Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Transfer targets?

Dickson Ethutu would be perfect. We should never have let him go. Huckerby said to me recently that Dickson was one of the best players he had ever played with - but he needed to be loved. The crowd was on his back almost instantly and he wasn''t given the adulation he needed to strive as a player.But we ain''t gonna get Dickson - so who would you choose??If we did feel the need to buy a CB I would look no further than Luke Chambers from Nottingham Forest. 

[quote user="1eed5canary"]Dickson Ethutu would be perfect. We should never have let him go. Huckerby said to me recently that Dickson was one of the best players he had ever played with - but he needed to be loved. The crowd was on his back almost instantly and he wasn''t given the adulation he needed to strive as a player.
But we ain''t gonna get Dickson - so who would you choose??

If we did feel the need to buy a CB I would look no further than Luke Chambers from Nottingham Forest.

[/quote]

In practice I doubt we had a choice once Sunderland came in for him, offering Premier League football. It was a similar situation to that with us and Steve Morison. Millwall could in theory have rejected our offer and held him to his contract but decided to cash in on a player whose heart would presumably not be in staying with a Championship club.

The fact that Etuhu has stayed with Premier League clubs since leaving us suggests that he - probably quite rightly - regards himself as a top-flight player. Going to the Premier League - and to a club with Sunderland''s history and support - was bound to be something he wanted to do, and we will have known that.

Luke Chambers & Matt Phillips. Chambers is out of contract in the summer so should be affordable & Blackpool arn''t exactly flush with cash, so Phillips shouldn''t be too expensive either.

We need a holding midfielder too but this is the one area i''m unsure as to who the best option would be, Jimmy Abdou is one as mentioned above but I can''t really think of anyone who jumps at me as an obvious choice who we can afford.