Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Bothroyd to report racist twitter comment

Just seen this artical one the BBC page saying he recived one after the match today via twitter and is going to report it ... however is doesnt indicate if it was a city ''fan''. I hope not, and if not the way the bbc have written that artical it certainly seems to imply so.

it wasn''t a city fan. they tweeted him again saying his mates had his phone and they had raided his twitter but is a pretty controversial tweet to do on someone elses account

I wouldn''t condone abuse and it is great in theory for footballers to be on public forums but.....

.....like teachers who spill the beans about their out of work activities on facebook or police officers who post drunken images of themselves on you tube it really isn''t a great idea.

I don''t know how common it is here but in the USA these sites are scoured by the agents of legal firms when defending law-suits.

Really, these players need to be a little more intelligent about it or else take the Paul Lambert approach to social media.

He''s claiming that his mates (good mates eh?) tweeted on his account.  Allegedly calling Bothroyd a ''lazy n******''.Either way whoever has done it.  These campaigns against personal racial slurs seems to be having a reverse effect for some reason.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I wouldn''t condone abuse and it is great in theory for footballers to be on public forums but..... [/quote]I''m not saying that just because she was wearing a short skirt and was pretty drunk that she was asking for it but........

Quite right, Shack. I suggest prove your point and exercise your civil rights by wearing your Norwich shirt in the home section at Man City next week and sing ''On The Ball City.'' If you get abuse or assaulted you can take the shock revelation to Greater Manchester Police.

Because the scenario you have described is exactly the same as a footballer deciding to have a Twitter account and subsequently receiving racist abuse isn''t it?

[quote user="CaptainHolts"]Not looking good is it? Third case of racism on twitter in 6 months. Good family club image and all...[/quote]You have to be fair though, we are Norfolk folk. Many of us haven''t even seen a black man yet.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I wouldn''t condone abuse and it is great in theory for footballers to be on public forums but.....

.....like teachers who spill the beans about their out of work activities on facebook or police officers who post drunken images of themselves on you tube it really isn''t a great idea.

I don''t know how common it is here but in the USA these sites are scoured by the agents of legal firms when defending law-suits.

Really, these players need to be a little more intelligent about it or else take the Paul Lambert approach to social media.[/quote]

Completely agree, RH.No use in arguing the toss with Shack and his ilk though - he''s part of the BBC, Guardian reading PC mob who shout racism at anyone who ever says anything slightly negative about anyone with a dark pigment in their skin.

I''m not defending abuse, Shyster. I was trying to point out that people need to think about the situations they put themselves in and with social media like twitter you expose yourself to any available moron with a mobile and there are almost as many of these devices as people on the planet.

That said, for the number out there the level of abuse should reassure the recipient that it is rare and that the person involved has the problem. This could be a genuine attitude or just childish mischief - looking for a reaction or anything in between.

I was appalled at the messages sent to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 last week about the McCanns. This stuff was deeply personal and hurtful but was made purely because it is easy to type and send knowing you would cause a reaction.

I know of a 10 year old with problems who has just discovered swearing at his teacher gives him power he never had before because he can choose the event and knows the response. It is empowering. So is social media.

The point I made to Shack is: no matter whether you ought to be able to do something or not you have to evaluate it. Sometimes, a cause is worth fighting for and taking the outcome can be the right thing - we meet our Waterloo. Sometimes it is a Phyrric victory.

I might like to sail around the free world oceans via the Horn of Africa but...............

I forgot to mention, Shack and Shyster that there is also the scenario of choosing to understand something your own way and to your own point of view.

Note how differently each of you interpreted my original post.