Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Next Season - Let's not Panic

So we''re going down. Fact deal with it. However I''ve seen a few posts looking for a mass clear out. This is not necessary I would let Green go along with Leon if we can get some cash for him. Helveg and Jonson can go as well. But apart from that everyone must stay, Fleming, Holt will do a grand job in Div 1 and can be replaced when we go to the premiership.

Worthington priority must be the right side which hassn''t be sorted for yonks i say Ifill and Nosowrthy would be just the ticket, giving us a 4-4-2 as follows

Ward

Nosworthy Doherty Shackell Drury : With Fleming / Charlton / Edworthy as cover

Ifill Francis Holt McVeigh : With Safri Brennan Henderson as Backup

Ashton Huckerby : with Svensson (who will be important if Ashton gets injured) , Jarvis and Crow

Then use the money to buy a real quality CB and Midfield general when we get promoted

As said the other day, we can''t hang onto oldies like Fleming, Holt etc if we go down, because this will do us no good. We need them replaced by the time we start next season in the Championship to be ready for a promotion push. We don''t know they''ll do a ''grand'' job, because they''re not getting any younger, and you''ve got to remember that there might be some quality sides we come up against next season. They should go now, but unfortunately they''re both tied to long term contracts.

I agree with what you''re saying Ulf.  I''m sure a few players will leave but I''m positive there won''t be a West Ham/Leeds type exodus. 

I really don''t think we will have as much money as people think we will to spend though.  Some of the players that we are linking oursleves with and putting on our wish list are just out of our price range.  I really don''t think we will be able to spend £3/4M on replacements in the summer.  I think we will be looking at free''s and loans

I think we may have a bit given Green will probably go for 3-4mill and we will have those all important parachute payments and probably Helveg, Bentley, Jonson off the wage bill. Some players may also have relegation wage drops......

I think pre-season next year is crucial and Worhtington must get it right otherwise he maybe ina bit of bother

[quote]I agree with what you''re saying Ulf. I''m sure a few players will leave but I''m positive there won''t be a West Ham/Leeds type exodus. I really don''t think we will have as much money as people think...[/quote]

I think you are right DDIM, there will not be much money.  Ashton will still be being paid for next season if my recolection of the transfer details are correct.  Also I can''t imagine that many players will leave or be sold.  I think Green is the most likely to go but I think his value has dropped and so has the amount of interested parties.  I don''t think that we have many players that are that desirable and are worth BIG money full stop.

Selling Leon would be very stupid IMO. Hes worked hard this season and recently has started living up to the expectations. He may not have set the prem alight but i strongly believe he will be superb in the Championship and i wouldnt be suprising if he was one of the top goalscorers(assuming we play him).

I agree that we shouldnt have a clearout but that doesnt mean that we play the same players. The squad needs a lot of strengthening if we are to come back up again. As you say, Holt and Fleming etc should be used as backup.

Michael Chopra will be joining us on a bozzy from Newcastle in the summer. Worthington will want him to form a partnership with Ashton that can get us the goals to fire us back to the Premiership. That is my strongest hunch for new signings. I also have hunches about Jan Kristiansen and Ritchie Partridge and a very slight one about John Halls. Remember these as i reckon at least two of the above mentioned players will be at city come the start of next season.

[quote]Michael Chopra will be joining us on a bozzy from Newcastle in the summer. Worthington will want him to form a partnership with Ashton that can get us the goals to fire us back to the Premiership. Tha...[/quote]

I dont think you''ll see Jan Kristiansen here (I doubt Worthy will trust another foreigner quite so soon) but I seriously hope Partridge, Halls and to a lesser extent Chopra join us (I think if Chopra can develop he''ll be a good player).