Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Why do I want England

to get hammered on Saturday?

Why do I want Carroll to have a stinker and Wellbeck''s injury to heal slowly?

Why do I have a nose-bleed everytime I see Hodgson interviewed on the TV?

Why am I more keen on Englebert winning the Eurovision Song Contest than England winning the Euros.

Is it just ''Grant Holt Syndome'' or are there wider issues?

Totally irrational as I am always a fervent England supporter whatever the game, whatever the tournament.

I was looking forward to the Euros immensly and really hope that I regain my enthusiasm for the National Team by then.

Is this child-like reaction unique to me or do I share it with other budgies?

"I''m only giving you your ball back if you let me play. So there!"

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

I''m the same really.

I just can''t be enthusiastic about the selection, not so much Holt being out, just the whole thing. Not remotely interested to be honest.

Football free Summer, just focussed on Norwich.

Hmm, I''m still getting behind the team. Why not? Hodsgon is a great manager and it''s a fresh start for the lads. Fair enough A.Johnson and Holt should be there over Carroll and Downing, but there you go... [:(]

I''ve always been a bit ambivalent towards England, apart from when I have been living abroad. I think it is an over exposure thing - especially during Euro ''96 with all the ''let''s bash the Hun'' stuff.

However, I''m quite looking forward to seeing Roy''s England, main due to the man himself who I''ve always been a fan of, but also due to the fact England are now plucky underdogs, rather than underachieving losers.

I absolutely love international tournaments though and generally sail through without really supporting one team or another and just hope to see some good games, or see some players I''ve only heard about playing (although with greater coverage of every league than ever before, these unknows are becoming fewer and fewer). I''m really looking forward to the Euros and then the Olympics - where the football element is often very exciting and throws up a lot of surprises.

Looking like it will be a cracking summer of football, especially as Lambert and McNally start to bring in those ''identified'' players. Don''t stress so much about England and just try to enjoy the games - Group B in the Euros is going to be a cracker!

Not Unique !!!! I  am having exactly the same childish thoughts .

More ...or at least as much  because I really  dont get  most of the  team  Woy  selected , I believed him to be a  pretty decent manager/coach, but he  totally  bottled it on this selection .....too many Liverpool.......after maybe their worst season ever ....and not only left out  Holt and Johnson , but  a few others who in my opinion were more deserving of a place in the squad .

With a  feeling of resignation I will most likely watch the games , but  feel no excitement whatsoever ...thanks Woy .

[quote user="First Wizard"]Thank Gawd its not just me who feels vindictive on this matter.[/quote]

Our mutual petulance might hopefully disappear when we come up against France in the Euros.

It is fairly acceptable hoping for a thrashing from lovely little Norway when suffering from this syndrome, but maybe facing the French will be the perfect anecdote to our malaise. 

I really don''t understand how anyone could be backing Woy. He has proven himself useless before a ball has even been kicked with his utterly shocking selection. He can''t manage anyone with an ego as he proved at Liverpool (and before anyone says Inter Milan - he was there for 2 bloody months and didn''t get the job on a permanent basis).

And went in the press saying he was 100% convinced that the Tamas elbow (you know the completely intentional one that left Vaughan needing plastic surgery) was unintentional (see link if you need to review it) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl306x_tamas-elbows-vaughan_sport

The guy is just a buffoon. Yes he was successful at Fulham, but Mike Walker was successful with us, didn''t mean he could do it anywhere else. Everyone harps on about Roy''s credentials of winning trophies. Yes he has, in the bloody scandinavian league. That''s like saying that the bloke who manages the local pub team that won the league is worthy of the England job.

He is nothing but a pathetic yes man and I think he will be an utter disaster. I feel bad for ruddy but I''m also kind of glad he won''t be part of the squad that is eliminated before game 2.

[quote user="Xavi- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I will always completely support England.

I don''t care who is involved with the national side. I am english and will never want us to lose.[/quote]

I''m with you.

[quote user="kick it off"]I really don''t understand how anyone could be backing Woy. He has proven himself useless before a ball has even been kicked with his utterly shocking selection. He can''t manage anyone with an ego as he proved at Liverpool (and before anyone says Inter Milan - he was there for 2 bloody months and didn''t get the job on a permanent basis). And went in the press saying he was 100% convinced that the Tamas elbow (you know the completely intentional one that left Vaughan needing plastic surgery) was unintentional (see link if you need to review it) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl306x_tamas-elbows-vaughan_sport The guy is just a buffoon. Yes he was successful at Fulham, but Mike Walker was successful with us, didn''t mean he could do it anywhere else. Everyone harps on about Roy''s credentials of winning trophies. Yes he has, in the bloody scandinavian league. That''s like saying that the bloke who manages the local pub team that won the league is worthy of the England job. He is nothing but a pathetic yes man and I think he will be an utter disaster. I feel bad for ruddy but I''m also kind of glad he won''t be part of the squad that is eliminated before game 2.[/quote]

He was Inter manager for 2 years between 1995 - 1997, finishing 7th and 3rd with two of Inter''s worst ever squads.

