Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Oi, get a bloody grip !!

[quote user="Herman "]I agree with most of it,but how many seasons can we keep using the ''look how far we''ve come'' line?[/quote]
For as long as we stay in the Premier League Herman[:D]

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"] How people dare to point fingers at Holt is beyond me ! A man who ALWAYS starts slow and delivers. A man who WOULD NOT cut it in the Championship. Who DEFFINATLY Would not cut it in the Prem. A man who has delivered time and time again despite being a porker ![/quote]The point a lot of people are making, and quite rightly, is that Grant Holt might well be delivering NOW if he had turned up at the start of the season in some sort of decent shape. His sole job through the summer is to keep himself fit for the season ahead. He''s paid handsomely for it, and has 100% failed to do that.He showed what he''s capable of last season when he lost the flab after being dropped. He looks horrendous at the moment. Slow, sat on his heels, immobile and unable to have much in the way of a meaningful impact on games. He won more or less nothing in the air yesterday. Morison came on and won pretty much every ball that was played up to him. In his first five minutes on the pitch he''d won more in the air that Holt had managed in 60 odd minutes. The apologists will point out what a hard time he gives the defenders. How Clint Hill was subbed at half time because he couldn''t handle it. What, exactly have these gargantuan efforts from our portly captain garnered? Certainly not the wins that the overall team performances warranted in the last two home games.For most people, turning up for work in state that means you''re not really fit to do your job would land you in trouble. Not only has Grant Holt done just that for the first few games of this season, but he''s done it off the back of negotiating himself a cushy new contract. If I was David McNally or Chris Hughton I''d be f**king seething.

[/quote]
Yet another post of complete and utter bollocks

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"] How people dare to point fingers at Holt is beyond me ! A man who ALWAYS starts slow and delivers. A man who WOULD NOT cut it in the Championship. Who DEFFINATLY Would not cut it in the Prem. A man who has delivered time and time again despite being a porker ![/quote]The point a lot of people are making, and quite rightly, is that Grant Holt might well be delivering NOW if he had turned up at the start of the season in some sort of decent shape. His sole job through the summer is to keep himself fit for the season ahead. He''s paid handsomely for it, and has 100% failed to do that.He showed what he''s capable of last season when he lost the flab after being dropped. He looks horrendous at the moment. Slow, sat on his heels, immobile and unable to have much in the way of a meaningful impact on games. He won more or less nothing in the air yesterday. Morison came on and won pretty much every ball that was played up to him. In his first five minutes on the pitch he''d won more in the air that Holt had managed in 60 odd minutes. The apologists will point out what a hard time he gives the defenders. How Clint Hill was subbed at half time because he couldn''t handle it. What, exactly have these gargantuan efforts from our portly captain garnered? Certainly not the wins that the overall team performances warranted in the last two home games.For most people, turning up for work in state that means you''re not really fit to do your job would land you in trouble. Not only has Grant Holt done just that for the first few games of this season, but he''s done it off the back of negotiating himself a cushy new contract. If I was David McNally or Chris Hughton I''d be f**king seething.

[/quote]
Yet another post of complete and utter bollocks
[/quote]In what way is it bollocks? I''d like you to point out point by point what is bollocks about that post. It''s a reaction to what I''ve seen, and as far as I''m concerned is more or less on the money. The rest of the team look good. The defence looks more solid than it did last year. The midfield, while not stellar, have been good enough. Snodgrass has proved his doubters wrong and looks like he''ll both create and score goals. What''s missing is the ability up front to make the ball stick, or win the ball in the air. Holt did this brilliantly last season. On Saturday he barely ever brought the rest of the team into the game when it was played up to him. He won next to nothing in the air. He either concentrated on his defender too much or completely mistimed his jump (usually far too early). I was shocked when Holt stayed on and Morison replaced Jackson, as was more or less everyone around me.What did he do? In what way did he contribute to making us a more effective attacking side? I just can''t understand why some people can''t ever see that Grant Holt has bad games. It fucking baffles me.

[quote user="Fellas"]When Holt made his debut for us, pre-season against man u before league 1, I saw this overweight sluggish forward and thought we''d got another Peter Thorne.

Then when we had the start of our championship season Holt turned up unfit, overweight and off the pace. I thought he''d lost it and that he would never cut it above league 1.

Last year he was slow to start, and I was concerned that the premier league was maybe a step too far.

