ?

Seen many different attendances published for this game. It''s around 42,000 I think. I was stood in the front of the South Stand but we were moved a fair bit as the ground filled up. My first football experience was a lot about queueing both to get the ticket and on the day. Remember loads of Sheffield Wednesday fans. On balance I think a gentler introduction might have been in order but what the heck! The FA Cup was massive back then. Far bigger than any division in the league. Cup fever took over the whole City in a way our recent successes never could. And I was there! I think it was the last time that fever really took hold. I guess it was because we''d won at Old Trafford in the previous round and 1959 was still fresh in the memories of most fans.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

1967 v Sheff Weds

don''t know if this was too early for you Swindon

does capture how it was though

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/923

enjoy

[/quote]

My first game and also City''s first game on MOTD.

[/quote]

I was there as well.  So packed in the Barclay that I climbed over the railings and sat right behind the goal - remember seeing myself on MOTD!  Are you sure this was our first appearance on MOTD as I remember seeing the away tie at Man United on the TV which was the previous round or was that shown on Anglia on the Sunday afternoon???

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

1967 v Sheff Weds

enjoy

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was there as well.  So packed in the Barclay that I climbed over the railings and sat right behind the goal - remember seeing myself on MOTD!  Are you sure this was our first appearance on MOTD as I remember seeing the away tie at Man United on the TV which was the previous round or was that shown on Anglia on the Sunday afternoon???

[/quote]

Think it was the first m''Lord. But you''re right we''d previously been on Anglia''s Match Of The Week.

Loved the second half of the 60s even though we had little success. There was no expectations. The first division was only a dream and yet we lived for the next home game even if it was the stiffs!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

1967 v Sheff Weds

enjoy

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think it was the first m''Lord. But you''re right we''d previously been on Anglia''s Match Of The Week.

Loved the second half of the 60s even though we had little success. There was no expectations. The first division was only a dream and yet we lived for the next home game even if it was the stiffs!

[/quote]

Because our expectations were not great I remember all Cup games (FA and League) being highly anticipated.  My first FA Cup game was Blackburn Rovers in ''66 and I remember queueing for ages for tickets (for the Barclay, obviously!)

And if we were knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd Round we''d often get a friendly on 4th Round day. Was Forest one year complete with Ian Storey-Moore! It must be so different for youngsters today. Maybe better? But I loved those times!

Canary and Dumpling

The golden goal board - two man job

The Norwich and District Pipe Band still marching off the pitch as players and ref hang around

Shaking hands with Lennox Lewis at first ever Sky game

Sweeeeeeeeets!

You''re gonna get wot Jimmy Rimmer got!

And too many more to mention....v

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And if we were knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd Round we''d often get a friendly on 4th Round day. Was Forest one year complete with Ian Storey-Moore!

[/quote]

I remember we played Coventry one year, after getting knocked out by Hull I think