He got Switzerland the being the 3rd highest rank international team in the World and he successfully qualified them for the 1994 World Cup (losing only one game and topping their group) and Euro ''96.

Just because he has achieved things in leagues you haven''t heard of with teams your meagre knowledge of football doesn''t allow you to understand doesn''t mean he isn''t obviously an excellent coach and tactician.

[quote user="kick it off"]I really don''t understand how anyone could be backing Woy. He has proven himself useless before a ball has even been kicked with his utterly shocking selection. He can''t manage anyone with an ego as he proved at Liverpool (and before anyone says Inter Milan - he was there for 2 bloody months and didn''t get the job on a permanent basis).

And went in the press saying he was 100% convinced that the Tamas elbow (you know the completely intentional one that left Vaughan needing plastic surgery) was unintentional (see link if you need to review it) http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl306x_tamas-elbows-vaughan_sport

The guy is just a buffoon. Yes he was successful at Fulham, but Mike Walker was successful with us, didn''t mean he could do it anywhere else. Everyone harps on about Roy''s credentials of winning trophies. Yes he has, in the bloody scandinavian league. That''s like saying that the bloke who manages the local pub team that won the league is worthy of the England job.

He is nothing but a pathetic yes man and I think he will be an utter disaster. I feel bad for ruddy but I''m also kind of glad he won''t be part of the squad that is eliminated before game 2.[/quote]

Pure, unadulterated idiocy.

Kick it off, I agree with a lot of your points.

I thought the defending of Tamas for the elbow on Vaughan was disgraceful.

As England manager, he has so far taken few "high-risk" decisions. Kept a lot of the old guard, making Gerrard captain, and even picking Carroll regardless of the fact that he has been woeful for most of the season.

This mirrors what he did at West Brom. Organised their defence, but signed no-one who was the least bit risky (pretty much all his signings were well-known, e.g. Long, who was hardly a "good call"). Not a Pilkington, Bennett, Tierney, etc. to be found among them at WBA. Now not a Ricky Lambert, a Holt or anyone beyond the safe options, and certainly no emphasis on youth, like Germany did last time round.

His one redeeming feauture is that he is a good organiser. His training sessions are reputed to be utterly boring, with one regular routine involving players attached to ropes, to coach the required distances between players and the team''s shape.

A whiner at the best of times, I simply cannot believe he is remotely inspirational or good at motivating players.

As Kick it off says, his international track record is one of a nomad coaching lots of teams in really poor leagues.

Still, not bad for an ex-PE teacher.

Other than that, I quite like him.

I didn''t really intend this thread to develop into a discussion on the merits or otherwise of Roy Hodgson as a football coach/manager. This already has been done to death on here and elsewhere.

His CV is decent enough but, as a safe bet, he reminds me more of a McClaren than a Mourinho, although I would expect him to offer more than the former did.

Whilst being amazed at some of his selections, I really hope that that there is an international footballing genius beneath that dullish exterior. I suspect he''ll do a decent job.

My O/P was really a cry for help as I wanted to share my current feelings with fellow budgies who were suffering in a similar way.

Perhaps I should have emailed  Dr. Martin Scurr of the Daily Mail for guidance after all.

As I said, let''s hope France provide the anecdote.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

to get hammered on Saturday?

Why do I want Carroll to have a stinker and Wellbeck''s injury to heal slowly?

Why do I have a nose-bleed everytime I see Hodgson interviewed on the TV?

Why am I more keen on Englebert winning the Eurovision Song Contest than England winning the Euros.

Is it just ''Grant Holt Syndome'' or are there wider issues?

Totally irrational as I am always a fervent England supporter whatever the game, whatever the tournament.

I was looking forward to the Euros immensly and really hope that I regain my enthusiasm for the National Team by then.

Is this child-like reaction unique to me or do I share it with other budgies?

"I''m only giving you your ball back if you let me play. So there!"

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

[/quote]

Scotland fans would love their nation to be playing in the forthcoming Euros and you know they''d back the manager and his squad selection 100%.I guess the Scots are more patriotic than us.

BroadstairsR, England''s performance and attractiveness will be reflected in their manager. Safe selections, good organisation, with at best a couple of plodding performances.

Will I be watching? Yes, but with no great anticipation or expectation. Shame we as a country have always gone down the Graham Taylor/Steve Maclaren route rather than the Clough/O''Neill one, though options have been very limited recently with the choice of managers willing or able to do it being so poor.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

Kick it off, I agree with a lot of your points.

