Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Why do I want England

[quote user="Lambert is god"]"He was Inter manager for 2 years between 1995 - 1997, finishing 7th and 3rd with two of Inter''s worst ever squads.

He got Switzerland the being the 3rd highest rank international team in the World and he successfully qualified them for the 1994 World Cup (losing only one game and topping their group) and Euro ''96."

This paints only part of the picture. Hodgson inherited an Inter team that had finished 6th the previous season, and he was given a lot to spend.

Hodgson took over managing Switzerland from Stielike, who had previously been the most successful manager in Switzerland''s history (suggesting Hodgson was taking over a very good squad).

Other than that, Hodgson moved Blackburn up 7 places in the Prem, got Fulham a very good finish on the coattails of Fayed''s millions, and won the Swedish League with Halmstad.

He has had 20 jobs, many of which were unsuccessful, and seems to have been a perpetual nomad. Not very reassuring given that he has been a manager for nearly half a century.

[/quote]
How have these jobs been unsuccessful? Not disagreeing as such, I just wish to know how you came to this judgment. 

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

Gareth,

Can''t quite believe your comment about some others believing that Clough did not achieve more than Hodgson.

Also, Hodgson actually signed Chris Smalling after he had been at Middlesbrough, so he was not exactly an unknown, and he was being chased at the time by a number of other league clubs when Hodgson did sign him.

I would defy you to name too many other "undiscovered" lower-league players Hodgson signed (contrast even with Lambert here, and the same with Clough, O''Neill and many others before them).

The England hierarchy have always had a habit of appointing mamnagers who tow the party line, rather than an outstanding candidate for the job. I do agree with you that Redknapp was about the only other option.

[/quote]
He''s discovered quite a few foreign gems. Hangeland for instance, Scott Allen more recently. Hodgsons reputation is not one of finding hidden talent, it is one of finding average too below average players and making the team greater than the sum of it''s parts. One thing that has to be said is that the vast majority of Hodgson''s premier league signings have previously been disappointing at other clubs (often having been relegated) and turning them into good players. England are a team of average too below average players who have always been disappointing according to some people. Hodgson is probably the best choice the FA could have made, given the circumstances.
I don''t agree with every decision he has made. Downing is an inferior midfielder to Pilkington or Surman. Glenn Johnson is an awful right back, Richards is better. Taking both Gerrard and Lampard is wrong, as is selecting only 4 strikers, especially when one is set too miss the first two games.

I have to say im not looking forward to the Euro''s like i usually am but i will always support england, nothing will change.