Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

Holts Agent is in the press again Lee Payne'intheass!

@Kolin Kob

Please explain why Grant Holt trying to get a significiant pay rise in Football is greed and not looking after his family?

Lets say for example that he wants to send his kids to private school. Perhaps he believes that means giving his kids the best chance of success? Decent private schools can cost between 6k to 30k a year. If he sent his 3 girls to private education aged 4 to 18, at 6k a year, that''s still roughly 300k. Then University afterwards + postgraduade study, possibly 200k+. So 500k. He probably doesn''t have that saved already, and he might want to consider money for himself and his wife if he cant get a well paid job after football.

Nobody is trying to tug at heart strings. Try and put yourself in Holt''s position. As a father he might be considering things like this. It isn''t greed, perhaps just trying to give his family the best opportunities in life.

[quote user="Josh"]@Kolin Kob Please explain why Grant Holt trying to get a significiant pay rise in Football is greed and not looking after his family? Lets say for example that he wants to send his kids to private school. Perhaps he believes that means giving his kids the best chance of success? Decent private schools can cost between 6k to 30k a year. If he sent his 3 girls to private education aged 4 to 18, at 6k a year, that''s still roughly 300k. Then University afterwards + postgraduade study, possibly 200k+. So 500k. He probably doesn''t have that saved already, and he might want to consider money for himself and his wife if he cant get a well paid job after football. Nobody is trying to tug at heart strings. Try and put yourself in Holt''s position. As a father he might be considering things like this. It isn''t greed, perhaps just trying to give his family the best opportunities in life.[/quote]

Dont you think that £15k a week thats £780k per year and over £1.5m( plus staying up bonus) for the 2 years hes got left on his contract  is enough to give his family a good life ?

Plus surely he has managed to save a decent nest egg over the last 3 years with us??

@cityangel

Remember he would get taxed 50% on £15k, so that''s 7.5k. Then probably 10% to his agent, so 6.75k per week. Over 52 weeks that''s 351k a year. He''s had this contract for a year so maybe he''s saved 275-300k. His prior 2 years were on a league 1 contract which I suspect would have been under half what he''s currently on so I doubt he''s saved that much. Perhaps 200k over those 2 years? So maybe he''s saved 475k. I wouldn''t imagine he''s saved that much before he joined us either. This might sound crazy money to us but I doubt he''s saved enough to set his family up for life or give his kids the best possible eduation just yet.

Time for him to go. He could have done his business with the club in private. He didn''t and damaged the club in the process. No way back for him now in my opinion. Get 5 million for him and move on

[quote user="Josh"]@Kolin Kob

Please explain why Grant Holt trying to get a significiant pay rise in Football is greed and not looking after his family?

Lets say for example that he wants to send his kids to private school. Perhaps he believes that means giving his kids the best chance of success? Decent private schools can cost between 6k to 30k a year. If he sent his 3 girls to private education aged 4 to 18, at 6k a year, that''s still roughly 300k. Then University afterwards + postgraduade study, possibly 200k+. So 500k. He probably doesn''t have that saved already, and he might want to consider money for himself and his wife if he cant get a well paid job after football.

Nobody is trying to tug at heart strings. Try and put yourself in Holt''s position. As a father he might be considering things like this. It isn''t greed, perhaps just trying to give his family the best opportunities in life.[/quote]Everyone could always justify clamouring for more money in their lives by using their family as the same reason. This is not something particularly to praise someone for, and I don''t think this argument stands up as a result. I hate the suggestion that someone by simply earning more money is somehow doing a virtuous act. Are people who do not scramble for as much money as they possibly can in their lives less honourable, decent people? I certainly think not. Wealth does not equal virtue.My key point more (perhaps a bit garbled), anyway, is that Grant Holt''s agent had no right to push for better terms for Holt and to see it as an injustice that he was put towards the back of a queue as other players'' contracts were sorted out - players who without havng their contracts sorted quickly would no longer have a club or a job.I don''t think Grant Holt will have done anything wrong by leaving; he''s been a great player for us and he will remain a folk hero whatever, I am sure.

[quote user="Josh"]@cityangel

Remember he would get taxed 50% on £15k, so that''s 7.5k. Then probably 10% to his agent, so 6.75k per week. Over 52 weeks that''s 351k a year. He''s had this contract for a year so maybe he''s saved 275-300k. His prior 2 years were on a league 1 contract which I suspect would have been under half what he''s currently on so I doubt he''s saved that much. Perhaps 200k over those 2 years? So maybe he''s saved 475k. I wouldn''t imagine he''s saved that much before he joined us either. This might sound crazy money to us but I doubt he''s saved enough to set his family up for life or give his kids the best possible eduation just yet.[/quote]That''s not right. Firstly the wages that are quoted for footballers are AFTER TAX. However, even if that wasn''t the case your calculations are way off as it''s much more complicated than that and the deductions don''t come from the figures you''ve stated.The thing with footballers wages is that everything is all relative. You live to your means. In my first job I took home £120 a week. I lived to my means then but every time I got a better job and earned more money I''d live to my means with that cash. There is NO way I''d survive today on what I earned a few years ago. It''s no different for footballers.