I thought the defending of Tamas for the elbow on Vaughan was disgraceful.

As England manager, he has so far taken few "high-risk" decisions. Kept a lot of the old guard, making Gerrard captain, and even picking Carroll regardless of the fact that he has been woeful for most of the season.

This mirrors what he did at West Brom. Organised their defence, but signed no-one who was the least bit risky (pretty much all his signings were well-known, e.g. Long, who was hardly a "good call"). Not a Pilkington, Bennett, Tierney, etc. to be found among them at WBA. Now not a Ricky Lambert, a Holt or anyone beyond the safe options, and certainly no emphasis on youth, like Germany did last time round.

His one redeeming feauture is that he is a good organiser. His training sessions are reputed to be utterly boring, with one regular routine involving players attached to ropes, to coach the required distances between players and the team''s shape.

A whiner at the best of times, I simply cannot believe he is remotely inspirational or good at motivating players.

As Kick it off says, his international track record is one of a nomad coaching lots of teams in really poor leagues.

Still, not bad for an ex-PE teacher.

Other than that, I quite like him.

[/quote]
Managers always protect their players, unless Tamas stabbed Vaughan in the middle of the pitch I would expect nothing less than Hodgson to give full backing. We don''t know what happens behind closed doors, he may have really tore into Tamas but publically you always defend your players. Lambert does this as well, any manager worth his salt does.
Hodgson doesn''t do ''risks'' if he views them as unnecessary, West Brom had the money to buy Long, so they brought Long why buy an inferior player just so you can take a ''risk''. Also that''s grossly unfair on him. At Fulham he was the manager who signed Hangeland who had only ever played in ''really poor leagues'' and been capped by a below average Norway side. Also he brought in Chris Smalling, you know the England international, from non-league football! Anyway that''s beside the point, Hodgsons reputation is one of taking average teams and making them good, sounds like the right man for the England job to me.
Once again you assume that because of his (unfair) portrayal in the media he is exactly like that behind closed doors. Many people who watched his first training session with England actually praised his motivational skills.
Just because you know nothing about said leagues does not mean they are poor or diminish his achievements in anyway. His first job was at Halmstads  in Sweden, they were among the favourites to be relegated from the Swedish top flight, in his first season Hodgson won the division. He won it again in 1979. He won five consecutive titles with Malmo in Sweden and knocked Inter out of the European cupwith the same team. Hodgson has won 7 Allsvenskans, 2 Svenska cupen, 1 Danish Superliga, 1 Danish Super Cup. Been a runner up in both the UEFA cup and Europa league. Like many you only base Hodgson of his record in England, in Sweden he''s a footballing legend, he''s widely respected in Italy and Denmark for his footballing knowledge. The Swiss think he''s one of their greatest ever managers and he achieved relative success with Finland.
I''m willing to give Hodgson a chance based on his reputation, a pity many other refuse to do the same.     

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

BroadstairsR, England''s performance and attractiveness will be reflected in their manager. Safe selections, good organisation, with at best a couple of plodding performances.

Will I be watching? Yes, but with no great anticipation or expectation. Shame we as a country have always gone down the Graham Taylor/Steve Maclaren route rather than the Clough/O''Neill one, though options have been very limited recently with the choice of managers willing or able to do it being so poor.

[/quote]
Who else is there? Harry Redknapp? Hodgson is the most outstanding candidate of all possible English options. Taylor and Stevie were nowhere near as successful as Hodgson has been over his career. Clough was the only one you mentioned who could boast to having acheived more than Hodgson, and that''s debatable for some people!  

Gareth,

Can''t quite believe your comment about some others believing that Clough did not achieve more than Hodgson.

Also, Hodgson actually signed Chris Smalling after he had been at Middlesbrough, so he was not exactly an unknown, and he was being chased at the time by a number of other league clubs when Hodgson did sign him.

I would defy you to name too many other "undiscovered" lower-league players Hodgson signed (contrast even with Lambert here, and the same with Clough, O''Neill and many others before them).

The England hierarchy have always had a habit of appointing mamnagers who tow the party line, rather than an outstanding candidate for the job. I do agree with you that Redknapp was about the only other option.

I here were you are coming from, the squad selection of Carrol over Holt has given me a feeling of same old selection and not based on merit or ability with the potential for another poor showing.

When first match played then maybe things pick up.

I may not want it, but I doubt if they will make much progress. The team is likely to be composed mostly of "nearly past it" and "unknown quantity but who happen to play for one of the big clubs."

