Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Jewell Having A Blub In The EADT

There''s a circus in the town, in the town...

Funny stuff, bet Ayala is glad he swerved that one:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/deals_hijacked_unhappy_family_members_unacceptable_valuations_paul_jewell_explains_why_he_has_missed_out_on_his_top_transfer_targets_1_1189223

Frustrated Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell says signing players is harder than many people think.

The Blues boss admits he missed out on many of his top targets last summer for a variety of reasons.

Instead he ended up building a squad packed with loanees and ageing players on short-term contracts.

The mix – he admits – hasn’t been right and the club finds itself just four points above the relegation zone.

Now trying to build for the future by bringing in some young talent, the January transfer window has again proved frustrating.

During an exclusive interview with the EADT this week – more of which can be read in tomorrow’s paper – the exasperated Blues boss indicated to a stack of A4 pages on his desk at the club’s Playford Road training ground.

“I’ve got a list there full with hundreds of players names,” said Liverpudlian, with the look of a man with the world on his shoulders.

“We watch them and watch them; make offers for these players, but the problem is that then draws in bids from elsewhere.

“All of a sudden that player – who looked in reach – goes to a Premier League club.

“I don’t want to tell you all the names we went for last summer, but I think it was well documented that we went for the likes of (Matt) Upson, who went to Stoke, and (Daniel) Ayala, who went to Norwich.”

Checking his phone between questions to see if a player’s representative had got back to him, Jewell continued: “I’ll strangle the next agent who tells me their player ‘just wants to play’.

“They all say that, but then there are always plenty more obstacles in the way.

“You wouldn’t believe some of the reasons I get given, late in a deal, for a player not wanting to come here. Family members suddenly deciding their son can’t live so far away.

“There are so many people claiming to represent players and clubs these days – I can’t begin to explain how tiresome and how time consuming it can begin to get.

“In the past you used to just ring up another manager, agree a price and the player would jump in their car and be on their way. It’s like that any more, there’s so much red tape.”

He added: “I think there’s also a misconception that Ipswich blow people out of the water when it comes to wages – we don’t.

“We’re not poor payers, but we’re not in the league that people seem to think we are.

“Deals don’t happen sometimes because everyone has to have a price. We are in an economic slump here and football isn’t above that.

“I will always tell the owner when a player is not worth a certain amount. I’ve got a responsibility to do so.

“I can assure you though that no player has slipped through our net through lack of trying.”

A lot of pretty desperate and poor excuses in there for me. Every manager in the country has the same problem and a lot of clubs are all looking at the same players. So if you haven''t got the money then you have to be a bit more creative and explore the lower leagues.

His best signing has been Aaron Cresswell from Tranmere. Which shows what he could of achieved had he been bothered to actually do some research and not just sign players who were good about 5 years ago like Ellington. Or trying to sign players way out of your league like Upson who are never going to join in a million years.

I think the claim he has had no money to spend is a pretty weak excuse as well. Given that he has wasted about 20k a week on Jimmy Bullard and spent about £1 million on Jay Emmanuel Thomas who was struggling to even make the matchday squad at times for Cardiff.

[quote user="Jacko"]A lot of pretty desperate and poor excuses in there for me. Every manager in the country has the same problem and a lot of clubs are all looking at the same players. So if you haven''t got the money then you have to be a bit more creative and explore the lower leagues. His best signing has been Aaron Cresswell from Tranmere. Which shows what he could of achieved had he been bothered to actually do some research and not just sign players who were good about 5 years ago like Ellington. Or trying to sign players way out of your league like Upson who are never going to join in a million years. I think the claim he has had no money to spend is a pretty weak excuse as well. Given that he has wasted about 20k a week on Jimmy Bullard and spent about £1 million on Jay Emmanuel Thomas who was struggling to even make the matchday squad at times for Cardiff.[/quote]

I don''t know wether to laugh or cry, Oh stuff it LETS ALL LAUGH AT IP5HIT  

"I think the claim he has had no money to spend is a pretty weak excuse"However it is the reality of things at poorman road - hence the worn out, has beens Jewell fished out of the waste bin this summer.The binners make much and squeak considerably about the milions nad millions they have spent, yet time and time again those figures don''t show up in the annual accounts. Even Keane spoke out, claiming the figures were innaccurate. Too many fans mistake buying out a players contract with a transfer fee. Check the words of the Crewe manager last week when he was talking about the impoverished state of our skint neighbours. With constant falling income the paupers are stuggling, more so since Clegg stated that the club will have to pay it''s way ie break even. This is what has led to the club stumbling from one disaster to another. The idea that they can no longer ponce off others has rather shook this grubby little clubs and it''s dimwitted fans. Lord alone knows what would happen were they ever to be obliged to pay back what they have borrowed. Perhaps administration would be the kindest thing.There is also the little matter of ambition. Would you, as an ambitious player, want to join a club that is in a permanent decline ? A club with a squad full of ''misfits'', criminals and no hopers ? Why players with any ability have quietly walked away and what is left is about to follow. Still, they have found their level as Jewell is trying to pick over the bones of the struggling Portsmouth. Which speaks volumes for not only their ambition and morality but their true place in the grand scheme of things.

While I would agree City 1st that the binners are no Leicester City in terms of spending I think both Keane (who is more culpable for me) and Jewell have been given pretty competitive budgets for the division. Its up to you how you utilize them.

If you take our 2008/9 campaign as the template for how not to go about assembling a squad I think they are pretty much following to the letter. A revolving door of short term deals and loan signings. A lack of quality centre halves to give stability for the back for. Hoping out of sheer desperation that strikers well past their best are magically going to recapture the form of about 5 years ago.

For what its worth I think Ipswich will just about be alright this season. They are fortunate that Coventry, Forest and Doncaster seem to be even more desperate to get relegated than they are. Portsmouth forever seem to be on the verge of administration, which may be important at the end of the season.

But if they lost at home to West Ham and away to Coventry in their next 2 games. Things would start to look very bleak for them. I reckon Jewell would also get the boot, which would be the final parallel to our season. Blindly sticking by a manager and then sacking him near the end of the window. Giving the new manager (who wasn''t up to anyway but thats for another thread) no chance whatsoever to bring in any permanent players.

..............then they could appoint Alan Brazil as caretaker, go down with him but, through sentiment give him the job at the start of the League 1 season etc, etc..............

Ip5wich, the sh*thole of East Anglia has a manager made in heaven..........or rather our idea of heaven![IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Angels_and_Demons/praying-angel.GIF[/IMG]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]..............then they could appoint Alan Brazil as caretaker, go down with him but, through sentiment give him the job at the start of the League 1 season etc, etc..............[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=306MpG3YSyE

Not really relevant in anyway to the conversation but still funny.