Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

I wonder why?

This is not a criticism of the substitution of Wilbraham for Morison, merely a light puzzlement.

Firstly, it seems that Morison was not injured and so his removal may have been to keep him fresh for Tuesday. If so, was another ten minutes likely to be so harmful for Tuesday freshness? From all accounts Morison seems to have had a quiet game, did he have a cold or something?

Were we going to batten down the hatches and hold on for 1-0. In this case there coud be an argument for a second tall front man to offer another target for a long ball route out of defence.

But the big question is why Wilbrahan was prefered to Pilkington, who is not short and who offers more attacking threat. He and Holt would  make Moyes think twice about encouraging his defenders to go forward. Or are conspiracy theorists right to start thinking that there could be an offer from a big club for Pilkington in January, and the club does not want to risk him unduly?

I am sure that PL had good reasons, and in general his substitutions like his team selections are brilliant. I do, however find it a little strange to expect much impact from a player who has played very little this season for the senior team, whereas Pilkington has demonstrated real impact.

I think more than anything PL is showing us he has confidence in his players. Wilbers could be considered a fringe player, but PL is showing him and us that he does have a role to play.

He could have brought any of them on but maybe his view was that he didn''t want to change the formation so put on a like for like player. And it shows he rates Wilbers to do a job - and that is giving him a boost too.

A strange decision to me. Morison should have been replaced, but by a defensive player really and the wheelie would have been my last choice.

Good result, thanks PL.

I''ve got to say that I really didn''t see Morison as tiring toward the end of yesterday''s match, infact if anything I thought he was still our most willing runner and the best outlet whilst hanging on to the lead. Whilst I''m of course not blaming this on the goal we conceded ,the substitution definately ended us as any sort of attacking threat in the last 10 minutes that may have caught Everton on the break.

Simply put ,neither ourselves or any Premier league club should really have to be in a position to field Wilbraham in any match and better attacking alternatives to bring off the bench must be addressed in January. If Martin is out of the picture and Vaughan''s fitness cannot be relied upon this would only leave Jackson which may not be enough??

Whatever you say about Wilbraham, the manager obviously trusts him to do a job.

Why do people choose to rubbish players we have in the squad? Don''t you trust PL to make good decisions? If not, why not?

It was a straighforward like for like substitution - presumably to keep the same team shape. No problem.

Maybe Lambert thought the physical presence upfront was keeping Everton occupied. If he had brought Pilkington or Jackson that would mean basically going for another goal or if he had brought Barnett on it would be inviting pressure onto us, holding out for win which hasnt been our strong point this season. It didnt work out how we would have liked but dont see why there should be any huge criticism, it was said that Morison was ill all week aswell.

I''m sure we''ve all been watching football long enough to be able to form our own opinions on players and quite what their natural "level" is in the game.

Please don''t try to tell me that Wilbraham is of the necessary quality to bring off the bench in the Premiership?. Most of the strikers in the championship would be a better alternative to have as a substitute?. In my opinion it was actually a blessing when he was injured last season as it forced Lamberts hand in going out and getting 2 better strikers in Vokes and Pacheco to see us over the line. There are dozens of strikers in the world of football that could be sitting on our bench that could be actually make a difference rather than one who until yesterday was just there to make up the numbers.

I know we all have our opinions, GJL, all I am saying is why would PL choose to put him on the pitch if he wasn''t up to the job?  We have other players he could have put on.

I have no reason not to trust his judgement given his record since he''s been here. I just find it surprising that supporters don''t give him - or Wilbraham for that matter - credit for his judgement.

Exactly Dogger. I also think that when he''s played for us in the past he''s been very good at holding the ball up. I understand why Lambert made the change that he did because we were getting hammered and he must have seen Wilbraham as an escape route. Im not sure why he was proffered to do this over Morison but I can see what the idea was for the last quarter of an hour.

Before the game, Morison did post on Twitter that he was suffering from ''Manflu''.

(This was before he deleted his Twitter account!)

Just a like for like substitution to me, he felt Morison was tiring or needed a rest so sent on Albie to hold the ball up.

Unfortunately for the final 20mins we lumped the ball forward aimlessly and invited pressure. Johnson having just come on failed to show Drenthe onto his weaker foot and we conceded.

He''s obviously not a Premier League player but last season Albie was very good in tough away games such as Boro, Leicester & Leeds where we came under severe pressure.

For all his faults he''s good at holding the ball up and being nuisance.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I know we all have our opinions, GJL, all I am saying is why would PL choose to put him on the pitch if he wasn''t up to the job?  We have other players he could have put on.

I have no reason not to trust his judgement given his record since he''s been here. I just find it surprising that supporters don''t give him - or Wilbraham for that matter - credit for his judgement.

[/quote]

Seconded.

This abuse against Wilbraham is very unjustified and rather unsavoury.

He was, I believe, brought into the squad for specific roles: to hold the ball up in the final 3rd, to add something different from the bench, to be a cohesive member of the squad, to add experience, to keep possession when the team is flagging, to get the occasional goal.

He does these things.

Therefore he is doing the job asked of him, and is a useful member of the squad. If he was on top wages it would be different, because he is unlikely to challenge for a starting spot. But I doubt he is. I am very glad Wilbraham plays for us, and I am looking forward to him getting a Premier League goal this season.

[quote user="dhickl"]

Before the game, Morison did post on Twitter that he was suffering from ''Manflu''.

(This was before he deleted his Twitter account!)

[/quote]Wouldn''t be surprised if the two things are linked. Not a good idea to give away to the opposition any possible weakness!