Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Transfer Silly Season To Begin Next Week?

The euros will be over and managers and chairmen alike will be returning to work. The trickle of transfers thats been happening recently will turn into a flood.

Thats what I think anyway.

I think many clubs are going to be playing the "cleverer" card and asking for hugely inflated prices for players leading to a relatively quiet first few weeks then a hectic last week. Record levels of tapping up and auctioneering by media this window, "He''s not for sale at any price but we might listen to an eye popping offer", "could move to xxxx in a switch that could see him double/treble his wages"etc.etc, it just seems it''s not only the usual suspects who are at it already. The lure of next years new tv rights deal might see a few clubs overextend and some crazy money eg Soton offering £6m for a reserve goalkeeper who hasn''t even played for the first team yet but overall I think we''ll be surprised by how little is spent this year if we exclude the basket case clubs.Can''t see any deal in excess of £10m involving a British player.

Most managers etc returned to work last Monday - the Euros really isn''t that important to 99% of football managers and only a few in the Premier League will be involved or looking to scout players there.

Most of the players who were going to move had it arranged before the Euros kicked off - Gebre Selassie had arranged his move to Werder Bremer, Pilar to Wolfsburg, Mandzukic to Bayern, Giroud and Poldoski to Arsenal. Many of these transfers were announced during the Euros, but they had all been sorted out in the weeks building up to it.

You can already see that things are building up a head of steam, Danny Murphy to Blackburn, Sigurdsson to Tottenham, and numerous other deals in the lower leagues.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]And like you Beth, I''m fed up with waiting for news on our first signing...[/quote]

I''m not that fed up - very few teams have done much business and the change of manager was always going to delay things a few weeks.

There is so much football and other sports this summer it is flying by.

Wait until the managers are sorted out.

Then a big club will splash the cash on a medium club.

Then this club will filter the money downwards.

And so on.

Its hardly been a transfer frenzy has it

Week Commencing    Number of   transfers
4th June18
11th June16
18th June39
25th June29