Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is MacNasty as good as we like to think?

Anyone who thinks Doncaster was any good as a CEO is a fool. The man didn''t have a football bone in his body before getting the job, he was just a solicitor/accountant who just got lucky at the right time, nothing to do with any knowledge, he never made any decision that was of any benefit to the club, the only ''successful'' management appointment he made (Worthington) was a fluke/cheap option as he was already working here as a coach, subsequent managers which he sought out as replacements all proved to be a disaster.

McNally may not have a clue when it comes to PR but he knows his stuff, I just hope all the bridges he seems to always be burning with the core support doesn''t come back to haunt the club if/when we drop down again, they wont be able to charge £30 for a league cup/reserve game then.

Lol plan b. He didn''t make any successful management appointments because Worthy was Bob the Grocer''s. But like it or not he was CEO 2002-4 and that didn''t work out too shabbily for him. Another thing that''s difficult to fathom is the job he got up in Disnae Land. I know they are not the strongest footballing nation but I''d stake my last penny that the Scottish FA know more about football that the average message board bod.

David McNally is a very good chief executive. I don''t understand the criticism over our decision not to sign CMS. We refused to pay over the odds for a player who''s only previous Championship season had yielded 10 goals in 43 games. The fact that we got promoted and he only got 9 in 45 games at Championship level the season afterwards vindicated that decision.

Nobody knows what happened regarding Lambert. We''ll have to wait for the various tribunals to decide who exactly is at fault. However what is clear is that Lambert had made up his mind he was leaving and there was nothing anyone could do to persuade him otherwise. Unless some Russian oil tycoon had pitched up at Carrow Road overnight with millions of pounds to spend on players.

As for appointing Hughton. I don''t get how you can completely write a manager off after 7 league matches. You mustalso assess the decision in real time not with the benefit of hindsight. At the time he was the outstanding candidate for the job. We got the job done quickly and efficiently without too much fuss. So for me McNally delivered on that one as well.

As for the ticket prices. Yes I agree that the Stoke game has been aggressively priced but if Norwich can sell those tickets at that price then he will argue he has done good business for the club and help them maximise their financial potential.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]He''s clearly good at his job. Our financial situation is so much better than it was when he took us over. Its so much better than it was last time we were in the Prem. And will be better if we go down than last time. We had our best season in what 15 years? We''ve signed and bettered a number of lower league players. We are not overspending, and even if that means relegation this season. Its still better than overspending, because what can we realistically achieve without a Russian billionaire or some Arab royal family? If we go down, we will be in a very good state to go back up again. On our budget a yo-yo club is pretty good. Look at other established premiership teams, bar Wigan most of them have spent a fair bit of cash, or got lucky with a few good players (Fulham, not sure how much they have spent in recent years, but Dempsey and Dembele were too good for them). Some of the above is down to Lambert. But its all happened under McNally''s rein. The fact he''s upsetting fans with prices, yet were still selling out for pretty much every league game is a good thing. He knows perfectly well prices would have to be very high to see attendances drop. Its why he''s not pushing for an increased capacity I suspect, we don''t have unlimited fans but we have enough to fill Carrow Road for every home league game, even charging more than you''d want to pay to watch us against Stoke. Were not a little club, but were not a big club. We are a club that can reasonably expect to finish anywhere between midtable premiership and midtable Championship with our resources and fan base. McNally got us to the top of that. With the new manager it seems unlikely we will replicate that. Lambert''s start wasn''t great, we only one once in September, and only one twice our of four or five in August (can''t remember if he was incharge against Exeter or not). And that was in League One with a squad that was way to good for the division. Hughton has been unlucky, we''ve had decisions go against us. Players missing. Some of his tactical decisions have also been wrong. But I don''t think our 3 poor performances/results and our failure to win the other games we were better in is totally down to Hughton at all. And i''m sure over the next 4 games we will pick up a couple of wins and avoid relegation easily. And then no one will be questioning McNally.[/quote]

I can accept the Yo Yo'' premise GP, if in fact, we DO go straight back up, but there''s a few clubs in the Chumps now finding that idea a little harder than they first thought.

I''m not agin MacNally but he does have that ''nasty'' image, that reputation might just damage us when deaing with other CEO''s

Mr Mac and Mr Bowkett are the reinforced spine of a rather poor board of Directors of a Premiership Football Club......

Our CE is doing a decent job......and is head and shoulders above the previous chap......Who''s name escapes me.....deliberately.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Mr Mac and Mr Bowkett are the reinforced spine of a rather poor board of Directors of a Premiership Football Club......

Our CE is doing a decent job......and is head and shoulders above the previous chap......Who''s name escapes me.....deliberately.

[/quote]

Sounds like the chocolate digestives are back on the table Mello. [:D]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Sounds like the chocolate digestives are back on the table Mello. [:D]

[/quote]

"Bishcuits! Wot bishcuits!"

Mr McNally has clearly brought football experience and greater commercial awareness to his role as CEO. So, yes, based on our experience to date, I think we should characterise Mr McNally as an extremely effective CEO.

It will be interesting to see what action, if any, is taken if next season we do not make a good start in the championship. Will decisive action be taken as against Gunn or will Hughton be given relatively more time as an appointee of the current board?