Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Then and now

We have had two excellent games over the week-end, which have more or less guaranteed survival but even more, made us feel that the tough games of the run-in can be faced confidently.

So I wondered, has our performance recently been a great improvement on earlier in the season when we could not  beat a top-six tream? (We have only beaten one, so we must not get carried away.) It has to be said that we beat Spurs with one or two important players rested.

There are a number of improvements:

The signings of Bennett R and Howson, who are both beginning to make significant contributions.

Improvements in players, as they have learned to adapt to the Premiership. I would include here especially Bennett E, but many others are becoming more adept at playing at this level. We don''t concede so many penalties these days, which suggests that lessons have been learned. The skill and experience of Drury has recently been invaluable.

We have a larger effective squad, especially among the central midfielders.We have been able torealise our "dream" of playing with two wingers.

We did go off the boil a few weeks back, for whatever reason, but with the contribution of the newcomers and improvements from those signed before last August, and above all the continued team spirit, we have been able to play effectively with serious injuries to Tierney and Ayala, and complete absence of Vaughan.

We have some tough matches, beginning next Saturday, and we are going to get beaten, but my feeling is that we have a much stronger squad now then in the earlier days of the season. We can look forward with confidence, and even hope for a slightly better outcome from the reverse matches against the top teams. Before the Everton match, and after a poor run, some of us were beginning to to look to see where we could scrape a point or two to achieve the 40 level. Now even nearer 50 points seems a possibility.

Whilst we have continued to sake individual errors at times and perhaps not been to ruthless in front of goal what has happened is the interplay between midfield players has been breathtaking at times. The Spuds game was when it all came together.

H

Which is the only top 6 club we''ve beaten this season?  Newcastle or Tottenham?

As for the topic, I find it interesting all the comparisons to Blackpool have finally stopped.

think its worth adding, but at the start of the season the only expectations anyone had before a ball was even kicked was premier league survival, and finishing 17th by any means necessary.I do feel some fans have got greedy this season and expectations of some fans are set far to high for a club who''s only in it''s first season back in the big time but it''s also worth mentioning Norwich didn''t just survive in the premier league this season, they held their own for large amounts of it and thats something to be very proud of, it wasn''t always pretty but it was effective.Next season will be interesting [:)]

If i''m allowed to be the nasty cynical piece of work I know I am, I might comment on how silly those who booed after the Wigan home game appear now.Not that I would say it of course.

To get promoted and only get stuffed once ( man city ) speaks volumes for the manager and coaching staff , coupled with the fact that only Man u have doubled us and we have scored against EVERY premier league club is way better than any of us could have hoped for .

It is in our hands to completely wreck Man City''s season.

Last time we were frightened of them; this time they had better be afraid of what we might do to them.