[quote user="City1st"]more absurd twaddle

claiming that City will not be strengthening the squad, as opposed to my view they will is hardly slightly different, it is the exact opposite

I might also point out the ''attacks'' are upon their posts, not themselves as persons

so if you must post, do try to post what is relevant and directly relates to the debate, not what you think sounds clever but has little bearing upon what has been posted

[/quote]I find it amazing that every time I read a thread that you post in, you end up insulting someone and/or having an argument. It must be tough being the only person on the Pink Un with an IQ over 60 [;)]Re: OP, I think you''e right to some extent. The teams coming up are strengthening extensively, so could easily do well, just as we did last season. They''re still justifiably amongst the favourites for relegation, though. I have faith that we can do enough to survive.

Whilst it''s difficult to predict what will happen, I''m feeling reasonably optimistic about the new season. I think that a settled, experienced squad counts for a lot. The key could be an early win (remember how long it took last year). A draw at Fulham and home win over QPR (while the new players are still trying to gel) would be a great start and help to build confidence early but it''s a long haul and we won''t really know that much until Christmas, IMO. Still and all, I remain confident. OTBC!

I still think we are lacking a pacey striker of Prem class. Hopefully we will make some movement in filling this ''gap''.

[quote user="paul moy"]I still think we are lacking a pacey striker of Prem class. Hopefully we will make some movement in filling this ''gap''.[/quote]But a proven PL goal scorer costs big bucks, and if by some miracle we pick one up cheap (transfer fee), their wages are more than we can pay. I really don''t think we''ll be making a ''big'' signing. We''re much more likely to pick a striker up from The Championship, if we buy one at all.

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="paul moy"]I still think we are lacking a pacey striker of Prem class. Hopefully we will make some movement in filling this ''gap''.[/quote]

But a proven PL goal scorer costs big bucks, and if by some miracle we pick one up cheap (transfer fee), their wages are more than we can pay.

I really don''t think we''ll be making a ''big'' signing. We''re much more likely to pick a striker up from The Championship, if we buy one at all.
[/quote]

They don''t have to have played in the Prem to have Prem class. Demba Ba and Cisse for example had never played at that level before proving themselves. It''s a matter of good scouting IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="paul moy"]I still think we are lacking a pacey striker of Prem class. Hopefully we will make some movement in filling this ''gap''.[/quote]But a proven PL goal scorer costs big bucks, and if by some miracle we pick one up cheap (transfer fee), their wages are more than we can pay. I really don''t think we''ll be making a ''big'' signing. We''re much more likely to pick a striker up from The Championship, if we buy one at all.[/quote]

They don''t have to have played in the Prem to have Prem class. Demba Ba and Cisse for example had never played at that level before proving themselves. It''s a matter of good scouting IMO.

[/quote]That''s true, of course, but how many strikers are there out there with that kind of pedigree, that wouod be willing to come here and play for 20k a week, that don''t have other clubs sniffing around who would be willing to pay double that or more?