Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

6 - 4

In the five pre-season games so far our goal difference has been 6-4. All the goals against were scored by 3 top European teams (including Celtic generously), which were all more advanced in pre-season preparations than us.

Of the goals we scored 4 were scored against the same top teams, giving a goal difference 4-4, which seems satisfactory. Less satisfactory were the results against English Championship teams, especially MKDons, where we could not score despite many chances. Neither opposition managed to score against us.

Conclusions:

1) Although we have been concerned about defensive quality and cover, we have done reasonably well defensively. This has been achieved by more focussed team defence – I noticed the “two lines of four” repeatedly. Clearly training has made a contribution here. We remain vulnerable from two directions – long distance shooting and rapid pace down the centre or wings. Both suggest a slowness to respond and a lack of pace. I hope that with further preparation some improvement in the former, at least. I am also surprised that Ayala has gone and Ward remains.

2) Our goal scoring has been very reliant on Vaughan. If, as many fear, he suffers further injury, we may have to rely heavily on the midfield to score goals, but they are the front line of the two lines of four.....

not quite as magic as this time last season if i remember correctly (cant find last seasons pre-season games since the official site updated!)

im sure its nothing but i hope the magic hasnt left :-O

Pre season is a fitness exercise, it''s not something to base your views of the coming season on.

Hughton is trying out different players, in different formations, with different goals in each game. How can you even give these friendlies a second tought? Just seems odd that people are taking so much out of meaningless friendlies. We lost 4-0 to MK Dons in the LC last season, people did the same thing. There is such a thing as a meaningless game.

[quote user="Salopian"]

In the five pre-season games so far our goal difference has been 6-4. All the goals against were scored by 3 top European teams (including Celtic generously),

[/quote]

We beat Celtic 1-0.

OK - my thoughts are

1) Mixed bag on the results - Hertha Berlin are a 2nd Division German side so not exactly top.  Yes we lost the game but it was our 1st preseason game, should have had a penalty, and theirs was questionable.  Different ref, slightly different view, and we possibly win 3-2.  As for the Championship/L1 sides, a 2-0 win away to Peterboro is a pretty good result, MK Dons not quite so good, but as mentioned elsewhere we lost 4-0 to them at Carrow Road last year - at least a clean sheet this time

2) Preseason is all about which formations and combinations work and general fitness.  Some teams (Celtic for example) were well in front of us.  Players are coming in and have to get used to each other

3) Only one preseason game will have a bearing on the start of the season - and thats likely to be the Borussia game, where Hughton will probably want to try out his starting lineup and his back up plans

4) The Transfer Window is open until the end of the month - so there is still time to recruit even once the season has started.  We''ve departed slightly from the old system of signing everyone as soon as the window opens but dont panic

All in all I think there are more positives than negatives - we certainly seem to be less likely to concede (long range shots are just as likely to fly off target so its better to get teams shooting from distance than from 10 yards out) and we havent lost much of our firepower overall

There is no point getting excited or deflated over pre-season games, its all about building match fitness.  Hughton isnt about to deploy his favoured 11 or tactics until the first game of the season.  Its frustating to watch at times and you want to see us doing well, but it means nothing.  After the Ajax game, I was really frustrated but it was an exercise in playing without the ball, something we will face at some point during the season.

Best pre-season bar none was the pre-season before the League 1 campaign.    100% record, flamboyant attacking football, lots of goal.  We all know what happened next.

Conclusion?    Pre-season results are meaningless.     As has been said its about judging fitness, partnerships, attitude, formations, shop windows etc etc. 

Taking stats from pre-season as being something meaningful  is about as useful as watching  football with your eyes shut. [:S]