Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Well done but?

We can''tfind anther striker, even one out of contract or on loan until January, because our 25 squad is fixed until then. The very young don''t count, but how many outstanding young strikers are there?

One of the problems with our strikers is that apart from Jackson, who has other problems, Holt, Morison and Martin are too slow to arrive or respond to a brilliant through ball. By the time they get there, the massed oponent ranks are back and the penalty area is full. I don''t know how you can deal with this, as the strikers have to stay onside and thus have to stay in our half.

One thing I could suggest is that they follow the example of Surs, and that is that they run at the defence inside the penalty area and dare the defenders to tackle them while they are going at full speed. (Of course, we wouldn''t get a penalty with any of the refs we have seen lately, but the prospect of tackling Holt at speed must be a daunting one.)

Another thing is to let someone other than Snoddy take set pieces, unless he can do so with much greater consistency. It could be either fullback who could be rather more accurate at finding Holt''s or Moro''s head! Perhaps Tetty could be pressed into service, or Howson.We really must make much better use of free kicks round the penalty area.

We still miss quite reasonable shooting chances - even Butterfield and Tettey missed a couple against Doncaster. I hope that they practice such things in training. Johnson has a real pile-driver of a shot, but 9 out of 10 go wide or over, and something similar is true of the rest. We can''t score if we miss the goal! If the problem is to snatch at shots in panic or enthusiasm, do they not enourage coolness and concentration in training? If we could require the goalkeeper to save half of those we blast over or past, especially if we aim in the top corner or just inside the post, we would probably score a lot more, and survive until January and a further signing or two.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Another thing is to let someone other than Snoddy take set pieces, unless he can do so with much greater consistency. It could be either fullback who could be rather more accurate at finding Holt''s or Moro''s head! Perhaps Tetty could be pressed into service, or Howson.We really must make much better use of free kicks round the penalty area.

[/quote]
Excellent post generally, didn''t quote all of it as it does my head in when people quote huge chunks of text, but just to address the point above, Garrido is supposed to have "a wand of a left foot", so I''ve been surprised not to see him on more set pieces, but agree, we need to start mixing up the takers rather than Snoddy taking them all the time.

I agree with some of what you say, Salopian, but regarding our shooting, in several games to-date we have had more shots on target than we were getting last season - I think it was 14 (out of 20) against West Ham, and 12 yesterday (out of 21 shots). Those ratios aren''t too bad in themselves, but do need a few more goals attached to them!