For whatever reason, and possibly because the Premiership has so many foreign players, we are not producing many outstanding English players. Is it because they have to wait so long on the bench, or come on as substitutes, that they struggle to break through, or is our system at fault? I don''t know. I do know that are are some very average players likely to be picked.

Perhaps we need another failure to change things?

[quote user="kick it off"]Lol. Pinkun posters really do bite at anything huh?[/quote]Ah the old ''I was only joking'' defence to cover up your ignorance. Nothing to do with the fact that you got owned in the posts that followed? Also, and I apologise if I am wrong and am thinking of another poster, but don''t your footballing allegiances lie with Poland?[quote user="Shyster"]Scotland fans would love their nation to

be playing in the forthcoming Euros and you know they''d back the manager

and his squad selection 100%.I guess the Scots are more patriotic than us.[/quote]Seems that way Shyster. I would never want England to fail (I have raised doubts about just how good we really are and predicted losses in the past but never actively wanted us to lose) and cannot understand why anyone would. If people are really hoping England lose because Grant Holt missed out on the squad then they should be ashamed. Sadly pride in ones country these days is measured by signing a meaningless petition or liking some cause on Facebook rather than actually doing anything that supports England.Stick a English flag up in your window and like Help For Heroes on Facebook and you''re a patriot. Absolute bull$shit..

The way I see is that Hodgson hasn''t exactly had much time to get his own group of players together for this tournament so I think he''s basically gone with several of the old guard and is saying to them that this likely to be their last chance with England, a chance to go out on a high. Perhaps even giving them the message that if they do come good for England then they''ve got a chance of keeping their international career alive beyond this tournament.

It was either that or draft in a load of younger/inexperienced players and chuck them in at the deep end but I think he''s saving them to build something for the next World Cup and other tournaments in the years to come.

I think it''s important that England go to the Euros and show themselves to be competitive, something to start to win back a few of the fans who would now rather slate the team than get behind them.

"He was Inter manager for 2 years between 1995 - 1997, finishing 7th and 3rd with two of Inter''s worst ever squads.

He got Switzerland the being the 3rd highest rank international team in the World and he successfully qualified them for the 1994 World Cup (losing only one game and topping their group) and Euro ''96."

This paints only part of the picture. Hodgson inherited an Inter team that had finished 6th the previous season, and he was given a lot to spend.

Hodgson took over managing Switzerland from Stielike, who had previously been the most successful manager in Switzerland''s history (suggesting Hodgson was taking over a very good squad).

Other than that, Hodgson moved Blackburn up 7 places in the Prem, got Fulham a very good finish on the coattails of Fayed''s millions, and won the Swedish League with Halmstad.

He has had 20 jobs, many of which were unsuccessful, and seems to have been a perpetual nomad. Not very reassuring given that he has been a manager for nearly half a century.

Guess the question is if we reached the final would those who have no interest suddenly become interested?England are like Norwich to me, Ill support them through thick and thin. The leaner times make the eventual good times that much sweeter.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]"He was Inter manager for 2 years between 1995 - 1997, finishing 7th and 3rd with two of Inter''s worst ever squads.

He got Switzerland the being the 3rd highest rank international team in the World and he successfully qualified them for the 1994 World Cup (losing only one game and topping their group) and Euro ''96."

This paints only part of the picture. Hodgson inherited an Inter team that had finished 6th the previous season, and he was given a lot to spend.

Hodgson took over managing Switzerland from Stielike, who had previously been the most successful manager in Switzerland''s history (suggesting Hodgson was taking over a very good squad).

Other than that, Hodgson moved Blackburn up 7 places in the Prem, got Fulham a very good finish on the coattails of Fayed''s millions, and won the Swedish League with Halmstad.

He has had 20 jobs, many of which were unsuccessful, and seems to have been a perpetual nomad. Not very reassuring given that he has been a manager for nearly half a century.

[/quote]

I don''t see that as a problem at all - Hodgson has moved around a lot as he has often wanted to go off somewhere new and try something new. This has given he a wealth of experience and makes him far more suited to international football than someone who has only ever managed in one country.

Not saying Hodgson is the greatest manager ever, but he is a hell of a lot better than most of the other names being thrown around. Who did you expect to be given the job? Jose? Pep? They wouldn''t touch it with a barge pole.

I use to love watching England but over the last decade, i have lost that passion!! One thing that sticks out was the last World Cup where Shrek Rooney had a rant about the Fans Booing after USA game!! Well if they had put a half decent performance in they would have beaten them, then we Played that massive Football Nation Slovenia the whole country goes OTT!!

Bethnal, I agree that there wasn''t really anyone else other than Redknapp, so Hobson''s choice. And that no-one who is any good would want the job.

Yes, Hodgson has tonnes of international "experience" but his overall record over about 45 years isn''t that good, and perhaps not much better than random.