I know better this time.[/quote]We all know he can do it, but he SHOULDN''T BE STARTING SLOWLY. The reason it happens is because he doesn''t turn up at the start of the season in good enough shape. I don''t care how many goals he''s score over the last 3 seasons...it''s not on.

People only see what they want to see. 

I see a player who gives everything on the pitch, is unselfish in bringing other players into play, puts himself around  making himself a nuisance to the opposition centre halves, was directly involved in Jackon''s and Snodgrass''s goals and who has not had many clear cut chances himself to score, mainly due to a lack of quality crosses.

Others see a fat lazy ex-tyre fitter.

I wonder which perception is the most accurate? [:^)]

[quote user="lake district canary"]

People only see what they want to see. 

I see a player who gives everything on the pitch, is unselfish in bringing other players into play, puts himself around  making himself a nuisance to the opposition centre halves, was directly involved in Jackon''s and Snodgrass''s goals and who has not had many clear cut chances himself to score, mainly due to a lack of quality crosses.

Others see a fat lazy ex-tyre fitter.

I wonder which perception is the most accurate? [:^)]

[/quote]

And ask the QPR defenders if he was lazy, he ran them ragged.

I''m with LDC on this.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Fellas"]When Holt made his debut for us, pre-season against man u before league 1, I saw this overweight sluggish forward and thought we''d got another Peter Thorne. Then when we had the start of our championship season Holt turned up unfit, overweight and off the pace. I thought he''d lost it and that he would never cut it above league 1. Last year he was slow to start, and I was concerned that the premier league was maybe a step too far. I know better this time.[/quote]

We all know he can do it, but he SHOULDN''T BE STARTING SLOWLY. The reason it happens is because he doesn''t turn up at the start of the season in good enough shape. I don''t care how many goals he''s score over the last 3 seasons...it''s not on.
[/quote]

Are you aware that at the end of each season every player is assessed and they are given a training plan and targets for when they return for the next pre-season, if he did not meet those targets then he would''ve been fined and given extra training. Does anyone know if he was fined?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Fellas"]When Holt made his debut for us, pre-season against man u before league 1, I saw this overweight sluggish forward and thought we''d got another Peter Thorne. Then when we had the start of our championship season Holt turned up unfit, overweight and off the pace. I thought he''d lost it and that he would never cut it above league 1. Last year he was slow to start, and I was concerned that the premier league was maybe a step too far. I know better this time.[/quote]We all know he can do it, but he SHOULDN''T BE STARTING SLOWLY. The reason it happens is because he doesn''t turn up at the start of the season in good enough shape. I don''t care how many goals he''s score over the last 3 seasons...it''s not on.[/quote]

Are you aware that at the end of each season every player is assessed and they are given a training plan and targets for when they return for the next pre-season, if he did not meet those targets then he would''ve been fined and given extra training. Does anyone know if he was fined?

[/quote]Fitness is a big part of my job. I know what it looks like when someone is not in the best condition. IMO Holt has come back from pre-season in less than optimal condition. He looks bigger and is clearly not as sharp as he could be (especially when compared to the rest of the team). I don''t think he''s crap. Just a bit lacking in fitness. If you don''t agree, then fine, but I won''t be told I''m talking b****cks when I can see for myself that he doesn''t look at his best physically.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="Fellas"]When Holt made his debut for us, pre-season against man u before league 1, I saw this overweight sluggish forward and thought we''d got another Peter Thorne. Then when we had the start of our championship season Holt turned up unfit, overweight and off the pace. I thought he''d lost it and that he would never cut it above league 1. Last year he was slow to start, and I was concerned that the premier league was maybe a step too far. I know better this time.[/quote]

We all know he can do it, but he SHOULDN''T BE STARTING SLOWLY. The reason it happens is because he doesn''t turn up at the start of the season in good enough shape. I don''t care how many goals he''s score over the last 3 seasons...it''s not on.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fitness is a big part of my job. I know what it looks like when someone is not in the best condition. IMO Holt has come back from pre-season in less than optimal condition. He looks bigger and is clearly not as sharp as he could be (especially when compared to the rest of the team).

I don''t think he''s crap. Just a bit lacking in fitness. If you don''t agree, then fine, but I won''t be told I''m talking b****cks when I can see for myself that he doesn''t look at his best physically.
[/quote]

There''s no need for the hissy fit. Where have I said you''re ''talking b****cks'', I just asked if anyone knew if he''d been fined?