Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

Bronze statue for Fash campaign

There has been talk of a bronze statue being erected at Carrow Road to celebrate a club legend. I think Justin Fashanu would be perfect. Not only was he a club legend who scored one of the greatest goals ever seen at Carrow Road, he also battled against racism and homophobia for the nest part of his career, and the way his life ended was tragic. A statue of him (in the pose after his goal against Liverpool) would be perfect, especially as racism and homophobia seem to be creeping back into the game once more. There is a Facebook group, if you agree, join here....http://www.facebook.com/groups/301622759897502/

yes its sad that he died young and that he was a tortured soul and yes his goal against liverpool will never be forgotten  ,but if we are going to have a bronze statue to the man for his contribution to norwich city then grant holt should have the ground named after him, OTBC

[quote user="No Quarter"]There has been talk of a bronze statue being erected at Carrow Road to celebrate a club legend. I think Justin Fashanu would be perfect. Not only was he a club legend who scored one of the greatest goals ever seen at Carrow Road, he also battled against racism and homophobia for the nest part of his career, and the way his life ended was tragic. A statue of him (in the pose after his goal against Liverpool) would be perfect, especially as racism and homophobia seem to be creeping back into the game once more. There is a Facebook group, if you agree, join here....http://www.facebook.com/groups/301622759897502/[/quote]Let it go... move on.There are a hundred ex-players ahead of him in terms of status.... and the fact that he was gay is neither here nor there.

I had the upmost respect for Justin Fashanu as a player and a person but please this is just taking it a step too far.I think and this is just my personal opinion that the life of Justin should be remembered for who he was both as a player and a man by those who knew him and those that saw him play.

We all feel for Justin. Much of his life must have been spent in a degree of torment that most of us would be unable to appreciate, thankfully. His sad end was testament to that.

However, it also contained too many sordid moments, especially toward the end  (issues of bribery and under-age sex included) for him to be honoured in this way. He was no Martin Luther King figure after all, just a fine footballer with issues.